Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm certain it's not the head set, she's kluncking under bracking and over bumps???
i did recently replace the standard head nut with a gold nut to match the forks, but it was tourqued up correctly and i once again checked it today.
could it be the front hub, or is there any other problem areas i should be looking at with the 636 (2005)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sounds like you have loose steering head bearings. They work themselves loose over time and need to be periodically tightened. To do this you'll have to pull the upper triple clamp, and tighten the lock rings on top of the bearing cap. I don't know the torque specs for these, I just do it by feel, usually go a quarter turn past when it starts to feel snug and tighten the second lock ring on top. Be sure not to over tighten the steering head as it will begin to press the bearings into the frame.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
TIGHTEN YOUR STEERING HEAD BEARINGS!
DO NOT WAIT OF YOU WILL END UP GOING DOWN

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
the tool is called a spanner, if a spanner is not availabe you may use a punch and hammer. The punch and hammer will eat up the nut a bit but who gives a shit, change it latter. You need to remove the tripple prior to doing this..

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Ok, cool. Removing the triple- is there anything I should know about it, like when putting back is there any allignment to be done or anything? Or it just slips back on to the same place and that's it?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
yeah there are a few things to know. but if you fuck up ill be here to help. I'm an experienced industrial
mechanic and tapper bearing adjustment is right up my alley
--remove big ass triple clamp NUT (STEERING STEM) (notice how light it is..WOW!)
--slack the allen bolts tightening the triple to the forks,
--under the triple there is also an allen bolt under the clip on that screws into the triple, remove it from each clip on
--carefully remove triple by tapping it out upward, ignition will fallow and yes there is enough wire free play to move it out of the way..
--unlock lock ring from lock nut
--remove the lock nut without undoing the second one
--remove lock ring
--tighten the remaining nut to your hearts desire
(this directly tightens your steering head bearings)
How do you know if you over tightened?? the movement from left to right will be stiff, just back it off until not so stiff,
--if you don't have the tool to tighten these nuts, a punch and hammer will work but you will mess up the nuts a bit..
this may sound complicated but it really isn't.
It's amazing how good you feel after you do this and,
even more amazing is how awesome your bike feels after, solid and planted and draws perfect lines...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Originally posted by Tristan<br>yeah there are a few things to know. but if you fuck up ill be here to help. I'm an experienced industrial
mechanic and tapper bearing adjustment is right up my alley
--remove big ass triple clamp NUT (STEERING STEM) (notice how light it is..WOW!)
--slack the allen bolts tightening the triple to the forks,
--under the triple there is also an allen bolt under the clip on that screws into the triple, remove it from each clip on
--carefully remove triple by tapping it out upward, ignition will fallow and yes there is enough wire free play to move it out of the way..
--unlock lock ring from lock nut
--remove the lock nut without undoing the second one
--remove lock ring
--tighten the remaining nut to your hearts desire
(this directly tightens your steering head bearings)
How do you know if you over tightened?? the movement from left to right will be stiff, just back it off until not so stiff,
--if you don't have the tool to tighten these nuts, a punch and hammer will work but you will mess up the nuts a bit..
this may sound complicated but it really isn't.
It's amazing how good you feel after you do this and,
even more amazing is how awesome your bike feels after, solid and planted and draws perfect lines...
Thanks a bunch TRISTAN! You made it sound as it's nothing to it, and I'm sure it's gonna be easy for me to do, but I have 1 more question. Do the forks or bike need to be supported somehow or can I just do it while the bike is on kickstand?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It is really nothing at all, very easy. you can do this with the wheel on the ground no problem.
Do make sure to use the correct size allen key as these bolts had lock-tite added to them when they were installed at the factory.
One important thing is when you put everything back together, you should tighten the tripple to the forks last. (the allen bolts on tripple that make the tripple clamp onto the forks) as it will be in it's final position when the stem nut is tightened and the clipon blots aswell.
Your bike will feel so much better after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.