Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always see these things that prop the bike up so the tires are off the ground. why do people use these?

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Originally posted by jllohr
i always see these things that prop the bike up so the tires are off the ground. why do people use these?
Uh, are you talking about the center stand that some older bikes (and the baby ninjas) have? And scooters and the like? It's just a different type of stand. It makes it easier to do maintenance and stuff. Nothing wrong with kickstands. The kickstand is for everyday use, parking and the like. The center stand is used for long-term parking and things like chain maintenance and such. But they were pretty trivial, and just added weight once paddock stands caught on, so the manufacturers got rid of them (plus some of them had a nasty tendency of scraping mid-corner).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha no no the ones racers use...the kind that arent connected to the bike, you can get them for the front and the back... and lift the bike completley off the ground

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
Yeah, race stands. Those are nice for long term parking/maintenance as was mentioned by dragknt. I'm planning on getting a full set (front and rear) for storage this winter so I can do some serious work.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by rbray
Yeah, race stands. Those are nice for long term parking/maintenance as was mentioned by dragknt. I'm planning on getting a full set (front and rear) for storage this winter so I can do some serious work.
x2.

Hoping to get some stands for Christmas.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i have a set of race stands, i love them. only thing is get the front one that goes throught tbe bottom of the tripple tree. but makes storage easy, and maintnance easy. i love them.

·
Registered
61 Posts

theres no way you should be riding a zx6 man . sell it and get a 250 and ask that again in 2 years.;)

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
haha no no the ones racers use...the kind that arent connected to the bike, you can get them for the front and the back... and lift the bike completley off the ground
Ah...well race bikes use them because they don't have kickstands, and because they can do faster maintenance. At the Daytona 200 (last few years it's been an AMA Formula Extreme race) they actually have to pit in to change tires because the race is like 68 laps...good shit, and they throw those bikes up on the race stands and Duhamel's pit team changed the rear tire in 13 seconds. Freaking nuts.

People store bikes on race stands in the winter to keep the tires from getting flat spots, to keep it more stable, and so it's easier to spend boat loads of cash on mods and maintenance. :D

But we here in Florida don't have that problem. [:p]

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt

But we here in Florida don't have that problem. [:p]
shut up asshole! :D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I had a rear stand for my bike, its pretty much a necessity if you want to do your own oil changes and what not. It also makes cleaning and oiling the chain MUCH easier it the rear tire can rotate.

Oh yeah, the most important reason to get one is so you can put a naked chick posing on your bike without it falling over ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just didnt know if it was bad to use the regular kickstand for extended periods(winter...) thanks tho

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Yeah, without my Pitbull rear stand, it would be a total bitch doing chain maintenance... only about 8" of the chain shows unless I pull the chainguard. The stand makes it SO much easier to clean the rear wheel too. Well-spent $$$. Only problem is that it's kinda bulky & takes up garage space. I forgot to bring it with us to Deal's Gap, so I had to lube the chain the hard way. I DID remember to bring the chain lube. Lubing it that way SUCKED - put almost 800 miles on it up there (trailered it up in the toy hauler, so there was plenty of room to bring the stand, too). What a putz I am, huh?

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
stands=good! I want to get a front tire one, the rear one has paid for itself 3x's over since i bought it. makes life sooo much easier.

strat

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
just didnt know if it was bad to use the regular kickstand for extended periods(winter...) thanks tho
I haven't had to go through my first winter yet but I've heard that its bad to keep your bike on the kick stand all winter. As Skywalker pointed out, you can get flat spots in your tires and that will ruin your day.

Winter storage sucks ass. Who honestly wants to drain their fluids, remove the battery and buy race stands? Just get some warm gear and run it several times a month. Anything more than 6 weeks and you need to start thinking about long-term storage.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
Stands are nice. We have a site sponsor that sells them. It will leave a flat spot on your tire from sitting, though I change tires every spring anyways. They do make maintenance a whole lot easier. They will pay for themselves after a few chain lubes and oil changes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.