Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have problems with the latch on the rear seat snapping shut? My rear seat blew off yesterday and got torn up because it didn't close properly. I'm hoping Kawi will replace under the warranty.

Also, anyone have pics of a black 636 with the rear cowl? I might just pick one of those up instead of a new seat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The tool kit gets in the way which makes it hard to latch. I have to press down on the rear seat in order for the seat to latch. I also have to press down on the seat to make unlocking the seat easier (don't want to bend the key). I don't know how to post pictures but I have a cowl (black) and it looks nice. I "heard" that the cowl for the zx10 also fits. I never tried it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have had a similar problem with the toolkit under the rear seat. It seems if it isn't placed just right it is more difficult to properly snap the seat closed.

Anyone with the solo-rider cowl have the same issue? I'm looking at replacing my seat and wonder if you see the same thing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
same thing if not worse. the seat cowl has aluminum cross members that all meet above where the tool kit is

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't explain the issue well enough. It isn't a problem with pushing the seat shut, like something (toolkit) is in the way. The problem is the latch itself (not part of the seat) gets stuck in the open position and I have to wiggle the key a little to get it to snap shut.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by mtgeek
I didn't explain the issue well enough. It isn't a problem with pushing the seat shut, like something (toolkit) is in the way. The problem is the latch itself (not part of the seat) gets stuck in the open position and I have to wiggle the key a little to get it to snap shut.
From that description, I would say that you might want to pull the latch assembly and cable out and clean/lube them both. Sounds like there is something in one of those 2 binding and the clean/lube will free it up most likely.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by xtremewlr

From that description, I would say that you might want to pull the latch assembly and cable out and clean/lube them both. Sounds like there is something in one of those 2 binding and the clean/lube will free it up most likely.
That's what I figured. I may just let them do it under warranty. What bugs me is the strike to the tail section and the rear seat which needs to be replaced. Of course I could think of them as "battle wounds" from the track, but I'd rather have them fixed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by xtremewlr

That's what I figured too, but I think I'll let them fix it under the warranty. Although I could think of these as battle wounds from the track, I'd rather have them fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.