Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thats a good article. When I practiced, it wasn't on the interstate. Just b/t 2 cars and that was it, than I slowly worked up. But once I lane split a group of 4-5 than I just chill for awhile before doing it again. I also do it when traffic is slow as a bitch or the bike is >220 F.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had people open their doors on me, swerve to prevent me from passing, and received the middle finger thousands of time. A good swift kick to their fenders always make them think twice about swerving or opening their doors.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Onetime I did it on the interstate in heavy stuff like the video, and when I got into an opening, some guy drives by me and it like "DO YOU WANNA DIE!" I was like well why did I buy this, not really I just said no.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Doesn't the law in California state that if you hit a car and vice versa it is their fault? I may be uniformed but that is what I was told last year when I was down south[:M74]

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically, my understanding is that you cannot go more than 5 miles above the flow of traffic (like we all obey that one) and it is still a judgement matter. If the driver negligently or purposely hits you it is their fault, if you run into the vehicle or brush up against it without them moving, it is your fault. It basically boils down to proving who was at fault.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stand corrected... Twice

"I just got a ticket for doing this too fast. The cop said as long as you are not going 10mph faster than the trafic you are clear. He said you should stay in one lane if you can. Basically, if you switch lanes to avoid mirrors and such you are performing illegal lane changes. Be careful out there."

That is what I get for believing a friend that is a San Diego county sheriff...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got a ticket for doing this too fast. The cop said as long as you are not going 10mph faster than the trafic you are clear. He said you should stay in one lane if you can. Basically, if you switch lanes to avoid mirrors and such you are performing illegal lane changes. Be careful out there.

Craig

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Originally posted by iroman
I've had people open their doors on me, swerve to prevent me from passing, and received the middle finger thousands of time. A good swift kick to their fenders always make them think twice about swerving or opening their doors.
hahaha...that or....put your foot out and take out their side mirror

·
Registered
619 Posts
They should add a question to the car drivers license test:

When you see a motorcycle splitting lanes-
A. Open your door!
B. Shut your god damn mouth because it's legal moron!
C. Swerve into their lane!

Anything but B should get you a good trouncing by that unhappy woman at window 11.

PS; I am, of course, in cali.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Lane plitting... it sure as shit aint legal in Canada!

Hell, I was on an on-ramp (to a highway) and the woman in front of me started to merge, yet there was lot's of the ramp lane left... so I slipped by her before she was completely into the highway lane and I was stopped for passing on the right!?! Good grief, I couldn't believe it, the cop said I was on the shoulder... (which he was able to see through 2 lanes of traffic??) But hell, I saw him and pulled over and where we were stopped was only 20 feet past where the merging lane ended!! (Yes, NOW I was on the shoulder...) Anyways, keeping it polite and curtious payed off once again and I rode off with only a warning. The biker cop realized I wasn't a crazy squid. ;) I can't imagine what would of happened had I split lanes...

Be careful out there gang! [8D]

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm know its legal in Oz but only when the traffic is stopped, i do it all the time every set of traffic lights straight to the front, our lanes are about a car and a half wide so even when u come accross two slow cages one in each lane there's plenty of room to split the up the middle...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by barnes
I'm know its legal in Oz but only when the traffic is stopped, i do it all the time every set of traffic lights straight to the front, our lanes are about a car and a half wide so even when u come accross two slow cages one in each lane there's plenty of room to split the up the middle...
Hmmmm, in the ACT and Queensland I've recieved warnings but never got or heard of people getting booked for it but it isn't leagal as has been told to me a few times. I don't know about the NSW but my sister in-law is a NSW cop and my friend is a VIC cop so I'll ask them. If you want I can tell you the cops view on this, but I can't see them worrying too much about inforcing it but its like the arm out the window and the hanging things off the mirror law. They only care when you piss them off or they need to get you on something. ;) But I'll tell you now there is no way I'll lane split in sydney half the cagers there are only just aware of the road rules and only slightly are of the others around them.:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
there is no way I'll lane split in sydney half the cagers there are only just aware of the road rules and only slightly are of the others around them.
I ride from the gong to sydney 3 times a week i cant imagine not lane splitting, it only takes me bout 1hr to get there if i didnt split lanes it would take an extra half an hour. call me crazy but i love scarin the shit out of those cagers on the freeway go straight inbetween them [:p]

·
Registered
344 Posts
I lived in the bay area for a year and a half (1988-89). Lane splitting was the only thing that made the daily commute bearable. Never had any problems doing it.

California is the only state where its legal to do this.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I know it's totally illegal here in Alabama. I did however manage to get out with a warning, TWICE.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.