Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were do i start. i just got my bike back this past weekend after it was in the shop for a month[V] for one problem that became another. first i notice that my tachometer would stick when i first would start the bike, so i took it in to the shop because that it is a warrenty item. they could not duplicate, maybe moisture so they say, then it was not reading 1-4 mph, which is nothing big but they didn't know why it wasn't reading the low gears with it being a new bike, my mechanics bike read 1-4mph on his 636. they told me that 5 bike in my area and 6 in Cali had the same problem and its normal for the gear to wear down and the speed sensor will not read the low speed, after they changed my whole electrical system. my bike was kind of the research bike. 1/2 the people that ride bikes with me say that i shouldn't take the bike back because it might lead to other problems and i shouldn't fool with them, others say its a small problem and just to press on. what do any of you think[?] they checked the problem by putting the bike and a rear stand and cutting the bike on and spinning the wheel and you should get your low speeds. i think it should be a recall on their cheap gear they put on the bike

·
Registered
226 Posts
If it's under warranty make them fix it. You have enough to pay for after the warranty expires.

·
Moderhater
62,425 Posts
Ok legends I just spoke to a few mechanics about your problem.
first off the spedometer on kawi's only starts to read at 4mph its just how they are, my 07 zx10 begins reading at 4mph and then of course will read higher with increased speed. its the same on the 06 too! I dont know about the 04 or 05 models though? the tach could be many things, Dirt build up, oil build up? my mechanic said its one of two things the gyro motor in the rpm tach/mfg is dirty or has something that loosens up inside as the bike warms up and it may need to be cleaned, or something in the transmission where the rpms are registered and then sent to the rpm tach/mfg.If you get the run around call kawasaki!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey legends i just wanted to reply on the problem with the tach. I have the 06 too and have had it since feb. and i noticed this weekend that the tach. stuck when i turned on the bike, so maybe kawa. needs to have a recall with all the bikes that claim to have the same problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input on this problem. the shop told me that the tach pods were "supposed to be sealed" but may still get moisture in them, so when you first start it up it needs to burn off the moisture. and to help the problem covering or garaging the bike will help.
the speed thing, i just was upset a little bit that they the Kawi head techs didn't know what the problem was at first and i was with out a bike for a month before they decided it was normal for it to skip the first few mph and when they checked their bike in Cali it work just fine. i only just broke break-in period with 2500mi.
they been having problem with those dag gone dampers since they put them on the bike i think that was the first recall on the bike because so many people were having problem with them. another thing to keep a eye out for.

i quess all that matters is as long as it rides/performs ok.
Damn it cold here in Florida[8D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.