Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The motorcycle manual from DMV says:

"Use your high beam it is legal and safe to do so." Word-by-word. It does not specify under what conditions.

Seems to me like it says that it is legal to use the high beams at night (which is illegal on a car if there is oncoming traffic) on my bike... but just want to double check before I get pulled over by an idiot cop.

Anyone been pulled over for using their high beams at night in California?

Also... I changed my high beam to yellow, should that matter? As long as I am aware, yellow is legal on the headlights.

The entire paragraph says:

"The best way to help others see your motorcycle is to always keep the headlight on. Studies show that during the day, a motorcycle with its light on is twice as likely to be noticed. Using your high beam during the day and at night increases the chances that oncoming drivers will see you. Use your high beam it is legal and safe to do so. When it is foggy, use the low beam." Page 24.

But later it says:

"Use your high beam whenever you are not following or approaching another vehicle. Be visible..." Pg. 27.

WTF.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's kind of a jackass move to ride with high's on at night in my opinion. The glare is extremely distracting and can be hazardous. The only time I ever do it is if I'm splitting through traffic on the freeway. It's like the parting of the Red Sea.

·
Banned
45 Posts
All 50 states have laws about dimming lights to oncoming traffic. In fact this is one of the top 3 things cops look for (primarily with automobiles), to use for probable cause, to effect an investigatory traffic stop looking for DUI's.

The other 2 being, no lights on at all at night (cars) failing to maintain lane.

So, when your driving your cage, had a couple of drinks, its at night, ALWAYS drive with your lights ON, and always leave them on dim, and stay in your lane.

06R to 08R

www.ticketkiller.net

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kawi doesnt make THEIR own laws.

That quote is actually from the DMV handbook for California. It doesn't specify when it is illegal or legal. It just says exactly what I wrote... which in my opinion is not very clear and it appears to me as if it just says its legal to use them since it will make you more visible.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Stop already...

All 50 states have laws about dimming lights to oncoming traffic. In fact this is one of the top 3 things cops look for (primarily with automobiles), to use for probable cause, to effect an investigatory traffic stop looking for DUI's.

The other 2 being, no lights on at all at night (cars) failing to maintain lane.

So, when your driving your cage, had a couple of drinks, its at night, ALWAYS drive with your lights ON, and always leave them on dim, and stay in your lane.

06R to 08R

www.ticketkiller.net
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?p=1316674#post1316674

This is the second post that I have read where you give advice on how to not get pulled over for a DUI....being someone who has gotten into an accident (headon collision) with a drunk driver (who already had 2 prior DUI's) I find this to be a little bit annoying and it gives me a certain amount of anger feelings. Please stop telling people how to break the law and put other people's lives in danger. I was lucky. I am still alive. Many others were not so lucky.

FYI: you will be receiving a Neg Rep from me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
high beams on

down and over here in the sunshine state (FL) i ride with high beams only. i never use the low beams for any reason. is it right or wrong dont know but havent had any prob's with 1-time or oncomming cars flashing me for blinding them:D

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
For legality seek the automotive manual, the legal usages for the high beam will be in there but basically you can use high beam at any time where you don't have a car in front of you or oncoming

·
Registered
734 Posts
I keep mine on low beam so that if I see a car at an intersection who I don't think has seen me, I flash them on and off with that little trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
<---never dim lights unless I am riding in a group of bikes. I have 5000K hids and the only time I have been pulled over by the LEO for my headlights is for them to ask me what kind of lights I am using, where I got them and if they were hard to install, then they let me go on my way and say it's good idea to ride with brights on. Last time I turned my brights to low at night, some lady in the lane next to me told me she thought I turned off and thats why she merged into my lane and almost forced me off the road.....we were on the highway and there was no exit for 5 miles....lol

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That quote is actually from the DMV handbook for California. It doesn't specify when it is illegal or legal. It just says exactly what I wrote... which in my opinion is not very clear and it appears to me as if it just says its legal to use them since it will make you more visible.
It odes not say illegal or legal because it assumes anyone with a license has an ounce of common sense. I believe the actual text says you may use them "whenever it is safe to do so" and if that's unclear you need to hang up your helmet and sell any vehicles you own. It is not safe for other drivers for you to have your high beams on when there is oncoming traffic, and it is also not safe to ride up behind someone with your high beams on. This is not motorcycle specific, it applies when you're in the cage too. Do people ride with their high beams on all the time, including at night? Absolutely. Is it safe? Well, YOMV on that point. Just remember that the only opinion that counts in this case is the LEO who may or may not pull you over for it at night. And because the way the law is written, it's HIS/HER choice whether you are in compliance.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
It odes not say illegal or legal because it assumes anyone with a license has an ounce of common sense.
Wow holy shito! You obviously don't live in southern California. They give out licenses to anyone with $30 out here!

Hell I got my class M1 license when I upgraded to the large size "Jack's Spicy Chicken" combo at Jack in the Box.

That and for legality they have to list the laws you're going to break somewhere. I doubt the ticketing officer could show up in court and say, "Oh they didn't actually break a written law per se, they just didn't exercise common sense! They were using their windshield wipers even though it wasn't raining!".

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts

06R to 08R

www.ticketkiller.net

This is the second post that I have read where you give advice on how to not get pulled over for a DUI....being someone who has gotten into an accident (headon collision) with a drunk driver (who already had 2 prior DUI's) I find this to be a little bit annoying and it gives me a certain amount of anger feelings. Please stop telling people how to break the law and put other people's lives in danger. I was lucky. I am still alive. Many others were not so lucky.

Yea bro, the first time was only annoying, but now it seems like your a DUI laywer trying to make some business, and that's just effed up.

Besides that, you sit there and say, "While your drunk, turn your lights dim and stay in y our lane." I didn't realize drunk people drove with their lights off and in the wrong lane on purpose, but thanks for the tips...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm
§ 547.333. MULTIPLE-BEAM LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIRED.

(c) A person who operates a vehicle on a roadway or shoulder shall select a distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a safe distance ahead of the vehicle, except that:

(1) an operator approaching an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet shall select:

(A) the lowermost distribution of light or composite beam, regardless of road contour or condition of loading; or

(B) a distribution aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the lamp projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator; and

(2) an operator approaching a vehicle from the rear within 300 feet may not select the uppermost distribution of light.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts

06R to 08R

www.ticketkiller.net
your a fucking moron, the idea when you've had a couple of drinks is call a fucking cab, you make yourself look stupid when you say shit like this, and being that i've lost a few friends to methods that you condone i find you to be a piece of shit, aaaand i'm done ;)

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Besides that, you sit there and say, "While your drunk, turn your lights dim and stay in y our lane." I didn't realize drunk people drove with their lights off and in the wrong lane on purpose, but thanks for the tips...
your a fucking moron, the idea when you've had a couple of drinks is call a fucking cab, you make yourself look stupid when you say shit like this, and being that i've lost a few friends to methods that you condone i find you to be a piece of shit, aaaand i'm done ;)
+1

--David

·
Banned
45 Posts

Im a fucking moron?

Well lets see, I am 49 years old, a fromer NAVY combat pilot, served in the first Persian Gulf war in 1991. Flew 27 nightime combat sorties on SCUD hunts.

Currently have over $900K in my 401K, (will go over 1 mill this year) and am now protecting people here at home thru the right of whats known as "due process".

If thats your definition of a fucking moron, then thats what YOU need to hope to be 1 day.

Lets hope you are done, as you say, but my guess is, your not.

06R to 08R

·
Banned
45 Posts
Yea bro, the first time was only annoying, but now it seems like your a DUI laywer trying to make some business, and that's just effed up.

:rolleyes:

NO, I am NOT a DUI lawyer.

But you dumbass teenage 20 somethings aren't even smart enough to realize what was posted. That is to NOT do what DUI people do so you don't get caught up in their same type of shit by mistake. Cops think you are DUI, so stops you and finds something else.

Then you dumb asses send me negative rep points like it has negative effects on the value of my 401K. LMMFAO!

Im trying to tell you how to stay OUT of trouble you don't need to unneccesarily bring on yourself, but your too immature to understand it.

Think BEFORE you post children.

06R to 08R

·
Banned
45 Posts

Little girl got her panties in a wad and now is sending me NEG rep. Oh I am sooooo upset.

Its no wonder we are loosing the war in Afghanistan and rapidly approaching 3rd world status.

Just be glad it was ME protecting you and not the other way around you silly little immature girl.

06R to 08R

·
Banned
45 Posts
Can a MOD pleeeaseeeee BAN ME? Its not enough to just go away.

If you ban me I won't get those stupid emails telling me I am missed on the Kawi forums and begging me to come back so you get 1 more hit to try and up your advertising rates.

06R to 08R

1 - 20 of 29 Posts