Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding for a while, but finally got back into riding 2 months ago, they didnt have this motorcycle endorsement back then. Im a Virginia resident and I have my drivers license there. Im military and stationed in California for about another year and I bought a 06 zx6r here and its registered and insured in california with cali tags. I completed the MSF rider course here in cali, I have the certification for proof, my question is do I need to go through my Virginia DMV or the California DMV?? Do I need to take any tests? If I go through California DMV, a few friends said I would have to, do I just get a cali motorcycle license or would it be car license with motorcycle endorsement?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
you wanna be careful with the out of state drivers license and local tags... i know here if have a mix you can get a ticket for it... they want you to have the same for everything... i would say you need a cali endorcement, when you go there you are going to have to get a cali drivers license as well...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you guys are saying if I goto the CA DMV I would just take the car and motorcycle written tests and I would have a california license?? I would think there would be some type of waiver for military because of out of state or am I mistaken?

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Talk to someone on base about this stuff. They are always more than willing to help you.

There's gotta be some sort of deal between the DMV and the military.

You can't get a motorcycle only license.
You can in New Jersey. Why not in Cali?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
On base you wont need it. Off base, you're a civilian as far as the dmv is concerned.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unless you take leave then take the test in VA, you have to switch your license to Cali (no testing required) then take the MSF course offered by CHP turn the certificate in or take motorcycle test in Cali to get you endorsment. Then when you move back to VA, turn your license back to VA with the endorsment.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by Rivetgeek
On base you wont need it. Off base, you're a civilian as far as the dmv is concerned.
Then new instruction per DOD states that you need a motorcycle license and an MSF course to operate on base.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You are exempt from transfering and renewing your license if you are active military. In order to get a M license you will either have to go to your home state or get it in cali which will automaticaly forfeit your old one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.