Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i lost my key for my bike and cant find it anywhere....i call the locksmith and they tell me that its gunna be like 85-150 bucks for a new key to be made...because they have to cut the key 3 times or some bullshit like that....one for the ignition...one for the tank...and one for the "trunk" anyone know any other ideas? or if this shit is true? or anyone sellin those 3 things for cheaper? any help is appreciated...thanks guys in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i did the same thing lost the keys cost me $80. The lock smith came tot he house and had to cut the key for the bike 3 times i watched him do it .

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yea i know they are expensive as hell for bikes. I forget all the reasons why, but i remember i lost my bike keys for a good number of days and decided searching my house would be a better option than tossing 80 bucks to a highway robber

·
Registered
239 Posts
Originally posted by papaja
so i lost my key for my bike and cant find it anywhere....i call the locksmith and they tell me that its gunna be like 85-150 bucks for a new key to be made...because they have to cut the key 3 times or some bullshit like that....one for the ignition...one for the tank...and one for the "trunk" anyone know any other ideas? or if this shit is true? or anyone sellin those 3 things for cheaper? any help is appreciated...thanks guys in advance.
Papa, Did you consult with your MOM (Motorcyle Owner's Manual).

Anyway, I know that being anal and all, I've written the key code down in the section of the MOM for everybike that I've owned and when I've sold the bike, I've given the MOM to the new owner. Did you get/have the MOM, if so it's worth a shot to look in there for the key code. If you have the key code, it will allow you to go the dealership and get a new key made for a hell of a lot cheaper than paying a locksmith.

Yea our motorcycles use a combination key to fit all three locks, so its true that you'll need three keys if made by a locksmith.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When my key was lost I took all the locks off the bike and the gascap to the locksmith. He was able to to make one key to fit all locks within 2 days at a cost of $25.

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 ^^^
If a locksmith can't make one key for all the locks, he's not very good.
BTW, how come you all only have one key? If I only had one or lost one of my two, I'd get another made ASAP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.