Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep readin that the RR is 'way' slower than the R !! Some of you are guilty of believing the media and their hype.

My GF and I have in our garage an 03 RR and an 03 R. I weigh more than my gf but there is nothing between these 2 bikes in performance. A day also spent at an airfield yesterday proved that there is no diff if we include the 02 636 either.

Here is my RR on the way to a genuine 159mph (176 on the clocks!)

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/temppicture/img_0348small.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I dont need to believe the media, I have friends who have 6R's and who have 6RR's.
The 6R is faster in stock form, there is no if, ands, or but's about it.
You cant take the exact same bike, give one 37 more cc's and expect them to be the same performance.

Also lap times from both the aformentioned media and racers alike show it again and again.

Now, the 6RR is an awesome bike, and with the race kit its very fast, but in stock form, the 6R is going to beat the 6RR, no questions asked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so my owning both these bikes means nothing ? Have you ridden both bikes ? Different riders would make a bigger difference than 37cc...
The power added by the 37cc is less than the difference between a good and bad engine anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Everyone has said that the rr is not a great bike unless you intend to race it and add the race kit. The r comes out of the box fast noneed to do any mods to be fast. So my money would be on the r.[:M60]

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Im well aware the rider makes a huge difference, a good rider on a 600 can beat an average rider on a 1000, thats not the point.
We're talking about which bike itself is quicker. If you were to get on a stock 6R and go do some laps on it at a track, then get on a stock 6RR, your lap times would be quicker on the 6R. The slipper clutch helps the 6RR on the track,but not that much. The swingarm pivot is something no one short of a profesional rider is going be able to use.

Im not trying to bash the 6RR, I love it, and a couple buddies have it, but its just a fact the 6R has more power and is quicker, in stock form.

·
Registered
81 Posts
actually the reviews ive read.. out of the box the 636 is quicker, i havent gotten a chance to ride the new RR but i have rode the 636.. the reason they built the 600 is to race in the 600 class.. however being a lil more tweaked im not sure if the extra 37 cc's would make up for it.. i have to proove it for myself and ride an RR..

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Let me give you some straight goods.

I have a 636 with an Akrapovic exhaust. I ride regularly with a guy with a RR with an Akrapovic (full Race system), a BMC race air filter, a PCIIIusb with a CUSTOM map, and more. His bike is absolutely stunning.

With all the work he's done, he's now able to give me a good go in a straight line. Once the bikes are wound fully, there's not a lot between them.

BUT... I outweigh this guy by some 40 pounds, and if we roll on from the mid-range or start even slower, I immediately pull a few bike lengths away from him (despite my girth) and more than hold that out the rest of the way through the gears. We are very similar riding styles and close in skill. If I had the money to put into my bike to do the things he's done, I'd leave him even farther behind. His bike was recently dyno'd with all this work at 105hp. I guarantee my bike is up of that at peak, and much up in midrange.

If you are telling me there's no difference between your bikes in a straight line, either you are a better rider than your wife, or you got a lemon 636. Period. The 636 is just plain a stronger engine.

I have ridden the RR even with the mods and I will tell you honestly and without bias that the 636 just plain makes more ponies, especially in the midrange. Power wheelies are a snap with the 636, they take a little more work on the RR. I love the RR bike, and I have no reason to knock it. Wan2Fly's is absolutely beautiful, maybe the nicest bike around. My bike is faster, and there's potential for more in there. The RR might be every bit as good a track bike (with possibly more potential), but in a straight line, I think you're kidding yourself if you think there's nothing between them.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I still wouldn't trade my RR for a 636!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by drezx6r

Everyone has said that the rr is not a great bike unless you intend to race it and add the race kit.
Actually, not everyone. Bike magazine in UK says the RR may even be a better bike on the road because all of its power is usable on the road, unlike the 636 which you can only use 80%.

·
Registered
120 Posts
what are you talkin about?

ive had my RR up to 160mph (said on the speedo anyway) and that is definitely not considered "LEGAL"

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
i have seen dyno charts saying the 636 is faster with more hp. so the RR is slower. sorry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
interesting replies. I've seen the dynos and the diff is minimal a few bhp, that alone is not enough to make the r 'way' faster. Also not enough to make the r quicker round the track. So perhaps we should be saying the R is 'slightly' quicker not way quicker ;)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
It's all relative you're right. But just to clarify... the RR DOES make peak power within a few HP of the 636, but if you actually analyze the graphs, the 636 has a lot more midrange punch and torque. Again, relatively... it's not the same gap as between a 600RR Honda and a 954RR Honda that's for sure. But a pretty noticeable jump. That you won't really notice in a straight line if you can keep the revs up on the RR, but sometime try a roll-on from 4 or 5,000 rpm and you'll see what I'm talking about. A good rider can definitely minimize the gap though, and let's face it, the slipper clutch on the RR is just plain SWEET. That alone would make me consider the RR if I could throw some mods on it like Wan2Fly did in order to get the power in line with the 636 on top. I tell you THIS too... if I couldn't have the 636, my next choice would be the RR over the R6, 600RR, and GSX-R...

·
Registered
178 Posts
With 37cc more of course it's going to have more horsepower. [:M69]

But being "faster" depends on many things. Mostly being the riders weight. Isn,t it 8lbs/hp or somethig like that? The R has about 5-8 more HP than the RR. So do the math.

I've had literbikes for the last 5 years. If HP was that important then I'd have one now. If it was that important to you guys then you should all get one too.

Is either one the "fastest" 600 out there? Maybe, but not for long. We all know how that goes. What if next year Suzuki also bores out their 600 and can get 642cc? Will you all go get it?

No matter how fast you think you are, there's always someone faster. Trust me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is really a "my pen*s is bigger than yours" thread isn't it? Just admit it... [:p]

Cuz in the end, who really cares which magazine said what, who in the internet said what about the bike you ride, who's neighbor's uncle's dog groomer who has a sister whose boyfriend once raced a CBR and lost cuz the CBR had a jet kit blah blah blah....

Just enjoy your bike. Go ride it. Stop worrying about who said what. Afterall, we all have machines (whether it's a 636, RR, Ninja 250, etc. )that will burn the crap out of 99.99999% of anything out there. Remember, most people on the road are still driving minivans, SUVs, Civics with big mufflers, Malibus with purple tinted windows with air bubbles, etc. And just about any bike will hand their collective asses to them in a heartbeat. And THAT is the beauty of riding a motorcycle.

inca jones

·
Registered
471 Posts
I dont know if i'm retarded, but I swore I saw above...a '02 636 vs. '03 RR. I may be a bad reader, but I thought thats what I saw. But I have to be mistaken cause the US didn't get a 636 last year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just for the record I have come from a TL1000R then a GSXR1000 to the ZX6RR ;)
I also race a VFR400R and have an RS250 as a track toy and a DRZ400 for fun, so big HP is not my thing anymore :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
well my 6rr is whicket its stepping down from a big bike the power like ridding my 2 stroke kx love it im a good ride and when a 636 pass me in the cy ill beleave it ,i ride with them plus im irish green all the way

·
Registered
321 Posts
Originally posted by inca_jones

Remember, most people on the road are still driving minivans, SUVs, Civics with big mufflers, Malibus with purple tinted windows with air bubbles, etc.
inca jones
Amen! Hondas with big mufflers and malibus with purple tinted windows...you forgot the Gen 3 camaros with the purple tint/air bubbles/ billy ray cyrus haircut *cough* mullet *cough* too[8D]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.