Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was a fun race to watch. I have to hand it to Nicky. That was an amazing race. For a while there, I wasn't sure if he was going to be able to do to it.

I feel bad for Rossi. That man has had the worst luck, this season. You've got to kive the guy credit. He worked his way up so far, just to end it with a mechanical failure.

I wish I could have been there. Those guys are crazy fast. Comparing their lap times to those from the Superbike guys is just amazing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
nicky made it look easy when he decided to. that suck for rossi, worked up to like 4th with only a couple laps left. i dont even like the guy, but i hate to see him work that hard not to finish.

that track surface breaking up wouldve freaked me out. guess thats shy im not in moto gp.

i just wanna ride one of those bikes once. im pretty sure id need new pants;)

i was glad to see another hayden on the kawi in superbike with a 2nd place finish.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
It was insane. Rossi's M1 blew up right in front of me (well...started blowing smoke, at least). The race was so tight until Hayden got past his pack and started his attack. He literally shaved .5 seconds per lap on the gap between 1st and 2nd, and eliminated a 2.5 second gap in 4 or 5 laps. Rossi was making headway, and got up to 4th for a little, but he would have never made it to the podium, even if his bike held together. There was just way too much gap between 3rd and 4th positions.

The whole place was insane with energy when Hayden stopped on his victory lap just before the corkscrew to take off his helmet and grab an American flag from a spectator to continue his lap...absolutely fucking nuts.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Rossi was making headway, and got up to 4th for a little, but he would have never made it to the podium, even if his bike held together. There was just way too much gap between 3rd and 4th positions.
They way Rossi was riding, I thought he had a chance of getting to third. Milandri had a few second gap but was falling off. You got to feel bad for the guy, has to drop out in on the last lap. If it wasn't for his bike fucking up this season, he would be points leader right now.

BTW, did you guys see that dude on the Ducati giving people rides before the race? That shit was awesome! I wish speed would give that kind of coverage for all GP races instead of just the US GP.

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by FLOJOEBTW, did you guys see that dude on the Ducati giving people rides before the race? That shit was awesome! I wish speed would give that kind of coverage for all GP races instead of just the US GP.
That was awesome. Didn't he give a ride to Ben Bostrom?

The pre-show was pretty cool, but they'll never make that big of a deal about the other races.

Originally posted by dragkntThe whole place was insane with energy when Hayden stopped on his victory lap just before the corkscrew to take off his helmet and grab an American flag from a spectator to continue his lap...absolutely fucking nuts.
Is that where he got it from? I don't think Speed aired that. All I knew was that the camera panned to Nicky and he had taken his helmet off and was carrying an American flag. I wasn't sure how he got that way.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by FLOJOE

Yeah, Bostrom was trying to drag his knee in the turns. It was great.
I think he got it down in the last corner, saw a puff of dust anyway :D

Rossi would have had 3rd, Vermulen dropped off the pace at the end as his fuel system was failing, feel bad for him, Melandri and Kenny both got by him.

For AMA, was great to see Tommy get 2nd. He actually set the fastest lap of the race too, good job!

·
28,939 Posts
Great Race!!! The Kentucky Kid pulled through and took it! Nicky's the man! Said his contract is up this year, going to be in high demand... Maybe kawi should be lookin to get him, nothing against shinya or randy but kawi just aint gettin anywhere in gp. How sweet would it be to see Nicky ridin the kawi along with tommy and roger...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Originally posted by FLOJOE

BTW, did you guys see that dude on the Ducati giving people rides before the race? That shit was awesome! I wish speed would give that kind of coverage for all GP races instead of just the US GP.

"That guy" was Randy Mamola. Maybe you heard of him? ;)

Congrats to Nicky, he definately earned it. I was pulling for Hopkins personally. Yeah I feel bad for Rossi and his misfortunes.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
i thought over all it was a great race and loved what speed did for the races... any one see that chick that went for a ride along, she was sexy as hell... any way from what i remember rossi never does good over here and probably never will...

congrats to nicky he ran a great race...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Next year will be very interesting. All new bikes, and Honda has had the most progress, followed by Yamaha. Hopefully Kawi and Suzuki will be there. Otherwise it's going to be the Honda show, while the others play catch up with their bikes.:(

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
it was a great race!! saw it on speed. by the way the guy randy mamola rode was not bostrom it was ben spies. at least that's what they were saying on speed.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Ben Spies must of been wearing Ben Bostroms leathers then. Trust me, no matter what Speed said, it was B-Boz.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Ben Spies must of been wearing Ben Bostroms leathers then. Trust me, no matter what Speed said, it was B-Boz.
I don't think Suzuki would like Spies riding on a Ducati either.

