Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suddenly got the bug to get a dual sport. I want something I can take on less than ideal roads like Mexico and Alaska. I have been looking at the KLR650Ls. The more I look the better they look. They have a lot of the same good points that the EX250 has, proven design that has not changed much in 15 years. Anyone out there with experience with these?

For what it is worth I am going to keep the ZX-6R until I come across the mother of all bargins in either a '98-up ZX-9R or a '01-up GSXR1000.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's see if I am smart enough to get a picture in here.

/cgi-bin/uploads/183/http___www.devon-rider.freeola.com_images_KLR650.jpg

Nope, guess not. Only the dreaded red "x".

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
KLR's are big, bullet proof thumpers. Those things go anywhere, and if you don't believe me, check out some of the ride reports on this board. www.advrider.com

Some people on there go around the world on those things. It's mostly a BMWR1150GS club, but there are a bunch of KLRs as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think they're great bikes but I have heard that they have a few problems with cam chains. Can't confirm it though, just seems to be one of those things you hear.

I've got a Honda NX 650 which is great on windy, gravel strewn back roads. Not so good for freeways though, quite vibey.

BMW Dakar is the one I'd spend my money on now. Well proven and with 50BHP, the best of the big thumpers.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I rode one of those at Sturgis. That is the tallest bike I have ever been on. I could barely touch on both sides with tip-toes. I ran the poopoo out of it. It handled pretty good even with dual purpose tires. Too bad they cost so much.

Doing my reasearch I found that the KLR650 have a problem with the chain that drives the balance shaft. A little piece they call the doohickey breaks. Some guy over here sell an after market piece for about $50 to solve the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.