Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to go from GA to WV tonight to visit family and I plan to be buying my EX250 11 miles away in VA first thing Tuesday morning (first business day and I have to be back at work on Wednesday). I've never purchased a vehicle, so what do I need to do to be legal for driving it back home? I'm going to be at work until midnight and everything will be closed until Tuesday anyway, so I hope nothing requires me to be here first.

I have my GA motorcycle learner's permit and my MSF BRC completion card from H-D Rider's Edge - I just haven't stopped by the DMV/DDS to get the full license it qualifies me for and I can't do that until Tuesday at the soonest (busiest day according to dds.ga.gov). Is the permit good in other states? I sure hope so. As far as insurance: Are they going to want me to have the license first? If so, I gotta wait until Tuesday before even leaving and I have to turn right around and go home with no visit (defeats the purpose of buying there).

I've been under the impression that I purchase the insurance while I'm buying the bike at the dealership, but my older brother is telling me that I should have already purchased the insurance and that I need the VIN number and such to do so. Is he right? How do I get the VIN before buying or seeing the bike? Regardless, I can't get that until Tuesday anyway (dealership's first business day).

Tax, tag, title. What needs to be taken care of first for it to be legal to drive home? They are charging me MSRP + freight, VA tax, etc ($3,882 on a $3,500 bike), and I assume that I will still owe tax, tag, and title to GA. I don't know the specifics, but two different people are telling me that I have 30 days to do all that and that I can legally drive it for 30 days without all that. The thing is, I can't find any confirmation of what they are telling me.

How can I have a GA title when I leave the VA dealer? Years ago, GA put a stop to the "tag applied for" loop-hole and made all dealers issue state temporary tags. I don't see how I can get one of those from a VA dealer either! I spent all day yesterday looking for some kind of guide to buying a vehicle out of state and couldn't find anything directly relevant. I need something explaining what I need to do FIRST and where/when it needs to be done.

Thanks for any input. In case anyone is wondering: No, I don't intend to just walk in and buy an EX250. They have one left and I have a deposit on it, though that didn't stop the last two dealers from screwing me over (this one knows I am bringing the cash and picking up the bike on Tuesday).

Oh! One more question: A check takes time to clear, which is why I didn't mail the check yesterday (I figured I'd be beating the USPS there anyway!). I haven't tried to withdraw much from my bank but, IIRC, I believe there is a daily limit of $500 or something. Because I really don't know if the check clearing time matters, I guess I need to know before visiting my bank and carrying so much money on a road trip. Alternatively, I could transfer to my other account and pay by Visa check card, but I don't know if the dealership still considers that "paying cash" with all the merchant and transaction fees they incurr. Advice?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ANOTHER question: Is there any way to check the weather for a trip based on departure time? I mean, I don't see anything like that on Google Maps. I can plot the route but I can't compare it against a forcast for an expected departure time.

·
Registered
443 Posts
1. Permit good? Sure...
2. Get your insurance before you ride off the lot. I doubt you're getting insurance from the dealer. If they want a vin, call the dealer and ask what it is.
3. If you're tagging in GA, tell the dealer not to charge you VA tax and tag fee's. You'll take care of that when you get home. Is it legal to drive home that way? :dunno: but I've done cars and bikes this way w/o any trouble b4. Probably have 30 days to take care of the registration/title business...
4. The dealer will give you an MCO (Motorcycle Certificate of Origin) and a bill of sale. You'll give those to GA to get title and plates.
5. Didn't really understand your check/cash question. Go to your bank, get cash and bring it. Anything else, work out with the dealer before you get there...Are they holding the bike for you? Have you given them a CC and do you have a fax from them saying they are holding vin XXX for you? Hope you are not getting set up for a disappointment...
6. Weather...:dunno: just check a few spots on your route for that Tuesday

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
1 - ask the dealer for a temp plate
2 - as for payment. if you transfer to your other acct in order to pay with your visa debit make sure you know what your daily limt is as far as debit purchase. Some banks don't allow you to make a purchase of more than 2k - 2.5
3 - easy way would be to bring a bank check for the balance
4 - i also dont think you have to pay VA tax.....I live in NJ and bought my bike in NY and didnt pay tax. It was paid when I registered the bike in NJ

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! Now, onto less pressing questions: BREAK-IN!

