Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the size of the hole in the welded bar-end metal plug?

I am researching options to install handguards and so far have learned that those plugs have to be either (i) removed by grinding off welding points, (ii) drilled and tapped (remember seeing one YouTube video showing tapping to M8 x 1.25 but i couldn't figure out if the hole had to be drilled first).

Any help or advise highly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is less that 1/4". I drilled and tapped mine to an M8x1.25 to install hand guards.
Acerbis 2634661089, Green, $75 on Amazon.
But, to make them work on my 2021 KLX300, I had to install the left on the right side and right on the left bar. The inboard clamps were under the cross bar and looped under the cables etc. I had to put a twist in inboard ends of the
guards using a wrench and a vice to make them seat properly with the inboard mounts. Then I swapped the plastics left to right, so the logo is right side up. Weather you drill/tap or cut the plugs out won't matter. This is not a one-hour proposition.....plan on 1/2 day + of fiddle/fitting.
In the end a pretty decent install but they do sit a bit low for good knuckle protection because the inboard mounts are limited in
rotating up by the cables etc. To get a bit more knuckle protection I put some twist into them by rotating the outboard end high and then tightening the end bolt.
You'll need to get M8 cap screws about 1" long if you decide to drill/tap as those in the kit are made for the inserts. You could use 5/16-18 screws just as easily.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up drilling and tapping mine with M8 x 1.25. Instead of swapping the handguards (after trying and failing with Zeta and G2 Mongo mounts) i made it working by re-crossing clutch and brake line on the left, and nothing special on the right.

It took me a dew days to finish everything.

Btw, i have KLX300SM which has slightly different bars than KLX300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody know the size of the hole in the welded bar-end metal plug?

I am researching options to install handguards and so far have learned that those plugs have to be either (i) removed by grinding off welding points, (ii) drilled and tapped (remember seeing one YouTube video showing tapping to M8 x 1.25 but i couldn't figure out if the hole had to be drilled first).

Any help or advise highly appreciated. Thanks.
I drilled and tapped my stock bars when I had them. It's not hard. But I would go ahead and just replace the bars now, while you're already doing work there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts