Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so when i got my bike the tail lights wernt in it(they are aftermarket i dont know what brand) and when i put them in during the day you can barley see them and at night when i hit the brake you can hardley tell so my question is, is there any way to make led's brighter or did this guy just buy ebay junk that is never going to work and if so does anyone know were i can find 2 2in. tail lights?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
LED's work well when you put a LOT of them together. A lot of eBay taillight brake and turn signal LED gigs only have a half dozen LED's in them. Needless to say they don't put out that many lumens. You can't make them any brighter (short of putting higher mcd LED's in, but that requires you to remove EACH individual LED and solder in the brighter ones). Heh.

An example on my bike:

With 50 brake LED's lit up notice how it's still not even as bright as the ONE brake light bulb? Albeit they are spaced out whereas the bulb is focused in a small area.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hummmm.... know were i can get some new ones? they are just 2in circles......i wish i just had a stock light but i have a race tail on it and there is no brackets or a hole for it

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Hrmm. Well if it's possible to fit you might fill those holes with something like

That. Randomwalk posted pictures comparing the stock 1157 style bulb and two different LED bulbs. You can pick up the 1157 style sockets from any auto parts store and the bulbs from various places online. It'd be kind of a pain to fab up, but sounds like you might not have options :p On the upshot LED's produce very little heat so if the bulb is close to the plastic you don't have to worry about it melting the plastic.

·
Registered
679 Posts
LED's work well when you put a LOT of them together. A lot of eBay taillight brake and turn signal LED gigs only have a half dozen LED's in them. Needless to say they don't put out that many lumens. You can't make them any brighter (short of putting higher mcd LED's in, but that requires you to remove EACH individual LED and solder in the brighter ones). Heh.

With 50 brake LED's lit up notice how it's still not even as bright as the ONE brake light bulb? Albeit they are spaced out whereas the bulb is focused in a small area.
I replaced mine with 6, just one of them is a lot brighter than all 12 or whatever that were there stock :D. Click the link in my sig to see.

To the OP, I would revert back to stock in the meanwhile or get something better. Stock might be cheaper to buy off someone..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts