Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible or do these bikes have severly less lean angle that can be obtained. I would think that since they are lower (ninja 250's) it would be easier for your body positioning to drag a knee. Friend was asking and thinking of getting one to practice on for body technique. I dunno if that's a good idea to get comfortable on a smaller bike and then get on their 6r (they have one) might not be the best idea. Figured I'd pose the question for everyone's input here.

strat

·
Registered
913 Posts
I did it on mine, which was my first bike, you have to remove the stand that holds the bike up when you pull it back (NOT the kickstand), or it will scrape. Better tires are also recommended, but its definately possible.

I loved that bike until I realized just how slow it was compared to anything else.:)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yeah the 250's are cheap... but If I were him I'd spend that $3000 on a set of race fairings and sliders for his existing bike. If he does want the second bike for re-sale or a relative/friend/just to have, then at least have him get an ex500...lots of people race those too....and I could lean the heck out of my 500....he can find a used one of those for less than $2000

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
The 250 might be a real hoot in serious twisties - on roads like you'll find around Deal's Gap, I was constantly realizing that the power of my 9r was mostly wasted on such tight roads... lighter weight and more "flickability" might have been a better formula. Anyone out there ever ridden the Dragon on both a 250 and a bigger bike? I'd be really interested in the comparison...

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Originally posted by RedNinja636

I loved that bike until I realized just how slow it was compared to anything else.:)
nail on the head

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I wouldn't do it on stock tires unless they're not using those dual-sport looking ones of a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
At one time, I was seriously considering getting a 250 for a dedicated track bike. I still might do it some day, actually. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but there was a guy on a 250 I was riding behind down at VIR this past spring. I started out just behind him and he eventually lapped me. That guy was barely breaking into the corners and would get on the gas like there was no tomorrow. Knee planted on the ground or hovering ever so slightly all the way through the corner. Good stuff! [:M86] When/if he ever upgrades to a 600cc bike, he'll be amazing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Certainly possible. Believe it or not, it will drag knees, do wheelies, break speed limits on any road with them, and get 70 miles to the gallon. :D

I occasionally find myself craving a little more acceleration power, but I don't think I would trade the 250 to get it. The 250 is just too dang fun compared to all of the other bikes I have owned/ridden. And its not like I can really use 4-cylinder acceleration around here anyway. A few weeks ago my wife yelled at me because we hit some fun twisties and she said sparks were flying by her head from the centerstand dragging. I never realized $1700 could buy such a fun vehicle.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by JStutz2003
Certainly possible. Believe it or not, it will drag knees, do wheelies, break speed limits on any road with them, and get 70 miles to the gallon. :D

I occasionally find myself craving a little more acceleration power, but I don't think I would trade the 250 to get it. The 250 is just too dang fun compared to all of the other bikes I have owned/ridden. And its not like I can really use 4-cylinder acceleration around here anyway. A few weeks ago my wife yelled at me because we hit some fun twisties and she said sparks were flying by her head from the centerstand dragging. I never realized $1700 could buy such a fun vehicle.
Lose the centerstand... LOL.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55

Lose the centerstand... LOL.
I would, but I use it far too often. I do all my own work on my bikes, from tire changes to valve jobs. Perhaps after I get a decent lift I will ditch the centerstand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.