Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone elses right leg go numb while riding?

My leg almost immediatly after getting on starts to go numb and I get this super-ass sharp pain in my shin area. Is there a muscle there?

Of course, this wouldn't ever keep me for riding, I'm just afraid it may have some long term effect because a few people have asked me if my leg was hurt ( later on in the day ), because I'm just barely limping on it...but I don't realize I am, ya know?

I think part of it is the rearsets being so damn high up, compared to me at least. If I buy aftermarket rearsets, will I be able to making them farther down and more rearward?

I'm not trying to be comfortable, just safe, and a I don't think a entire numb leg is safe leaning into a right turn...oops my leg fell off! [:I]

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
I've had wrist problems more than leg problems, just on long rides zoning out and unconciously starting to put too much weight on my wrists...on REALLY long rides (2+ hours interstate commute) my legs will go numb a tad, and I feel vibratey and shakey when I get off, but I have leg cramps more than numbness, because my rearsets are much higher and farther back than stock, so on long droning rides my legs get a little tight. You can get aftermarket rearsets that will push the pegs back up to like 2", but I don't think anyone makes any brackets that let you push the pegs down at all.

It's probably something your body will get used to, or maybe where you're positioning your body is a little off. Do you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, or the archs? How close do you sit to the tank, usually? Do you grip the tank with your knees to take some weight off the rest of your body, or do you put a lot of weight on your legs or wrists? Sportbikes aren't comfy, so depending on how you're sitting different parts will start hurting. Welcome to the club. =)

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
You haven't ridden for a while, when I first got back on the saddle after a long layover it took me a while to get comfortable, my arms would get extremely tired while riding. You'll find a comfortable position and your body will get used to riding again, nothing to worry about imo.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you guys are crouched down, going fast and what not, where are your elbows compared to your legs? My elbows have to rest next to them because I'm so tall, and even if I'm sitting up, I have to keep my legs in "race" position or they'll hit the sides of the tank and be all spreading eagle and shit.

I fluctuate where my foot rest, the angle, shit it could even be my shoes!

Also since we're on the topic of trig's problems...

Is shifting from 2nd to 3rd always hard? Is there something I'm supposed to do differently? I shift to 2nd like butter, and when third comes it takes a damn kick to get it to switch, of course WITH the clutch pulled in...

My feet are so big, I use my toes to shift, and if I'm accelerating fast it is frustrating to change postions and jam my whole foot under there because my toes aren't strong enough point to do it?!?!?

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
All I can think of is your bike is new and you just have to get used to it. I have no problems shifting, I wear a size 13, but I did get a set of adjustable rearsets. How many miles do you have on it so far???

·
Registered
44 Posts
i had the same questions when I first started rideing in july. I thought i was doing perminate damage to my wrists, and my hands would be soar and numb for hours after rideing. Now i dont eaven notice. Your just useing muscles and tendens that you arent used to useing.

As for the bike, your just breaking it in.. I thought i was gunna have trany problems and i kept hearing ticks in the motor and thought my valves had to be adjusted. mines nice and smooth now with 6,000 miles. Just be carefull wile comeing to stops, make sure you downshift with the speed your going, dont just hold in the cluch and roll to a stop. I got mine stuck in 3rd at a light....sucked

my spellings pry realy bad here, I seem to only post wile im baked

·
Powerhungry
37,957 Posts
try adjusting your shifter UP a little it will help "getting ur foot" under it for quick or unexpected shifts.
try riding with your feet as far back as possible/comfortable, on the pegs. and usually, for me atleast, the closer to the tank i set, the better it feels..overall.
oh and ITS NORMAL. u'll get used to it.
enjoy!

·
Registered
875 Posts
All sounds normal to me... I had some problems getting my foot under the shifter too (sz 13), esp when taking off from a stop at first, but its gotten better as I've gotten more miles under my belt. Do you have riding boots? I'm sure it'll get easier once I get some riding boots with a lower profile than the timberlands I wear now.

Yes, there is a muscle that goes over your shin, it makes your toe point up when flexed. Its a small muscle, and it doesn't take much to make it sore if you aren't used to using it. If it is sore, it will make you limp, you'll be walking like your foot is falling flat on the ground when you take a step.