I've never changed the oil. How do I manage it mid-trip? Because this bike revs so high, I won't be able to maintain an easy break-in and meet minimum speed limits if I take the Interstate. I can't just ignore it and follow something more like the "motoman technique," (ride hard). That takes a lot more oil changes and is risky for a beginner, so I will have to aim for something in between (ride normal, change oil a little more often). What do you guys suggest for just such a "break-in ride?" I want to change the oil before I start and at least one more time. If I ride Interstate speeds and "go through the gears" as suggested, should I change the oil a third time? I guess I need to buy some kind of collector/pan, a wrench, and something to store it in until I get to a place to recycle it. Where will I find these places? FWIW, I've never even changed the oil in any engine before.

1. Permit good? Sure...
2. Get your insurance before you ride off the lot. I doubt you're getting insurance from the dealer. If they want a vin, call the dealer and ask what it is.
3. If you're tagging in GA, tell the dealer not to charge you VA tax and tag fee's. You'll take care of that when you get home. Is it legal to drive home that way? :dunno: but I've done cars and bikes this way w/o any trouble b4. Probably have 30 days to take care of the registration/title business...
4. The dealer will give you an MCO (Motorcycle Certificate of Origin) and a bill of sale. You'll give those to GA to get title and plates.
5. Didn't really understand your check/cash question. Go to your bank, get cash and bring it. Anything else, work out with the dealer before you get there...Are they holding the bike for you? Have you given them a CC and do you have a fax from them saying they are holding vin XXX for you? Hope you are not getting set up for a disappointment...
6. Weather...:dunno: just check a few spots on your route for that Tuesday
Thanks for the info.
#1: That's a load off my mind. Thanks.
#2: I would be, I just figured that I pick one and call them when I'm buying the vehicle so that I'd have all the pertinent info. As for calling first: Their next business day is Tuesday and I was hoping to leave after I get off work at midnight or tomorrow morning at the latest. I saw something about being able to get some letter from your insurance company and getting an "in-transit" permit for some states, but I couldn't find any such thing for VA or GA (it looks like everyone but MA recognizes NY's)
#3: It looks like most states pass it on to your state when you register and then your state will charge you any difference (if their rate was higher). It looks like a state-to-state kinda thing and I could find nothing of GA/VA's relationship. I'll ask them to let me take care of it and see what they can do. I don't think it's sales tax he is charging, but some other kind (he quoted 3%).
#4: Check and check. I'll make sure to get those.
#5: Yes, they asked me to send a registered check and as I was going to the USPS yesterday to mail it I found out that my mother was planning a trip on Monday and I could hitch a ride. I called them and told them I'd be there with the money on Tuesday. They have a deposit placed over the phone and were already expecting a check in the mail, so they'd have a hell of a time explaining it if they sold it to someone else. ;) They didn't offer a fax and I don't have one anyway. Neither of the other two local dealers that took deposits from me offered anything like that (one didn't even provide a receipt!), and I kinda got used to that being the way it's done (ultimately, they didn't know what they were getting when; much less the VIN). Lowered expectations. I'm just excited that they actually have one in stock and are letting me purchase it out-right. They know that I am on the way with the money and the deposit should seal the deal.
#6: Yeah, I've been trying to plot the best day to return all day. I'm trying to get Wed/Thu off work so I can come back Fri, but Tue looks to me the clearest. If I can come back Fri, we may hold off going until Tue so I can pay the DDS a visit, call for the VIN, etc. Unfortunately, I won't hear from my coworker until he comes in to relieve me at Midnight tonight. Because I may still leave tonight, that's certainly flying it by wire!

Thanks! That's much bette rthan the stats I've been pouring over at weather.com. Being color-blind makes the "Interstate Forecast" thing useless to me. ;)

1 - ask the dealer for a temp plate
2 - as for payment. if you transfer to your other acct in order to pay with your visa debit make sure you know what your daily limt is as far as debit purchase. Some banks don't allow you to make a purchase of more than 2k - 2.5
3 - easy way would be to bring a bank check for the balance
4 - i also dont think you have to pay VA tax.....I live in NJ and bought my bike in NY and didnt pay tax. It was paid when I registered the bike in NJ
#1: I thought I could only get a temp plate if I have applied for a plate and paid the fee in my OTD costs. A coworker of mine said he bought a truck in AL and it had one, but they may not have gotten rid of the loopholes like GA has: No more unofficial temp plates; no more "Tag Applied For" on used cars either.
#2: I thought it was an ATM withdrawl limit. I don't want to carry that much cash if I don't have to, so I'll check for the closest BoA they have. My mother will be with me with her card so I could transfer more to hers if need be. :) If my iPhone didn't die on my this morning, I could do it at the dealership. :(
#3: I already have one filled out but the concern was that they might not want to let me take the bike until it clears. I dunno, I guess they can hold the funds electronically even with a check these days so that'll probably work just fine.
#4: Well, it looks like it depends on the state. I saw some other examples online where the tax is supposed to be collected by the dealer and sent to the appropriate state's DMV/DDS. If you have proof of it, you only pay the difference in tax rate (if any) and, if you don't have proof of it, you have to pay it all over. This is something I'll have to ask the dealer about. It sounds easier to just not charge me the tax in the first place if GA will charge it, so I don't know why some states do it the other way. I will relay your experience and see if I get the same treatment. :)

