Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2002 ZX6R from a friend... he broke it in gently and never had the engine above 8000rpm, but he neglected to do the first oil change (at 1000km). I changed the oil immediately after I bought it (Kawi filter and mineral oil) and today had the bike "serviced" at the dealer. The tech said the only issue was with low tire pressure, but that's just me forgetting to check. This means unfortunately that the first oil change was done at 2500km. There was a fair amount of particulate matter in the oil (as I expected) but nothing that struck me as terminal.

My question is: How much, if any, damage has been done to the engine? The bike runs great and pulls very hard, but I'm a worry wart about this stuff. Opinions welcome, but only if they're to help me!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The 02 zx-6r engines are pretty tough, so I doubt you did any serious damage....

no way to really tell how the engine looks unless you tear it apart....

spend more time riding the bike and enjoying it instead of worrying and just take good care of it from this point forward. Odds are that you will either trade the bike in, sell it or total it before the engine shows any problems that arrised from the overdue oil change....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.