"That guy" was Randy Mamola. Maybe you heard of him?
I didn't know it was him. He can still ride the hell out of those bikes huh? I'm too young to have ever seen him race, he retired before I really got into motorcycles. But I hear that he was the shit back in the day. I hope my retirement years will be like that :)

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by senfo

Is that where he got it from? I don't think Speed aired that. All I knew was that the camera panned to Nicky and he had taken his helmet off and was carrying an American flag. I wasn't sure how he got that way.
Yep...he was just out of my sight as I was in the turn 11 grand stands, but they were showing it on the huge TV above pit lane, he was like waving and shit at this dude on the hill, and the commentators at the track were saying he was trying to get a guy on the hill to bring him an american flag...then the TV showed some track official guy running in from the run off by the hill with the flag.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by 02 z_x_6_r
any way from what i remember rossi never does good over here and probably never will...
Uh, like last year you mean, when he finished third? To my knowledge he hasn't done any other US races, so "never does good" is a strange way to put it?

Laguna Seca has the history, but they should never have brought MotoGP there. Not only is the track not up to international standards, now they fucked up the surface fix as well. Did you see those bikes jiggle, bounce and plain catch air on their way through, lap after lap? Crikey, maybe they should have put dirtbike forks&shock on them. I really hope they take it somewhere else next year. I hear Miller motorsport park is pretty good, though I've obviously never been there.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I felt bad for rossi, he was working it hard to get back up there. It was a good race. I said it in another post but have to say it here too, pedrosa is a badass [8D] that dude is 5'2" and just over 100lbs, and can ride the shit out of those bikes! It was cool to see B-Boz as a passenger, looked to me that he got that knee down a couple times, that was sweet. I've already told the fam that we are going to one of these races lol. Love the corkscrew turn too, that was great especially on like the first lap when all the bikes were close. Oh well, I could go on and on as I'm sure we all could LOL :D

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by RedFinn

Uh, like last year you mean, when he finished third? To my knowledge he hasn't done any other US races, so "never does good" is a strange way to put it?

Laguna Seca has the history, but they should never have brought MotoGP there. Not only is the track not up to international standards, now they fucked up the surface fix as well. Did you see those bikes jiggle, bounce and plain catch air on their way through, lap after lap? Crikey, maybe they should have put dirtbike forks&shock on them. I really hope they take it somewhere else next year. I hear Miller motorsport park is pretty good, though I've obviously never been there.
It wasn't so much that they fucked up the surface, but that they had JUST resurfaced it, and the ambient track temp was 125 degrees, surface track temp was over 150, and the ambient air in the grandstands was 110 or so, and they were running MotoGP and AMA SBK/SS/FormX/Superstock, and they all had practice, qual, warmup, and race laps, so there was ALWAYS just more and more heat being put into the track all weekend. Even the roads in and out of laguna seca were buckling like crazy under the heat, all over the place. Every day it got visibly worse and worse with all the traffic. They had one road where the surface buckling was so bad that they had to put a metal plate over it because cars were bottoming out their frames on it, and then the plate caved in, and bikes were smacking their oil pans. It was a mess. It was just way too hot to hold a race on such fresh tarmac.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hmm, makes sense I suppose. I've heard of truck races being hard on the pavement, never thought bikes could "chunk it up" as well. I haven't experienced 65C surface temps though. Most we've had is 58C or 135F.

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by RedFinn
They're trying to bring it to Miller Motorsport Park. As I understand it, some MotoGP officials commented on what it would take to bring MotoGP to the track. One of the things they requested was more grand stands and I hear they'll be there next year. As it is now, I believe Laguna Seca has it for the next few years.

I kind of think VIR is overlooked. That track is amazing and I don't see any reason why it couldn't host a MotoGP race. It's definitely one of the safest tracks that the AMA runs (lots and lots of runoff) and it's a pretty technical layout. But I some how think Miller or Mid Ohio would get a shot at it before VIR ever would. But honestly, Miller looks like a very nice track and the front straight is crazy long. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the MotoGP bikes running as high as 208 MPH down it (except I guess by the time it got there, they would be running smaller bikes).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.