Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some jack ass pulled out in front of me today and I had to lay the bike down. The bike slid into the side of his car (I was only doing about 5mph but it was raining and I couldn't stop in time). I bounced off the side of his car and then restrained myself from kicking his ass. I scraped the left side and lost a side mirror. It looks alright but my main concern is mechanical damage. I drove the bike home and didn't notice any vibrations but I'm worried. What vital signs should I check and what are some things to look for/listen for to make sure It's cool to keep riding....I'll post pics whenever I get some.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
763 Posts
what pieces did you mess up? i have some black 06 LEFT side fairings for sale if your intrested. check the classified section, pages 1 or 2 and you should see my posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you want to put your mind at ease, and have a dealer you trust, the dealer can generally do an inspection of your whole bike for about an hour's worth of labor. They can also give you a complete list of damaged parts, bolts and all plus labor so that you can collect all that you need to fix the bike. (Whether you actually repair everything or anything is up to you but at least you have the cash to do it)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I 2nd the dealer inspection. If your not a mechanic there are too many things you can overlook. The dealer will check things like wiring, cables, handlebars, stay brackets, etc etc etc. They will probably want to remove the upper fairing/headlight to see any possible damage better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bronze colored cap on the left side that bolts directly to the block took the brunt of the slide and has now started leaking oil. What is this called and where can I get one. (sounds completely newb. I know but I was a 4x4 guy, this is my first bike so help without flaming is appreciated). Clutch cover perhaps?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found it....Stator cover....anyone got any tips on installing a new one? pretty straight forward is what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The jack ass...I was literally cruising through the parking lot at about 5-10mph and there was a van parked on the corner, he couldn't see me and I couldn't see him and I had the right of way...but he drove right out infront of me in his f*cking Civic. I locked everything down and pulled in the clutch but the bike was going down and I didn't want to be stuck under it so I pulled my leg out and went down with it. The biggest dent on his car was from my head slamming right into his front quarter panel...but 10 years of football prepared me for the impact!!! HaHaHa...I have to laugh because I so pissed.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The stator is an easy fix so long has you have the damn star tool to remove the 4 bolts on the inside. I can't think of the technical name (torx?) but I got halfway through my stator cover swap and realized those damn bolts weren't coming out. Luckily my buddy had the wrenches to get them out. A new gasket is recommended but you may get away with the old one so long as you scrape off the old sealant and make a good seal with new sealant. Good luck, and If you are going to replace the cover with a stock one, may I suggest getting the part number from the 06 LE version of the 636 cause it is black instead of bronze and would look awesome.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use Yamaha/Kawi of Canton. Don't know where your located but they have the best tech around and good prices.

Rode the twisties with the GSB group today. 8 hours solid rain. Still had fun. Plenty of near misses.

PM me and lets ride.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good...I'm actually in Newnan, I'll PM you as soon as I'm back up and running....Thanks for all the feedback guys...I feel a little better about the whole situation, even though my bike is down for a little while:( I'll post up pics and any questions about the stator install.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by lukerdl
Sounds good...I'm actually in Newnan, I'll PM you as soon as I'm back up and running....Thanks for all the feedback guys...I feel a little better about the whole situation, even though my bike is down for a little while:( I'll post up pics and any questions about the stator install.

Hit me up when you do, I'd like to join in if I can - I'm just a little down the road from Newnan. Where did this happen?

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
man, didn't you just get that bike? sorry to hear..... better get some frame sliders

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah,I have only had it for 3 weeks:( Just went over the 400 mile mark....bummer huh?

This actually happened in auburn, al....I'm down here helping my GF move in to her new place. I misplaced my dig. camera in the move so once i find it i'll post pics of the stator install etc...

And I'll definately shout at all of you in the ATL area after she's fixed....Thanks for the warm welcome to the site and all of the advice/help.

I just ordered the cover and the gasket from Bikebandit and got express delivery so It should be here by the end of the week and hopefully I'm running by the weekend.

Anyone know if it's illegal to run with only one side mirror?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey, I would also recommend you taking a look at your left clip-on. It may have tweaked a bit and broke off the mounting point on the top triple tree. Check that one out too...

Not sure about the difference in each state, but I'm pretty sure here in MI you only have to have one mirror on a motorcycle...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.