Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been wanting to ride for a few months now and been looking at various bikes and came across the infamous Ninja 250R (08+).

I've read these forums up and down and even the 250R.FAQ wiki thats on google, I've come to the conclusion that I am going to start on a Ninja 250R for the following;

1)Beginner rider, never ridden a motorcycle, EVER (been driving MT for 9 yrs.)
2)Price point is key, esp if It turns out riding isn't for me
3)250R looks WAY better then the 650R ... :confused:
4)MPG are pretty good compared to my Lexus
5)Love cars, never really got into motorcycles until a few months ago.. looking to start modding this instead of my Lexus.

I've read numerous posts about if this bike is the right size for certain people, and I've read mixed reviews... but im 5'10 230lbs. and still think this bike won't be all that bad for me.. am i wrong?

I've read also that these bikes have a good turn around resale value which is nice once i get ready to upgrade in few years, hopefully to a Zx6r(look spiffy compared to 650R) which from what I understand is a super sport bike.

I've also read that people have gotten there 250's ranging from 2800 to 3200 bucks, which is a steal cause all ive seen in my area are 3800-3999 (dealer lol)

Anyways, thanks. :violent:

·
Registered
108 Posts
well i got one yesterday and i was in the same boat as you are currently. i am acctually the same size, 5' 10" 235, and the bike still whips. i picked mine up off craigs list for about 3500 with a helmet. i was a little nervous at first that it would be way too small for me, but once i rode it for the first time i knew it would be a perfect bike to start out on. i absolutly love it and so far i have driven it everywhere i can, even though it has been raining for the past two days! :p so in my opinion, a 250 would be a perfect choice, i know i haven't been riding for 15 years and don't know every single spec on the bikes, but some advice from a newbie, get it and you will love it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started out on a Ninja 250 way back when and just bought a brand new 2011 Ninja 250R again. Oh yeah, in between the two I had a 2009 ZX6R and a 2010 R1. The 250 R is just plain fun to ride and really inexpensive (as sport bikes go). It is a perfect bike to start out on. Take a motorcycle safety course and go for it. You may eventually want more power, but go for the 250R now...

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
I am like 195 pounds and even with heavy passengers the bike moves well around town , get it and change the front sprocket to 15 T on the front as your first upgrade , that is unless you like to ride on the red rpms at 85 mph lol also it will save you gas and you still have the power if you need it (downshift to 5th and it will take you to 85 or so before you have to shift ) I love my bike , get lots of complemeints for it .

Just get good insurance and a chain to secure it to a tree when you are going to leave it unatended for a while and you are gold.

Then get some nice protective gear that is not too hot (I did that stupid mistake lol) and make sure your gear matches your bike (unimportant but nice to match gear with bike) Gloves , mesh or leather jacket , boots , and most important helmet , also some nice kevlar pants would be nice , it makes you look pro and you will be thanking yourself if you ever have to hit the deck .

Watch crash videos on you tube to learn from other people's errors .

Also this bike is a most to start with , I would had droped my bike 4 times already (once with a passenger) at slow speeds because of stupid judgment errors , but it's light weight allowed me to save it .

About mods just get an exhaust , jet kit , fix the fender (get rid of it ) and get some nice digital instruments , and leave it alone , keeping investing on this bike to make it faster is not worth it ! the bike is what it is , will feel powerfull in the street , but will feel like is running on it's last fumes over 80 mph , you can take it over 95 if you tuck on a nice flat road with low wind , but not recommended to take any machine or else to it's limits for long periods of time.

Once you come to grasps that the bike is not a super sport but more like a cruiser in disguise you will love this thing .

Oh and don't let people put you down about your bike , realisticly you really don't need anything bigger than this as long as you want to break the speed limit all the time , acceleration is like 350Z 0-60 and like a honda civic over 70 .

Everyone should be required by law to learn on a 250r for at least 6 months before being allowed to drive anything bigger , but that is my humble opinion since there are people that can jump on a 600cc first time np , but in general I have seen way too many stupid kids getting killed on a 600cc ..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I picked up a 2011 250r about a month ago and 500 miles later I will say it was definitely the right choice. Ive been looking at picking up a bike for the past 3 years, doing some research on a few bikes and recently found myself in a better position to buy one. The only riding experience I had before was an old 125cc Vespa from when I was 16 but nothing on a motorcycle. I went in looking at a Yamaha FZ6r, Ninja 650r and 250r; the Suzukis just felt way too wide for some reason.

