Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may get some aftermarket clip ons, but the removal of the stock clip ons worries me. you gotta undo the top triple -which i have never done before. I have removed the yoke nut (what holds the top triple down) in order to add a GPR V4. this process wasn't easy, i had to rent a socket big enough to fit on the nut, then use man hands + 2ft breaker bar.

the red neck in me was thinking i could just cut off my stock clip ons, then with the aftermarket clamp style, i would just bolt on the new ones....where is the flaw in my logic here?

besides not having the dremel or grinder needed for cutting off the stock bars

·
Registered
16 Posts
JUst did mine on 09zx6r. Stem nut is a 36MM and with a breaker bar, it comes right off. Loosen clamp bolts on clipons and triple by the fork tube and lift up. Way easier than trying saw off OEM clipons.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
For the love of God don't try to take the lazy way out. Stem nut, then pinch bolts, and everything will slip off. You'll spend more time cutting off the stock ones, and you'll have nothing as replacements or be able to sell them to make some money back. Why do you want aftermarket anyways? Racing?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Cutting them off would be tougher and more likely to damage something.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm surprised it required a breaker bar to get the stem nut off. Mine was on there pretty good but was able to use a crescent wrench to take it off. I still had to buy a socket tho (34mm) in order to put the scotts dampner on. But I agree with everyone else. Just take the time to do it right and it'll save u a lot of trouble and possibly damage

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
could you drop the fork tubes through, and take the clipon off the top of them that way? the 36mm socket mightnt be in all toolboxes..! :)

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
could you drop the fork tubes through, and take the clipon off the top of them that way? the 36mm socket mightnt be in all toolboxes..! :)
yes....if you can support the bike in such a way...few people have a triple tree lift/stand.

That said, I've not had an issue taking the upper triple off on a number of bikes. On the 05+ its an aluminum nut, it shouldn't be that tight.

While you have it off, check the spanner nuts on the steering head bearings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts