Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:0]Well I thought i might share a little news article with everyone about the used motorcycle shop, Shark Cycle located in Stafford CT where I purcharsed my '00 ZX6R back in July. Please read the below news article I found in the Hartford Courant...

Cycle Shop Owner Charged With Larceny

September 7, 2006

STAFFORD -- -- A local motorcycle shop owner was arrested Wednesday and charged with larceny after a lengthy investigation by the state police.

Robert J. Charland, 42, of 12 Bradway Pond Road, the owner of Shark Cycle, was arrested on a warrant charging him with third-degree larceny and mutilated/removed motor vehicle ID numbers. Police said he sold stolen all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles, along with stolen motorcycle parts, at the 11 Willington Ave. shop. The state police auto theft task force and National Insurance Crime Bureau assisted with the investigation.

Charland was scheduled for a hearing Sept. 12 in Rockville Superior Court........

I did a carfax report on my Bike and found it to be clean, im the 2nd owner but how realiable is carfax and can the state for say come after those people who unknowingly purchased stolen motorcycles with washed titles?

·
Registered
605 Posts
ROFLMAO

WTF do you expect when you name your shop "SHARK cycle"

kind of like that comedian who got onto that guy for naming his dog kilo!

·
Registered
316 Posts
IMO Carfax is a crock. It relies on a reporting body (Insurance company, govt, police etc) sending in a report. My mechanic found that the entire rear end of my VW had been replaced after a bad crash. The car should have been totaled, but they fixed it anyways. I checked on Carfax and there was no mention. Car also had flood damage. No mention of that either. THe owners had just had it fixed and paid cash, so insurance and carfax had no idea.

If you bought a stolen bike and the state tracks you down, yes. They could take it back if they can prove it was stolen. If they can prove that you knew it was stolen (and even some cases they dont have to prove it) they can charge you with receiving stolen property.

That sucks, but I am sure there are a lot of people in CT that are going to be pleased, especially if they had a bike or ATV stolen.

Good luck!

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i'd set fire to the bike and act like nothing happened. but really i wouldn't worry bout it.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by sgtcarrot
IMO Carfax is a crock. It relies on a reporting body (Insurance company, govt, police etc) sending in a report. My mechanic found that the entire rear end of my VW had been replaced after a bad crash. The car should have been totaled, but they fixed it anyways. I checked on Carfax and there was no mention. Car also had flood damage. No mention of that either. THe owners had just had it fixed and paid cash, so insurance and carfax had no idea.

If you bought a stolen bike and the state tracks you down, yes. They could take it back if they can prove it was stolen. If they can prove that you knew it was stolen (and even some cases they dont have to prove it) they can charge you with receiving stolen property.

That sucks, but I am sure there are a lot of people in CT that are going to be pleased, especially if they had a bike or ATV stolen.

Good luck!
I wouldn't say it's a crock, carfax is still usefull for finding those crashes/thefts that were claimed, but the seller is not telling you.
There is no service that can tell you a vehicles past if it was never reported.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If a bike where stolen wouldn't the owner report it to the authorities and insurance thus putting up a red flag in the DMV system? Thus Carfax would pick up on it since that is where they get there reports from. If you crash a bike or car or have it stolen and dont report it to insurance to make a claim its obviuos it wont show up in the history report of the vehicle.

Besides How the hell would I know if the bike I bought was stolen carfax says its legit with the matching Vin number I pulled off the frame from two locations on the bike, one located under the triple clamp on the front of the frame and one on the sticker attached to the side of the frame.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by trig
CARFAX worked for me. I was looking at a car and the speedo read 90,000 miles, not bad for a 87 right? Wrong. Twenty bucks later I found out it had 350,000 miles on it the day it was purchased at a auction, one week earlier.
report the seller to the cops?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by 2000zx6
Besides How the hell would I know if the bike I bought was stolen carfax says its legit with the matching Vin number I pulled off the frame from two locations on the bike, one located under the triple clamp on the front of the frame and one on the sticker attached to the side of the frame.
as far as i know, you wouldn't! people around here have been doing it for a while. they've finally started cracking down on it. people stealing bikes from wherever, taking all the useful parts (fairings, electrical, motor), then cutting the frame up and throwing it in the river.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Originally posted by 2000zx6
If a bike where stolen wouldn't the owner report it to the authorities and insurance thus putting up a red flag in the DMV system? Thus Carfax would pick up on it since that is where they get there reports from. If you crash a bike or car or have it stolen and dont report it to insurance to make a claim its obviuos it wont show up in the history report of the vehicle.

Even if the bike is stolen carfax will never pick up on it if u're running the vin number off of the frame. when a bike is stolen they usually already have a clean title frame for it before they even swipe the bike. a lot of stolen bikes are stole to order. let's say the guy bought a clean title 636 frame off of ebay. then he steals your 636 simply puts all of your parts (engine, tranny, wheels, suspension, fairings etc) on to his newly aquired clean title frame. he now has a "legit" bike. with the amount of people who wreck their bikes and in parting them out happen to sell their clean title frames bike thieves will always have a way to make stolen bikes legit.

What u need to do is check if the vin number on your motor matches the vin on the frame. if it does match then u have no worries. if it however does not match u need to run the vin off of the motor to check if it was stolen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.