Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just bought a leather jacket from Wilson's leather. Its really thick and pretty nice black with orange and silver.

only thing is that it doesnt have armomr anywhere in it so if i bust my ass then its just pavement and leather.

the jacket was only 95 dollars with my sisters employee discount.

is it worth it? or should i return it and spend some money on buying something that protects me from the pavement not just cold weather.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope no place for armor nad cannot fit anything under it.

kind of sucks cause its nice and good price, but in the long run skin grafs suck too

·
Registered
940 Posts
My Vanson doesn't have any armor....but it's thick as shit so I don't worry

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i could get a motorcyle leather jacket for that much. i say ride with, but dont be 100% sure it will keep the rash OUT![xx(]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Honestly, I like not having the armor better. The jacket is so much more comfortable and easier to move around in, espically off the bike. It's thick, so I don't worry too much about road rash. Unless I was racing, or just really blasting my bike around the streets I wouldn't buy a jacket with the armor.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would never ride without my armor. In addition to the extra protection from rash, the armor helps absorb impacts that would crush bones in the elbows and shoulders. Back protection is very important also. No matter how careful you ride, an accident can happen at any time. I would rather take the extra precaution than to take a chance.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
271 Posts
Daniel, if you want to keep the leather jacket, another option is for you to buy one of those Dainese body armor stand-alones to wear under the jacket -- that's what some of us over here in the Philippines do, because of the heat.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If that is all you can find for that price and you are on a budget, keep it. But, if you look around you can find something better for that price or just a little more. I bought a leftover Teknic Chicane, perforated w/ soft armor for $114 at local shop. My buddy just got a used Speedmaster 2002 for $80 w/o a scratch on it. I hit the pavement at 60mph with that jacket on and the inner part of my left arm dragged on the asphalt the whole time and it never got through the leather and there is no padding there at all. So, anything is better then nothing.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
A leather jacket from Wilson's is not designed to withstand hitting pavement at 60 mph. It's designed to be comfortable and look good. I've also got a leather jacket from Wilson's. It's black, and cost me $200 but I would never trust it to save my hide on my bike.

·
Registered
940 Posts
That is actually some decent advice Tommy....I never thought about that....

I've got a jacket from Wilson's as well....real thin stuff...it would probably tear to shreds in a wreck

but then again, it's better than a t-shirt or fleece

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I agree, you shuold really get a true leather motorcycle jacket...or even get a textile motorcycle jacket with armor.....better then a regular leather jacket....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The motorcycle jacket i got from wilson's is really thick not like other jacket from there, its actually a little heavier and thicker than some other "motorcycle" jackets i've seen around.

·
Registered
940 Posts
then i wouldn't sweat it....if you're comfortable with it, then go with it

it's not going to be "ideal" protection...but if you wanted "ideal" protection, you'd be in a Volvo

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
keyword motorcycle, Shop around while you ride with that one but do not put your trust in . find a jacket with armor. believe the jacket breaks in after awhile. just wear around the house or out when you are not riding. It is worht it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, return it bro.

There should be no issue when it comes to your protection. Buy the best you can afford. What you wear is the only thing that stands between you and the unforgiving asphalt. If you live in a climate that allows you to wear full leathers, do it. You might look goofy to others but fuck 'em.

Look cool and squidish or get countless skin graphs. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm with Tommy there. A leather jacket is designed primarily with fashion in mind. The leather they use tends to be softer and thinner where as a motorcycle jacket is designed for hitting the pavement. Sure it's better than a t-shirt but it would be questionable how much more protection it's going to give you in a wreck. Dress for the crash and not for the ride.

Like my quote says..........

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote by Poch:

"Daniel, if you want to keep the leather jacket, another option is for you to buy one of those Dainese body armor stand-alones to wear under the jacket -- that's what some of us over here in the Philippines do, because of the heat."

Hey Poch, how cool (temperature wise) are those stand alone's you are reffering to? Also do you know what the material is made out of? Would it stop road rash if it came to the crunch. It's coming up to summer here and you could roast a chicken inside my leathers in the summer sun.

Mmmmmm.....chicken......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.