Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm contemplating getting the clearalternatives integrated taillight/signal but I'm curious about the legality of it.

Do the signals have to be so far apart, or seen from the sides at all?

I haven't had much luck trying to find this information on my own, so I figured I'd come to the experts. I live in Oregon.

I accidentally posted this in the model specific forum, sorry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd look here: http://www.leg.state.or.us/bills_laws/

When I was contemplating the same thing, I looked up Kansas' laws and didn't find anything that stated that the turn signals had to be a certain distance apart. Thus, I have installed the CA lights and haven't had a cop even look at them twice.

I took a bit of time to do some searches for you and didn't find much. Look in Chapter 816.120

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Thanks a lot, that was a huge help.

Pretty much what I read is that read signals need to point towards the rear, and must clearly show intent to turn. They need to be amber or yellow, and seen from 500 ft at night.

No mention on position, it just needs to be able to show intent. That is where they could get you, because at enough distance it might be harder to tell which way you actually want to go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
443 Posts
i dont know about your states but i think here, ANY mod is considered illegal. on a local forum people are always saying they have gotten written up for slip ons, flushmounts, etc.

one person got written up for having only one headlight on even though the 2nd is a high beam (like our bikes... i think he had an r6?). he explained it to the cop but the dick still wrote him up.

screw it, im still going to fix up my bike.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Yea, anything you do from exhaust to blinkers is illegal, but no one really makes a fuss if it works correctly and looks somewhat factory. It's not something to really worry about.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Signals are not required in Virginia either, and believe me when I say the Commonwealth is one of the strictest states! If you don't have/use signals, you have to give hand signals. My 2001 had all the signals removed.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL
Signals are not required in Virginia either, and believe me when I say the Commonwealth is one of the strictest states! If you don't have/use signals, you have to give hand signals. My 2001 had all the signals removed.
+1

I don't think they are required here in TN either, but I could be wrong. Mine stopped working when I tried to replace the rear signals on my old 636. I rode around months without signals with no problems. If you see a cop behind you, just use hand signals.

I've found that I still rarely use the signals on my new bike. I always turn my head and look and then point where I'm going to turn if there is someone close. I don't trust my mirrors or signals with my life.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Going to keep some form of signals on my '05 regardless of whether they're required or not, and I really don't want to go with the clear alternatives.. A friend of mine locally has them on his 636 and I find it almost hard to see from the inside of a car behind him.. Only reason I really think I see them is because I know what to look for, but to some people, it's not plain as day. Know what I mean?

I plan to keep signals because you never know when they might save your life. Seriously. I always look in my mirror AND over my shoulder, but still use my signal more or less as a precaution and a courtesy.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Originally posted by trig

Do we really not need signals? I thought there were no laws on the distance, but that we still needed them?
In Texas signals are not required but, if they are on the bike they have to work. I have not found any legislation with regard to their spacing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have the intergrated tail light on mine, I live near Philly Pa, it's DOT approved here.

--Anthony

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.