Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rode an r1 today.. it was ok, marginally faster(im sure it would be crazy at 140+) then my zx6r, but i dont see why anyone would need one, 1/4 mile times for the average ride would be the same between a 636 and a r1 just because you have to fight the r1 to keep the front down.. My zx6r power wheelies enough already. I like the flickability of the 600 size, and the extra power(which is recockulous already) isn't neccesary.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Let me tell you a little story:
My cousin came up from Orlando this weekend and he was telling me how he wanted to get a Litre bike due to the fact that he didn't think the 6R had "enough power" for him. I tried to convince him that for his build, the 6 hundresds had more than enough power specially since he has never had a bike in his life. I went on and on but I could see that nothing was getting through so I decided to go home and get my other helmet and take him for a ride.

The picture above depicts what a person holding on to dear life, on the back of a motorcycle, can do to the skin of the driver of the motorcycle.
Needless to say, I beleive he is looking into getting a 6.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Fingernail marks from a guy? I don't think I would share that story with anyone...[:p]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
hahahahahah

yeah cyberdos, never ever tell that story ever again...or if you do tell the story, replace the guy will a gal ;)

but yeah i understand, noone really knows the power of a 600cc supersport unless you have ridden one...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well I'm still looking to get the 10r, and the only reason why I aint gettin the R1 is so I can beat the R1. When ur a stupid speed deamon all you want is more power and a 7th gear [}:)]

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
why is it so hard to help people pick out the right bike for them? you have experience and they don't but they don't listen to your advice[}:)] i took my friend out dirtbiking a couple of weeks ago and he loved it so much he wants to get a bike so i'm like ok chalk up another recruit for me lol....but then he starts saying how he wants to get a 450 or 600 because he thinks he'll outgrow the 250's...then he says he wants a 250 2 stroke...and he's just learning...freaking annoying..

·
Registered
344 Posts
I currently have a 2003 636 and a 2002 CBR954. The 636 is more fun to ride on the track, the 954 is more fun on the street.

The 636 has to be revved hard to make it accelerate, this requires constant shifting. On the street this gets old after a while. On the track its great. My 636 is currently street legal, but its ridden on the street very infrequently.

The 954 has a much broader power curve. You can run a single gear in a wide range of speeds and get around quite easily on the street. It isn't as flickable as the 636, but it handles well and is very stable in the kinds of corners typically found on the street.

If I could only have 1 bike for street and track, it would be difficult to decide which one to keep. I would probably opt for the 954 though.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
The difference with you making that decision is that you are experienced. My point is that the UNexperienced rider should probably start with the 6 and work his/her way up if he so choses. I for one am extremely happy with the 6 and have no need for the extra power. It would really be useless for me. I only weigh 150 so I think the 6 was desinged to fit me like a glove. The guys that I was riding with this weekend could tell you. Out of the 11 bikes that we had there were 2 1100's and they were always lagging behind. Maybe they weren't pushing them hard enough but when you're doing 150mph I don't think that bothers you at all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont know, i love going fast, but the zx6r has more then enough speed to kill me if i do something reckless, and with another 50 or so hp under my control, i know i would try to be a wheelie king, or a straight line maniac on the street.. running 10's at 130+ is plenty fast, i dont need that extra second to shave off.... imo

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont ride the 6r much anymore since I got the 03 gsxr 1000. But I like the speed and constant wheelies. I still lov ethe 6r but man....you cant beat 154hp at the wheel. I didnt care for the 1000 at first, but after I got over the "its a 1000, its gonna loop if I give it alot of gas" Its a great big toy. Now I will say you MUST respect the power, cause it WILL put you on your butt quick. Ive come very close more then a few times, but I still want more power.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

then again I never feel the need to go fast in a straight line...its funny when I ride with people I haven't ridden before they just assume I'm a slow rider until we hit the twisties...

i guess I DON'T feel the need to get speeding tickets or risk a car pulling out in front of me when I'm doing 120+ mph in a straight line...but I DO feel the need to go 50mph on a 15mph turn risking a lowside....strange....
Same thing happened this weekend. A guy I was riding with was always the last one in the bunch till we hit the twisties. Then he was OUT!
That's good riding IMO.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have to say I used to be ignorant about sport bikes too. I have been riding motorcyles for 15 years but never rode a sport bike, I just was not into it. I, like many others, always felt that a 600 sportbike was like a 600 cruiser slow and weak and made for women. Just not true!
My current cruiser is a yamaha 1700 and it will get smoked by the little ninja. When I bought the ZX I just figured I would fix it up and sell it then maybe buy a litre bike. Well now I love this thing and could not imagine wanting anymore weight to lean through the turns. Its a perfect canyon carving bike and is plenty fast. The only litre bike I would want is the new Z1000 that thing just looks awesome!
A 600cc sport bike is not like any other 600cc motorcycle except maybe motoX

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Liter bikes like the GSXR1000 are real pigs in the twisties, it weighs 24 pounds more than the ZX-6R. When you close your eyes you can't really tell if you are on a GSXR600, GSXR750 or GSXR1000 until you twist the throttle a little.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Do you mean pig in a bad way? I hope not. I know several guys who ride liter bikes extremely fast in the twisties. I never did understand why people think liter bikes handle like shit. It's just not true.

·
Registered
164 Posts
the new R1 just looks sweet to me. you just better warm them tires up before you try acting up with an R1. my zx6RR is good enough for me though. going 145mph in 5th. gear. i dont need an R1, and for the price ill stick to my RR,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey
Liter bikes like the GSXR1000 are real pigs in the twisties, it weighs 24 pounds more than the ZX-6R. When you close your eyes you can't really tell if you are on a GSXR600, GSXR750 or GSXR1000 until you twist the throttle a little.
I would have to disagree with you on this one. The only person who says the gixxer 1000 or the R1 is a pig has probably never rode one. Look at any magazine comparo test. In every magazine article that I have ever read the gixxer 1000 either has the fastest or second fastest lap times. Usually it's #1. I dont know about you, but I consider the track as the twisties. A liter bike may not have the corner speed as a 600, but they sure can make up on exit speed and in any straight sections.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.