Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have knowledge at the pluses and minuses of these 2 types of lines?

I need to replace my lines since I V3 risers which require my front line to be 2 inches longer, and I figured while I'm switching lines, I might as well upgrade, just not sure if Kevlar or Stainless Steel is the way to go...

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
If I recall correctly SS will last indefinately...something about Kevlar breaking down over time,brake fluid/UV rays........
Both have great braking properties.....I have SS on mine....work fine.

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Kevlar lines are lighter but some say they degrade in sunlight. Interestingly, most race teams use steel lines.

You will likely not notice the difference between either line.

If you decide on steel lines, get some with a protective coating to protect the bike from scratches.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The kevlar tend to be less expensive.
They don't look as good at SS.

I can't validate the statement about race teams...from what little research I had time to do, the brake lines i saw were blak. They could be eithr SS or Kevlar. I'm really interested in this topic.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info...I heard Kevler expands even less the the SS lines...might just be marketing BS....

I would hate to have my Kevlar lines break down in sunlight, that seems like a major oversight to me....

ofcourse the Kevlar do seem cheaper and my bike is garage kept so maybe Kevlar might be what I get...

I'll have to do alittle more research.

Also, do I have to get a Zx-6R specific kit? Can I just order parts separatly? IT seems really difficult for me to get a ZX-6R kit with 2 inch longer lines for the front (I have risers).

And if I can just order the parts separately, what all do I need? I never done this before and I'm going to get my cycle savy friend to help me.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You can make your own lines, but if you do not have an assembly tool, it is simpler to get custom pre-made lines. You can then order the size, color, inner diameter, and fitting that you like.

Contact the line manufacturer directly.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I am going SS (instead of kevlar) for the same reasons everyone else has already mentioned. There are some really good deals floating around out there, on galfers especially.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grunt,

if you find any good deals online, let me know....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

Grunt,

if you find any good deals online, let me know....

Andy, check out kneedraggers, the galfer (front) set for the 6R is ~$100, BUT... it also comes with a set of brake pads, SCORE! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.