Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im sure there are several ways, both safe and un-safe, to lift the front end of a motorcycle. I though I would start a thread to see the many ways of doing this as it may be helpful to somone sometime.

I am a fan of having the right tools for the right job, and I have a pitbull "newfront" front stand on the way in the mail...

But I am also very unpatient when working on my bike, and I could not wait till next friday to take off the front wheel and work on it.

So I came up with an alternative way to lift the front end so you can remove the front wheel if needed. Like I say this may not be the best way, but it worked great and I only had to use household items
(no renting/borrowing an engine puller, as somone once recomended to me).

I ended up opening and extending my Little-Giant ladder so that it straddled the front end of the bike. I wrapped tiedowns around both top rungs of the ladder, and then down to my handlebars. I lifted on the bike by the front forks and a neighborhood boy pulled the tie down straps, taking the slack out, suspending the front wheel about 2 inches off the ground.

I also have a rear stand set on the swing arm. But I figure even if you dont have a rear stand you coud put the bike in gear and set the rear tire down. This method is very sturdy, you just have to be cautious that everything is level and you dont allow the bike to go foreward or back causing the ladder to tip over (that would be disastrous).

So for all you do it yourselfers out there, here is a clever option. please share your thoughts or other ideas/methods if any:p (Im going to name this the "kwilkins method" since I invented it...patent pending;))j/k

Pics:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thats flipping sweet.... I probably would have never thought to do that. Nice

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have worried about the ladder collapsing outward using that method.
It doesnt seem like that would happen, :rolleyes:but you could easily put another tiedown across the bottom edges that would limit them form spreading apart and colapsing.

thanks everyone

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had my engine hoist lying around that I used before I got my front stand

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I am also "unpatient".

--David

·
Registered
417 Posts
Awesome!

I was well pleased when i opened this thread because when i saw the title, i thought it was another useless fucking wheelie thread. lol

I already had my smartass reply ready for the wheelie thread; something like "i use a Pitbull stand to lift the front end, any other lifting of the front in is squidly, useless and slows you down". :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was wondering how this went... But hell, you always have great ideas. I googled "Kwilkins method" of lifting.. Pant # is 01222548181448872.12215.08 Great Yob! Get her fixed so when this damn snow storm passes we can try one last rally.... Hell we need new snow pics now that you switched bikes.... REP for creativeness.

Chaos: HA HA That's funny.. Pitbull stand causes squidly wheelies... Rep to you too..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What is the load rating on that ladder?

Im just saying....
:rolleyes:I dont know for sure but Im willing to bet its about to its load limit... I dont think you could support the entire weight of the bike with the little giant 450 lbs:headshake:... but since most bikes are close to 50% front and 50% rear balanced I think it'l be alright (a good part of the bikes total weight is supported by the rear stand).

I slowly climbed the ladder to see if it would creek or crack under the aditional 230 lbs of my body weight and it supported both me and the front end without any signs of buckling.;) Not the brightest idea but I had to make sure lol

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Man that's clever. Good job.

·
Registered
417 Posts
:rolleyes:I dont know for sure but Im willing to bet its about to its load limit... I dont think you could support the entire weight of the bike with the little giant 450 lbs:headshake:... but since most bikes are close to 50% front and 50% rear balanced I think it'l be alright (a good part of the bikes total weight is supported by the rear stand).

I slowly climbed the ladder to see if it would creek or crack under the aditional 230 lbs of my body weight and it supported both me and the front end without any signs of buckling.;) Not the brightest idea but I had to make sure lol
:D

Gotcha. The engineer in me couldnt let is pass :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
nice idea

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
How are you liking that Z?? It was you who recently purchased that thing, correct??

--David

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes, I picked it up in July... I love it. I ran it a little wide in a turn 2 weeks ago, hit a rock and bent my front rim and exhaust header. Thats why I needed to lift the front end.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
:D

Gotcha. The engineer in me couldnt let is pass :)
i don't know. if it works for you, that's cool, but i can't imagine it's split 50/50. if the rear tire, when mounted, is higher than the front tire while hanging like that, you've got a forward weight bias. when you get that front stand, i would suggest using a towel of some sort on the front fender, as clearance is very limited. they're great stands, but i couldn't tell you how many people i've seen scratch their fenders cause they hurried up getting it mounted and didn't pay attention.

i had to change a set of sprockets and chain last fall and didn't have anything to use, so we used straps hanging from the garage rafters and wrapped them around the subframe. no front stand. it was all gravy until we had to put the rear wheel back on. that stupid bike was swinging all over the place and we had no extra straps to hold it in place. took us 25 minutes to get it remounted. TERRIBLE idea, but it worked in the long run.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts