Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of lights in Houston that need to be tripped in order for the left turn arrow to turn green. Bikes wont trip them. I could sit there for 3 hours at a red arrow. How many people just turn left on red like I do? These lights are on roads that usually have no traffic, especially after midnight.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I wait 2 change cycles then go, only if no cars in sight. If I get pulled over, I'd tell him I waited and waited, and it wouldn't turn. That pisses me off so much, lights not tripping! Cars behind me honking at a red light because I won't go, wtf? It's RED, it didn't change, what do you want me to do?! Ok, I'll stop now, I could rant for an hour about this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can try dropping your kickstand right on the magnetic strips and that can helps sometimes. Also, there's a magnetic product you can buy that gives you a larger metal "footprint" at the light which works pretty well (So i've been told). But of course, if the coast is clear and you've already waited for a set of lights and it just passed on you, gun it. Make sure you wait for a set or two so you can explain it to the cops though. ;)

----
Rubber side down...

http://www.ninja500r.info

·
Registered
550 Posts
Put your kickstand down on the sensor wire (you can usually see the cut line in the shape of a rectangle.) Once in a blue moon that will make it go ahead and change. Usually not. If I'm stuck at a light I normally try to take a right, then make an immediate u-turn. I figure it shows the cop that I was trying to figure out a way to not run a red light, even if u-turns aren't legal on that street. Stuck at a left turn arrow like you describe, I'd just run it after a couple of cycles like hokie said.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
If there is nobody around, just go. Most states(I think) have a law that says if a light is malfunctioning, you can treat it as a stop sign and proceed with caution.

It sucks when it is a busy intersection though and you don't have an opportunity to run it. I usually try to pull forward a bit and allow the car behind me to move up and trip the sensor. Sometimes they are stupid though and don't realize what I'm trying to do. They will just sit there with a big gap in front of them wondering why the light won't change.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by BrandonM7
I figure it shows the cop that I was trying to figure out a way to not run a red light, even if u-turns aren't legal on that street.
better be careful with that train of thought. it also shows the cop that you were looking to scam your way out of a ticket by trying to cheat the system. i would rather run the left light then take my time in an intersection i "think" is clear and deal with the u-turn. way too many blind spots during that operation for me to bother!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I believe in TN you can go after two cycles of waiting. Though I haven't tried the "kickstand" on this bike, I have slammed the "centerstand" (it's thicker) on my 500 to trip the light.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
any Texas peeps want to chime in on this? i have also been wondering about this and prefer not to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Originally posted by BrandonM7
Put your kickstand down on the sensor wire (you can usually see the cut line in the shape of a rectangle.) Once in a blue moon that will make it go ahead and change. Usually not. If I'm stuck at a light I normally try to take a right, then make an immediate u-turn. I figure it shows the cop that I was trying to figure out a way to not run a red light, even if u-turns aren't legal on that street. Stuck at a left turn arrow like you describe, I'd just run it after a couple of cycles like hokie said.
[:++1]

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
if theres a car behind me, ill go forward and if the car doesnt follow, ill motion him to pull up. If theres no car behind me, and its late, and ive been sitting there for a while, ill just look both ways and just go.

N

·
0 Posts
may be a bit risky but i usually stop like a couple feet ahead of the white line. that way whoever gets behind me will be right behind the white line and will be in position to trip the light.

·
Registered
203 Posts
there is a road that i take everyday, that has a light that won't trigger for me... so i treat it like a stop sign everytime.
i dont even bother waiting a couple cycles. i figure if a cop sees me run a red he's gona give me a ticket whether i waited a coule cycles or not... o yeah in cali the law is 3 missed cycles... but thats like 10 mins and i aint waiting that long.

the kickstand trick:
put your kickstand down on the sensor line with clutch engaged IN GEAR, it will cut off your motor, start it back up: the electronic starter will help trigger the magnetic sensor.

my buddy has this magnetic disc be bought for $30, that attaches to the inside of where your left & right lower fairings meet, that triggers the sensor everytime, so he claims

·
Registered
470 Posts
my MSF instructor told us a neat little trick. He said he does this and it works 99% of the time if its a magnetic sensor.

he told us to pull in the clutch and push the starter button. the starter creates a magnetic field which trips the sensor. has worked for me a lot.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Originally posted by uuc328
can you get us a link?
yep i'll ask him for it

Originally posted by jerzefigga
my MSF instructor told us a neat little trick. He said he does this and it works 99% of the time if its a magnetic sensor.

he told us to pull in the clutch and push the starter button. the starter creates a magnetic field which trips the sensor. has worked for me a lot.
yeah i said that already

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by Jaxn

yeah i said that already
you said to put the kickstand down, kill the bike then start it up again. my instructor told us to do it while the engine is still running. saves time that way.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I wouldn't think it'd be good for the starter to engage it while the bike is running...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts