Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at the track my ignition started acting up. The key wont turn to the off position and I cant take the key out. I can turn it to the parking light setting and since I have no lights its a false off. So since its acting up I would just like to take it off and just run with the stock on off switch. Can anybody give me some info or tips to get this done. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Better to replace the keyswitch, IMO; unless you like a challenge.

Otherwise, you need the wiring diagram; or a VOM and some patience and a notebook. You'll need to make a switched hot bus from the killswitch. Some of the lines from the ignition are +5V, not +12, so you will need a resistor divider to supply those lines. I don't know which wires, sorry.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I went through total hell when I bought an 03 crashed without the key. Jumped out all the wires in the key switch connector and still had a no start condition. (No fuel pump, no spark, FI light flashing, cranked fine) Swapped damn near every component, including the ECU from my 03 to the crashed one. No effect. When out and bought a key blank and reverse engineered the key off the seat lock assembly. Bike started first try. FYI, I have the schematics and have been troubleshooting electronics for years. This one baffled me. I'm sure it can be done but good luck getting it to work. I gave up because I was dumping the bike and only wanted to make sure it ran ok.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have done it to a few of my race bikes and its no biggie. You do need a wiring diagram to put the resister in the correct spot.
-Gabe

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Originally posted by gabe
I have done it to a few of my race bikes and its no biggie. You do need a wiring diagram to put the resister in the correct spot.
-Gabe
any of those race bikes an 03 or up 636?
no, i didnt think so...

As Greenvetter said, our bikes are damn near impossible to hotwire.

ruined a full weekend at the track for me :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.