Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ladies & Gents. I give you...Updated with WoodCraft pics.

Well after trying a bunch of different combos I finally got one that works. I have two little adjustments to make and it's complete. The right one is bent down so I'm waiting to get a new one. But here they are......... Fit perfectly and lower the bars about 3 inches and keep stock body work.

·
LOST HIS RIDE
926 Posts
Well after trying a bunch of different combos I finally got one that works. I have two little adjustments to make and it's complete. The right one is bent down so I'm waiting to get a new one. But here they are......... Fit perfectly and lower the bars about 3 inches and keep stock body work.

This is what i have waited for . What are the Part #'s and did you have to mod them? REP 2 YOU !

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will give a detailed how to tomorrow. As far as the pics I gotta clean out the garage and I will line the stocker street bike up next to it. Feel I'm not sure as of right now I'm changing out the front lines and have no brakes. But I can tell just by pushing the two around its already better, you feel more through the wheel.. Even just sitting on it the position is better.

Reactions: VeX and Ouhei

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scratches and wholes??? This is the race bike. Don't really care. It's gonna go down again. Worst part is that it wasn't even me lol

·
Registered
692 Posts
Dude! I have been waiting for this!! When you get the chance, I would love all the details. Parts, prices, time to mod, everything! I will freaking go to Louisiana if I have to!! Only about 4 hours away...

·
Registered
216 Posts
SWEET!

Mother lovin BADASS! Thanks so much for posting, I've been dying to do this to mine. Full write up with part #'s and pics please!!!

Subscribed!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looks awesome. But do you still have full motion of steering without rackin your knuckles?

·
Registered
315 Posts
You are a god amogst men. By "clean" you obviously mean hiding the frankenstein-esque monster you are also working. You mad scientist you ;)

About the holes (for the non-race bikes), can you just cut down the stock bolts a bit and use them to fill the holes? Don't see why not.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You are a god amogst men. By "clean" you obviously mean hiding the frankenstein-esque monster you are also working. You mad scientist you ;)

About the holes (for the non-race bikes), can you just cut down the stock bolts a bit and use them to fill the holes? Don't see why not.
No that would be the 650R equipped with 05-06 636 Forks, 08 ZX6R brakes, 03-04 636 tail light, Catalyst Com. Race tail, Acura MDX HID single headlight system, Penske Triple clicker. And 1000RR Clip-ons because of the same problem. :D

As of right now the right one doesn't quite go all the way back without racking my knuckles because it's bent.

As far as the screws......... Yes if you could cut them down correctly and not mess up the threads you can just screw them back in.

That's awesome. One more thing to keep me busy over the winter. Thanks and can't wait for the details!
For you......... Hell I'd come there and do em for ya.

I'll have to take it back apart to show you guys exactly what I did. Warning................. Do not attempt to take the friggin bar ends off. You will strip it. So I just cut them off.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First of all I'd like to say I am not responsible for anyone getting hurt. I modify bikes all the time and do so at my own risk. Research some of my 636 threads for reference.

Now I only made these because of the lack of aftermarket ones out there ( well that and a crash that bent mine lol). This is also in an attempt to see how many people might be interested in these so that Eric at Woodcraft can see the need to make them. One of their parts gave me the idea.

The modification only really needs two parts.
1... 2003-2008 Stock SV650S clip ons. These measure 41mm. You will have to dremel off the little peg thingys that go underneath the SV top triple clamp that seat them in the correct place on the triple. This is to insure the flush fitment of the clipons underneath the 250 triple.

2... Rod bearings from a car. They are made of something called Bassit which is moldable and makes up the difference. They cost me about 10 bucks at Advance Auto parts and if you walk in and tell them you need Rod Bearings they will give you some generic ones. Those will work. Just look to find the thickest ones that they have. Mine were .20 what ever the hell that means. Thickness I presume.

This is the idea that I got from woodcraft. A friend of mine had some inserts on his 07 EX250 with woodcraft clip ons. But they were on top of the triples which I did not want.

Ok so how you do it.

First you have to get the needed tools

You need a 6mm allen wrench for the bolts on top of the triple to take your stockers off.
12mm Socket for the triple pinch bolts
I used my 7/8 socket for the headstock nut.
10mm for the clutch pinch bolt
A good phillips head screw driver for the throttle and choke boxes.
5mm Allen to take the brake off.

And either a Matabo to cut the damn bar ends off of the stockers like I did or come up with something better to get the pain in the ass bar ends off. So much loc-tite they feel welded on. I got pissed and just cut the some bitches off. Be careful of your throttle side though

1...Ok so take the 2 bolts on each current clipon off. Let those lay on the side. Beware to keep your brake resiovor from flipping upside down as it may have air in it and you won't have brakes.

2... Loosen the headstock nut and the 12mm pinch bolts on either side of the top triple clamp. And pull the top triple off.

3. You should have already kinda molded your inserts (we'll call them that) to fit inside of the SV clipons. I had two inserts and put one side on first and tapped the other in.

It should look like this.

Once you get them on leave them a little loose so you can move them up and down and left and right then put the top triple back on.

You will have to tap the top triple untill it seats on the bottom race. Get it as close as you can and DO NOT use the top triple nut to make it go down. That will strip the threads.

Once it's down start adjusting the angle you want the clip ons. I actually adjusted them out after this pic. Then tighten the 10mm pinch bolts.

Now put your top triple nut on and tighten the 12mm pinch bolts on the triple. Then I adjusted the clipons to fit as close as possible up to the triple. Refer to cutting the little pegs off above to acheive this.

Side shot of the finished product. And don't mind the right triple as it is bent and I have another one on the way.

Modded one.

Stocker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow man.. Major props to you for pioneering the way to clip-ons for the new 250. This is fantastic news.

Looks great! One question, what was the overall cost to do this proceedure?

·
Registered
315 Posts
So there is a possibility for Woodcraft to make a clip-on kit for the 250R??? Great work.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts