Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. since this is a hot topic since.. fuckin forever, i figured that i'd snag some pics off my turbo motor for all you noobs since i was workin on the bitch tonight.

kleen air is a a kawi name for secondary air injection.. also known as pair system or .. god knows wtf else everyone calls it. zook, yami, hona.. all these guys run this shit.

this uses a ZX7R ( p model) motor, but the shits pretty much the same across all makes and models

ALL it is is an emissions thing. thats it.. the only reason its there is to take clean air fro mthe airbox and have that air shot into the exhaust ports to dilute the exhaust and make it a little leaner

so.. lets take a look at the air's journey into the exhaust port so you can se whats goin on.

we'll start at the reed valve pocket.. notice the block off plate? ( that i made.. 6061 T6, manually milled) normally theres a reed valve ( one-way) in there that allows air to be passed fro mthe airbox to the exhaust ports, but the exhaust pulse shuts this valve and cannot be injected into the airbox.

on the "kleen air mod" this shit is removed and those holes usually blocked off.

the clean air is sourced fro ma solenoid operating off vacuum from the throttle bodies or carbs.

newer bikes, this solenoid is controlled by the ECU.

heres whats under that plate.. this is where the reeed valve lives
see da holes? those go thru the cover..

on the back side of the valve cover

those holes connect to little tubes that run past he cams and into the head.

theres passages cast into the head that lead from those tubes.. those little passages are on each cylinder on only one valve per cylinder. the passages end at the exhaust port in the final radius just behind the valve.

if you look closely, you can see the hole in the side of the port just below the valve seat.

and there ya have it in its most simple form.

now, i am already prepared for haters and those who say this somehow makes HP gains when you block those holes off.. maybe if you welded the holes shut you might see a bit less port turbulence and better laminar flow, but all in all, removing/disabling the secondary air injection will not net a power gain, but WILL make it far more accurate to tune the bike while using Air-Fuel measurements based off O2 sensors and such.. since theres no introduction of "clean" air to lean the exhaust out, the AF will be true to form with the kleen air blocked off.

thats about it.. its a pretty simple system and only serves a basic function.. but now you see sorta what's goin on IN the head itself now.. only 4 of the 16 valves see the clean air.. 1 per cylinder on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
you described installing block off plates ,the kleen air mod is different , with the kleen air mod you simply bypass the airbox but you keep the reed valves so your crankcase operates under a vacuum and you no longer vent your crankcase into the air box ..

copy and pasted this from another website , i personally blocked the holes left in my air box differently but this is a pretty good description

incase anybody is wondering, all you need to do this is 2ft of 1/2" heater hose, a 1/2" bolt, a 7/16" bolt, and a small screw.

pull hose A off at the T and put the small screw in it. you can leave the port open.

pull hose B off at the T and at the airbox, pull hose C off at the motor and at the airbox. Replace them with the 2ft of 1/2" heater hose and it should look like they do in the pic conncected by the red.

use the 1/2" bolt to plug the back hole in the airbox where you removed hose C.

use the 7/16" bolt to plug the front hole in the airbox where you removed hose B.

THATS IT. NOTHING MORE.

·
Registered
28,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, this wasn't really meant as a how-to for anything.. just.. how the air flows and gets from the airbox to the exhaust ports. chances are 90% of people don't know what the shit looks like or how it gets to where it's gotta go.. just a little simple breakdown on that.

rob.. i AM a dumbass. i will shoot myself at the end of this posting.

·
Registered
28,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know.. no argument homey..
guess that was a little mess-up on my part.. the wording of it all. but i'm tired as fuck and don't feel like editing it. lol

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Good write up, I always wondered where the air went. Didn't even know which way the air went.

It actually seems overly complicated for an emissions thing... Seems so retardedly necessary, but I guess for the sake of emissions, you gotta do what you gotta do...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Awesome write up. I plan on doing something similar to my 650r when I install my exhaust/pcV w/ autotune.. I know the reason WHY to do it, but it's good to see HOW it actually helps. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
So this is basically a overly complicated PCV system that also serves as an air injection system? I hate emission crap.

Just to make it clear... people that do the kleen air mod arnt running a filter anymore right? IF thats what it looks like I wont do that... but if I ever tune the bike I might block off the air injection part.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,136 Posts
You still run a filter. You just stop sucking air out of the airbox and injecting it into the exhaust bypassing the engine.

The basic idea is that rather then reducing the amount of emissions let's call that number 10. You simply disguise it by adding more clean air.

So let's make up numbers and say stock makes 10 parts pollution to 1000 parts regular air all we do is pump more clean air into the exhaust and make 10'parts pollution for 1200 parts regular air. The exhaust gas "looks" cleaner to the tester because it measures parts per million and if there are more millions then the same amount of pollution looks "cleaner".

·
Premium Member
22,719 Posts
So this is basically a overly complicated PCV system that also serves as an air injection system? I hate emission crap.

Just to make it clear... people that do the kleen air mod arnt running a filter anymore right? IF thats what it looks like I wont do that... but if I ever tune the bike I might block off the air injection part.
If you install block off plates or plug the Kleen air hoses then nothing changes. Rather then fresh air being drawn into the exhaust, nothing gets pulled into the exhaust.

If you do the mod where you tie the Kleen air hose to the engine/transmission breather you create what's called "Crankcase Evacuation". Where that hose connected at the bottom of the airbox (and the one at the top that used to go to the Kleen Air system) simply gets plugged and nothing else changes in the air box.

That lower hose that goes to the airbox IS a PCV system. If any pressure builds in the crankcase it can escape into the air box (where it gets pulled into the intake tract). Without that vent you'd get positive crankcase pressure and that's bad... What happens if you tie the crankcase vent to the Kleen air system then you are creating a vacuum in the crankcase. So rather then having a neutral pressure in the crankcase you now have negative crankcase pressure.

It's an old drag racing trick that allows for better ring sealing as the negative pressure in the crankcase causes the piston rings to expand in the bore. It's normally worth a couple horsepower and if you use a stronger vacuum source (like a pump) the benefits can be pretty significant from running crankcase evacuation.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,942 Posts
ALL it is is an emissions thing. thats it.. the only reason its there is to take clean air from the airbox and have that air shot into the exhaust ports to dilute the exhaust and make it a little leaner.......

now, i am already prepared for haters and those who say this somehow makes HP gains when you block those holes off.. maybe if you welded the holes shut you might see a bit less port turbulence and better laminar flow, but all in all, removing/disabling the secondary air injection will not net a power gain, but WILL make it far more accurate to tune the bike while using Air-Fuel measurements based off O2 sensors and such.. since theres no introduction of "clean" air to lean the exhaust out, the AF will be true to form with the kleen air blocked off.
Not according to Tough-Guy. :lol:

·
Registered
28,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank ya thank ya.. lol mike.. TG is the shit and taught me well on kleen air shit!! haha

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Kleen Air a fake ?

Al Gore is sending a hit team to ******'s house as we speak ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.