Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install an LED light kit on my 09 ZX10R. Any suggestions for who makes the best kits? I was going to go with an HID kit but was told HIDs are old tech now, so I want to go LED.

The is also some confusion on which bulb sizes to get. Stock halogens are H9 and H11 and was told that an H9 bulb is the same thing as an H11. I was also told that they may be the same (connection wise) but have a different light pattern.

Any thoghts?

·
Registered
344 Posts
First off, the bulbs have various different names in some cases. From what I can tell, the main difference between those two is that the H9 runs at a slightly higher wattage than the H11 does. So, in theory, as long as the power is fine, you shouldn't have issues.

Personally, I've been running H7 LEDs in place of the stock H7 Halogen bulbs for a while now. I've yet to have any issues with it and it was as simple as just replacing the old with the LEDs and no wiring changes needed. Any H9 or H11 bulb is supposed to be compatible with the voltage and socket, but it's still worth verifying that the power draw is appropriate. The socket is slightly less important to verify as either it's going to fit appropriately or not, it's not going to be secretly not fitting.

EDIT: And if you haven't already done it, I replaced the instrument cluster lights quite a while ago with LEDs, it was well worth it. If you look at the back of the cluster and can just see a series of wires plugged in with boots covering them, replacing them with LEDs is going to be super easy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, the bulbs have various different names in some cases. From what I can tell, the main difference between those two is that the H9 runs at a slightly higher wattage than the H11 does. So, in theory, as long as the power is fine, you shouldn't have issues.

Personally, I've been running H7 LEDs in place of the stock H7 Halogen bulbs for a while now. I've yet to have any issues with it and it was as simple as just replacing the old with the LEDs and no wiring changes needed. Any H9 or H11 bulb is supposed to be compatible with the voltage and socket, but it's still worth verifying that the power draw is appropriate. The socket is slightly less important to verify as either it's going to fit appropriately or not, it's not going to be secretly not fitting.

EDIT: And if you haven't already done it, I replaced the instrument cluster lights quite a while ago with LEDs, it was well worth it. If you look at the back of the cluster and can just see a series of wires plugged in with boots covering them, replacing them with LEDs is going to be super easy.
I've been doing some research and from I read, the H11 is the low beam and the H9 is high beam, which is why the H9 has a higher wattage. Now, another article I read is that LED bulbs do not do very well in a projector lens and that HIDs are actually brighter than LED light. I would still want to go LED simple because of the higher reliability they have over HIDs.

My research has also led me to believe that LED lights from DDM are high quality kits compared to cheaper ones you may find on Ebay or Amazon.

How do you like your LED lights? Is the a big improvement over your old halogens? I'm looking for a clean, white light that will allow me to see further down the road at night. I'm also willing to pay a little more if it means I get a high quality kit.

As far as my cluster lights, my gauge cluster is actually pretty bright at nigh. Maybe it's the white face gauges that help.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've been doing some research and from I read, the H11 is the low beam and the H9 is high beam, which is why the H9 has a higher wattage. Now, another article I read is that LED bulbs do not do very well in a projector lens and that HIDs are actually brighter than LED light. I would still want to go LED simple because of the higher reliability they have over HIDs.

My research has also led me to believe that LED lights from DDM are high quality kits compared to cheaper ones you may find on Ebay or Amazon.

How do you like your LED lights? Is the a big improvement over your old halogens? I'm looking for a clean, white light that will allow me to see further down the road at night. I'm also willing to pay a little more if it means I get a high quality kit.

As far as my cluster lights, my gauge cluster is actually pretty bright at nigh. Maybe it's the white face gauges that help.
Mine have been working out pretty well so far.They're rather bright and the layout on mine is pretty good. They are a bit on the blue side, rather than the more white halogens that I'd been using, but they should be much more resistant to damage due to vibration. And when they do fail, they shouldn't leave me completely without a head light.

I haven't had much of a chance to be out at night recently, but they do seem to be brighter than the ones I had been using. The previous ones I was using were Sylvania Xtravision Halogen bulbs that were roughly 1000 lumens, the LEDs I'm using are 8000 lumens and it is a bit easier to tell that they're on during the day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to tell you about my experience using car LEDs instead of light bulbs. For many years I have tried probably everything possible. I switched from motorcycles to a car a long time ago because I had many children! But I still would not give up such a beauty in the car! I even bought myself something new recently Vont Smart Light Strip For Car. It's a great option! It's time when the bulbs are a thing of the past, and in stores a huge selection of LEDs, but that's what they are the quality you never know until you buy it yourself and try it out. Unfortunately, many have to take the risk!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts