Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
What about the old 600s like the Yamaha FZR600, old ZX6R (ZZR600)? As well as the higher displacement 1990's bikes like the ZX7, GSXR750 and Honda CBR900rr? Are these okay for a totally new rider?

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
They're on par with any 600. You're still working with something that's damn near if not over 100hp in a package that ways less than 700 pounds. That's still around 7lb/hp which is still stupid high for a power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree. I have been ridding since I was 18. I laid a chopper down a few years ago and didnt get back on for 3 years. When I did, I bought a 250 ninja to get the feel again, rode it for a year, then stepped up to my Elvira. Even experienced riders should be weary of the 600's and 1ltr bikes. They will stand up on ya lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I agree. I have been ridding since I was 18. I laid a chopper down a few years ago and didnt get back on for 3 years. When I did, I bought a 250 ninja to get the feel again, rode it for a year, then stepped up to my Elvira. Even experienced riders should be weary of the 600's and 1ltr bikes. They will stand up on ya lol.
truth

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I wouldn't mind owning a 250R all the time and cruising around town on it. Pretty sure I'd be a much better rider if I started on a 250R or even maybe an old 500R.

In my opinion, I think it's ego more than anything else for most new riders; at least teenagers/kids in their early 20's. My situation, I was actually talked into getting a liter bike as my first .. people said I needed a bike that "fit" me (Being 6', 225lb). Let's just say, I'm happy it's gone. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont like riding my 250 now lol. Since Elvira has so much more power, and she's prettier to boot. Plus, being 6' tall, the 250 hurts my back. We use it now more to teach my boys how to ride. My oldest is 12 and youngest is 10. My youngest already knows how to ride it, but he cant reach the ground. lol.

·
13,060 Posts
a 10 year old on a 250!?! :eek:

ehhhh...maybe it's just me but that seems like putting a 16 year old on a zx-14 and the 16 year old cannot touch the ground, even one one side while sitting on the zx-14.

How do your kids even stop and get off?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont let him ride by himself silly. what kind of parent do you think I am?
my 12 year old is as tall a me. Plus, the 2fiddy is dropped like 2 1/2"

·
13,060 Posts
well I wasn't implying that you let him ride by himself but I can't even begin to imagine how the 10 year old especially gets off the bike?

What i'm imagining in my head is he has to turn the bike and come at you, slow down at the very end so you can grab the handlebars to steady it and hit the brakes...

Either ways a 10 and 12 year old on a 250 doesn't seem very safe to me:dunno:

Anyways, you do what you want with your kids, they're your kids not mine (not that I have any)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am too. I was taller than my dad (recently passed). My grandfather was 6' 4" tall. Im 6' my oldest is at like 5'10".
I ride on the back of the 2fiddy at all times when teaching my kids. That way, they also learn to balance the weight of the passenger as well. One day, they will have lady passengers. God willing. lol.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nope. White. my wife is hispanic, my kids are half and half

·
Registered
23 Posts
my wife is 5'4" and my youngest one is gonna be short as well. lol i feel sorry for him.

·
13,060 Posts
my wife is 5'4" and my youngest one is gonna be short as well. lol i feel sorry for him.
maybe he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
he's not gonna. lol. hes gonna be one of them mean ass little sawed off bastards lol. He is gonna kill someone someday lol. He cant control his temper. but he'll be the one that stunts whatever he rides. He aint afraid of anything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
No word of a lie: the first bike I EVER rode was one of my friend's Suzuki Hayabusa. I went really slow and didnt use much throttle. If you take your time, go step by step slow and dont feel unconfortable, I don't think there's anything stupid in that. A riding course to learn basic technics wont kill either ! If you're confident enough and know what you are doing with the right information, you should be good to go. From what I know, any skilled rider has fell at least once (even if the bike wasnt in motion) !

*my 2 cent*

61 - 80 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.