Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a complete camshaft and it was shipped to me disassembled. Is there an easy way to align the sprocket on the cam like lining up the IN or EX mark on the sprocket with a lobe or something? I don't see anything about this in the service manual. There's no key on the cam and degreeing the cams with a degree wheel seems difficult since the sprocket needs to be pressed onto the cam.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Ohhh...did you press off yours to change that shattered bearing...? You should have marked it first...even then you would have been off...

In a production environment that is done with a heat shrink fit....the cam comes out of a -50 freezer and the sprocket/bearing from a hot brine bath....and I am sure they have some fixtures to help with locating it.

I don't see much choice but to eye ball the install and degree it...

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
Ohhh...did you press off yours to change that shattered bearing...? You should have marked it first...even then you would have been off...

In a production environment that is done with a heat shrink fit....the cam comes out of a -50 freezer and the sprocket/bearing from a hot brine bath....and I am sure they have some fixtures to help with locating it.

So thats kawis heat treatment secret! BRINE SHRIMP!

·
Registered
28,313 Posts

this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts