Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I own a 96 model zx6 exrace bike and want use 180 size tyres on my rear. I would imagine that they wont fit/work properly on the standard rim but is it possible to fit in a larger rim from a later model zx6 or even zx7??

Note the ONLY reason i wish to run the 180 tyre is that the 160 slicks are a rare find second hand exrace whereas the 180 size is plentiful, im sick of paying big $$ for new slicks just for track days

Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you running the 180 on the stock rim??? I would have thought that it would have affected the contact patch too much.

Did you notice any ill afffects on your handling???

·
Registered
20 Posts
yea i have the 180 on the stock rim. haven't noticed a difference, most of the guys that i ride with have 180's on the rear, and they all have stock rims.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The '95-'97 have a 1/2" narrower rim than the '00-'03 and maybe the '98-'99. They went from a 160 to 170 in '98 and then to the 180 in '00 I believe. The 180/55 will definately fit on the '95 without rubbing because mine had one on it when I got it. I have since replaced it with the stock 160.

I am not sure how much that 1/2" will change the profile of the tire. I will raise the back about 3 mm which shouldn't hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.