Be prepared for how sore you're going to be riding all that way lol.
I rode longer than that on the Buell Blast during the H-D R'sE MSF BRC. ;) Yeah, it was only about 60 miles total and I WAS really sore, but the lil' 250 isn't a "thumper" like that one. Heck, if I can find a way to ship my 52" TV to San Diego cheaply, I'll drive it to San Diego before I move (get some much-needed practice before I hit the city streets).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
as far as the daily limits, there are usually 2. 1 for cash (atm) withdrawl and the 2 is for daily max purchase. this is the one I'm talking about. Call the cust serv # on the back of your card and ask what it is.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I do not recommend riding it home that far.

First off, you appear to be a new rider. I think it would be a better idea to get used to the bike riding around town close to home in case something happens.

Second, the specified break in for that bike is very restrictive. You aren't suppose to go over 30 mph for the first 500 miles, or something rediculous like that. Now I've never really beeon one to abide by the manufacturers break in, I think it's more important to vary rpms a lot and do an early oil change. But riding several hours on the interstate at a constant 11k rpms (or whatever it is) sounds terrible for a new motor. I guess you could take back roads all the way home, but it will take you forever. There are actually a lot of good roads on the way home, but that's takes us back to problem one. You are a new rider on a new bike, and some of those roads are pretty challenging.

On top of all that, you have the paperwork problems you've talked about. I think it's best to just get a trailer and haul it back.

Maybe I missed it, but why are you buying a bike that far away? I'm sure they have 250's in GA.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I do not recommend riding it home that far.

First off, you appear to be a new rider. I think it would be a better idea to get used to the bike riding around town close to home in case something happens.

Second, the specified break in for that bike is very restrictive. You aren't suppose to go over 30 mph for the first 500 miles, or something rediculous like that. Now I've never really beeon one to abide by the manufacturers break in, I think it's more important to vary rpms a lot and do an early oil change. But riding several hours on the interstate at a constant 11k rpms (or whatever it is) sounds terrible for a new motor. I guess you could take back roads all the way home, but it will take you forever. There are actually a lot of good roads on the way home, but that's takes us back to problem one. You are a new rider on a new bike, and some of those roads are pretty challenging.

On top of all that, you have the paperwork problems you've talked about. I think it's best to just get a trailer and haul it back.

Maybe I missed it, but why are you buying a bike that far away? I'm sure they have 250's in GA.
I've documented the saga of "why?" here already: no, they do not have 250's in GA. Every dealer around got their last '08s of the year in June and all the rest just had their remaining '08 orders canceled. I've had deposits on bikes since early Spring and they keep getting canceled. Even in VA, the only reason they had one was, in the dealer's words "by the grace of God." You see, they bought out another Kawi dealer. Kawi is only supposed to be dealing out certain amounts to indivdual dealers to ration the limited supply. That meant that they were not expecting Kawi to fulfill the other dealer's orders and therefore had not taken any deposits on them. They received four on a Friday and had already sold three by the time I called on Tuesday (only one business day in between). I truly "lucked out" to find it and it just so happened that I was going up to WV the following week (only 12mi away).

Yes, "home" would have been the best place to get used to the bike, but I think we can both agree that the twisty mountain roads with gravel scattered on them and pavement only about one lane wide is about the worst place to start. I tried my damndest to rent a truck, but absolutely no-one in the area would rent me a one-way pick-up truck to the Atlanta area, despite the fact that it is the world's busiest airport (flip-flops with Chicago). I tried 'em all too, Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, U-Haul, etc. As far as varying the RPMs and changing the oil early, I tried that too, but every Kawi dealer on the way was booked solid for up to three weeks. I just decided to pick the slowest vehicles on the Interstate and stay behind them as long as possible. By the time I got home, I was just over 600mi and I took it in for service the next morning (it'll be there until Tuesday). As far as taking other roads, I checked "avoid highways" in Google Maps and saw that it took me right into Knoxville where a friend lives. I remebered that he said that "The Dragon" was nearby, so I did a little research and found that, sure enough, the route put me on Hwy 129, AKA "The Dragon" in one part. Screw that! Even looking at the Interstate maps and calculating the routes between each of the cities with the "avoid" option, the roads looked every bit as bad. Interstate seemed to be the only option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts