Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it would be possible to fit a larger radiator, like from a 600 or similar, on the 250 for those of us that live in a retardedly hot climate?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Why not switch to Water Wetter? I live in Cali so that's probably the best thing you'd want to do. Why place more weight on a bike that's already struggling to put out...um, what is it...24, 26 HP? IDK

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not switch to Water Wetter? I live in Cali so that's probably the best thing you'd want to do. Why place more weight on a bike that's already struggling to put out...um, what is it...24, 26 HP? IDK
Ya, I was thinking of that as well. What mixture are you running?

·
Registered
475 Posts
AFAIK, Water Wetter will not cool your engine as good as a water/antifreeze mix. In the race bikes, we have to remove the antifreeze and replace with water and water wetter. In the 100 deg heat out at Willow Springs, the bikes are running 240 degrees. I don't think you want your bike running that kind of temp sitting in traffic around town.

The cooling is a real problem and I will be looking into larger radiators soon. If someone knows another radiator that will bolt up fairly easily, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hmm....CBR600RRs are known to hit 226 (fan kicks in) in sitting traffic. Sometimes even up to 240. Water Wetter + distilled water = I've seen my temp going down as far as 159 in 82 degree weather, moving @ 75mph.

You won't be sitting in traffic that long that it'll affect your bike--this is why we split lanes. And on the track you're constantly moving.

My .02

·
Registered
399 Posts
u can try making a fan shroud to pull air across the whole radiator and not just in the center. by doing that u effectively use the whole radiating surface of the radiator. it prolly won't help so much while riding at good pace but should bring temps down in the stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I honestly don't think a bigger radiator is necessary. Try using less antifreeze and more distilled water with water wetter. Word on the street is leaving old water wetter in the cooling system can lead to rust so make sure you change your coolant more often than usual.

·
Registered
836 Posts
the bikes are running 240 degrees. I don't think you want your bike running that kind of temp sitting in traffic around town.

The cooling is a real problem and I will be looking into larger radiators soon. If someone knows another radiator that will bolt up fairly easily, please let me know.
What kind of temp gauge you put on them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.