You are breaking in your body to using muscles its not used to using just as much as you're breaking in the bike. It'll be more comfortable with time, esp if you get to ride almost every day.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Mad Mike

Yes, there is a muscle that goes over your shin, it makes your toe point up when flexed. Its a small muscle, and it doesn't take much to make it sore if you aren't used to using it. If it is sore, it will make you limp, you'll be walking like your foot is falling flat on the ground when you take a step.
Dude, that is exactly it! I take a step with the left foot pick up the right and kinda stomp it...LMAO. Glad I wasn't just blowing smoke, and I'm actually doing something goofy.

Thanks for the insight guys! :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think it will work itself out when you get used to it, trig. I will comment and say that the 600 looked small on you in the picture becuase of your height. I really have no idea if a zx-10 is a different size, read:taller, but if it is, it may be something to consider sooner rather than later.

It's like shaq trying to drive a mini, he could do it, and once he gets used to his head sticking out the sunroof and his knees always up to his chin with the seat all the way back, it won't be so bad. But he really should think about upgrading to an escalade....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Also, the shifting will likely work itself out after it breaks in a bit. After that, it should be that 'hard' to shift into 3rd. Then again, it seems kawi isn't exactly known for its butter smooth transmissions.

What kind of shoes are you wearing when you ride or did you get boots yet? While a steel toed shoe might be safer than a tennis shoe, its also usually much bigger and harder to use to shift with. Real riding boots like sidi's are the best, and it will make finding the shifter a lot easier. Plus they are just as comfy as tennis shoes...well at least mine are! I know buying them can be costly, especially at first, but the first time you ride in them you will forget all about that $200 you just spent. A lot safer than a tennis shoe especially with laces...and a lot safer than a steel toed work boot or something like that because those are just too big and bulky imo.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am wearing some vans right now, but there to small for me ( you try going to the mall and finding size 15's in the style I wear )...I wanna get some sidi's soon tho.

I rode my buddies busa and man it felt so good...I was so stretched out, it felt like a goldwing compared to my 600, but that is not in my price range for a while, and the 600's power is 1000 times what I need, so it would be a waste to upgrade, I think.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Originally posted by trig
I am wearing some vans right now, but there to small for me ( you try going to the mall and finding size 15's in the style I wear )...I wanna get some sidi's soon tho.

I rode my buddies busa and man it felt so good...I was so stretched out, it felt like a goldwing compared to my 600, but that is not in my price range for a while, and the 600's power is 1000 times what I need, so it would be a waste to upgrade, I think.
My comments were based on the fact you weren't comfortable. My thinking is that if you can't ever be comfortable on it, once the newness factor wears off, it won't be fun anymore. Plus, when your leaning into a turn, and your leg is going numb, or your thinking about it going numb, or your thinking about comfort factors...well that means your not thinking about important stuff.

For me, when my foot goes numb it makes it hard to shift or brake...when my wrists/hands go numb, harder to clutch/brake/throttle. I've learned how to position myself such so these things don't happen as often and when they do start to happen, how to lessen the effects. Hopefully you will as well.

Anyways, I best get back to work lol..

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
The shifter will get smoother with time and a few oil changes. It just needs to break in a bit. Also I notice that my shifter gets a little stiff between oil and filter changes for the first few miles until the oil gets back into the tranny and gets nice and worked in. As for the shifter being uncomfortable, you can adjust it (I believe you can adjust it stock, and I know you can adjust it with aftermarket rearsets). There should be a rod connecting the shifter lever to a part on the transmission. That rod should have two lock nuts on either end of it. If you loosen them, you can twist the rod to make it longer or shorter, which will pitch the shifter lever up and down. Modern sport bikes have all sorts of great adjustment options. It's great.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Originally posted by trig
Size 15[?][?][?] You are kidding right. How tall are you? What's a size 15 in a men's size???:D

·
Registered
857 Posts
yeah you'll get used to it, my left leg cramps up sometimes when doing long sitdown wheelies but thats it, if your really having trouble try some adjustable rearsets maybe then you can change the angle of your foot and also move the shifter so it is easier to get your foot under it...good luck happy riding

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.