Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone... i redid my whole license plate and rear turn signals... but since i know ill get pulled over for not having a light, doesnt anyone know how to splice and wire the small lights that screw into your license plate? all the newer bikes have a separate lisence plate light, but i think mine is incorporate into my tail light.... has anyone ever done this? i would like to not start cutting wires, without knowing what im cutting.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I did mine and it works great. I placed a rectangular trailer light above my tag. It's out of view and suits its legal purpose. You can wire your type lights the same way. I spliced a positive wire to the RED wire running to the taillight. This is on when your ignition switch is turned run and park. (The BLUE wire sends a current only when brakes are applied.) The black/yellow wire is a ground that attaches to the frame. Sooo... splice your positive wire(s) to the red taillight wire and your ground(s) to the balck/yellow taillight wire. (I think it's black with a yellow stripe.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
ya, do what he said, you can probably take apart the plug and put new connectors on and crimp two wires in the connector instead of just one like it has. I think they are called speed connectors, not sure. I have tons here at the house but didnt buy them so I dont know the name, haha. But ya if you crimp the wires into a new connector and plug them into the plug it will just as good as stock as far as looks and neatness go.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My whole tail is redone as well. I have intergrated taillights, and I only have a bracket with a license plate (no light). CT plates reflect so much light, so you can't tell if they are lit up or not. I don't know about other state's plates, but I never had a problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
To pass inspection you need a light, well actually here it depends on if the wife is at the inspection garage. When its the guy you get away with everything but when she is there she checks everything. I had a cracked tail light on my old bike and she grabbed it and started wiggling it so hard she broke it the rest of the way and said "you aint gonna pass with that broken tail light"...Oh well, I guess I needed to fix it anyway.

·
Registered
471 Posts
lockhart phillips sells some cheap stuff for the lighting...they have a LED one that shoots a bean on your plates.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i went to autozone today and i needed one also so i got some crappy thing that works fine for like $5 and it is kinda big but depending where you put the plate you can hide it, min is in the recession of the tail where the orig one was cut out and you cant see it but you see the light.
Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.