Looking at these 3 bikes and weighing out cost of ownership, aftermarket parts available (Id like to learn the ins and outs of the bike too), overall comfort of not only riding position but the bike itself, and community (might sound a little silly but I'd rather talk to past and current owners about the bike just because of the honesty you'll get, Im the same way with my VW. This place has been awesome though).

So I went with the 250r and havent looked back since. The bike is sooo much fun to ride and super easy to get on and go. I've found that its forgiving enough that you wont wreck it unless youre doing something stupid but you'll know when youre doing it wrong. I spent maybe 4 or 5 days of just riding around in my neighborhood to get used to the bike and get my confidence up and then it was out to general population. I didnt think I would take to the bike as fast as I did and had a few moments of maybe I should have gone 600 but I dont think I would have got the 600 as fast as I did the 250. Besides I'd rather be out and having fun and learning good habits riding the 250r rather than on a 600 trying not to wreck it.

Honestly in my opinion the 250 is the way to go. Read Vex's write up on the 250 and like Venom said dont let people get down on you about the 250. Looking at it the kind of people who were saying I need a 600+ were the dealer and the guy at work who knows everything about motorcycles but doesnt actually own a bike. One of my friends who is a seasoned rider started on a 250 in his words... "Same thing happened to me man. Trust me keep it a while cause a 600 will wreck you. Its easier to get really really comfortable on the 250 at first and not be the average jerkoff on a gsxr who has no idea what theyre doing and have several close calls a week."

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Had mine for a year and half and love it, sure I get some comments but who cares having the 250 suits me fine. I just like going for a ride at the end of the day to relax so I don't care about the power. I did get rid of the rear fender and put an akrapovic exhaust on because I couldn't stand looking at that stupid factory can. I have no plans to ever get rid of it. Can't go wrong

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well i got one yesterday and i was in the same boat as you are currently. i am acctually the same size, 5' 10" 235, and the bike still whips. i picked mine up off craigs list for about 3500 with a helmet. i was a little nervous at first that it would be way too small for me, but once i rode it for the first time i knew it would be a perfect bike to start out on. i absolutly love it and so far i have driven it everywhere i can, even though it has been raining for the past two days! :p so in my opinion, a 250 would be a perfect choice, i know i haven't been riding for 15 years and don't know every single spec on the bikes, but some advice from a newbie, get it and you will love it.
Thanks for the post, this makes my purchase a bit more confident!

I started out on a Ninja 250 way back when and just bought a brand new 2011 Ninja 250R again. Oh yeah, in between the two I had a 2009 ZX6R and a 2010 R1. The 250 R is just plain fun to ride and really inexpensive (as sport bikes go). It is a perfect bike to start out on. Take a motorcycle safety course and go for it. You may eventually want more power, but go for the 250R now...
How confident would you of felt if you were starting on the Zx6R instead of the 250R? I'm the kind of person that would like to invest in something I'm going to keep in the long run up front, instead of back tracking, instead trying to sale the old bike to get the new one etc.

I sat on a ZX6R yesturday (first time i sat on a bike) and it felt really good, I also noticed the handle bars are much lower then your standard sport bike... which I may have to get used to which is fine. I definitly plan on taking the MSF course which I believe is required to get your license in TX (not 100% sure unless someone can chime in on this). All and all from what I can tell I can easily find a ZX6R from 6-8K on Craigslist/local dealer compared to a Ninja 250R from 3.5-4.5 which are really rare at the dealer and somewhat pricey on Craigslist(compared to the zx6r for the amount of bike..) which is making me lean more toward the ZX6R.

After reading some of the above comments with more detail I truly appreciate the feed back, I love the look of the 250R compared to the 650R which has made me debate between the zx6r vs the 250. I know deep down inside the 250R would be ideal for the price point as well as the knowledge to learn to ride, but I can't help to think that I can pick it up fairly well and wishing I would of gotten the sportier/nicer/quicker bike for my main transportation.

Sigh, decisions decisions.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Thanks for the post, this makes my purchase a bit more confident!

How confident would you of felt if you were starting on the Zx6R instead of the 250R? I'm the kind of person that would like to invest in something I'm going to keep in the long run up front, instead of back tracking, instead trying to sale the old bike to get the new one etc.

I sat on a ZX6R yesturday (first time i sat on a bike) and it felt really good, I also noticed the handle bars are much lower then your standard sport bike... which I may have to get used to which is fine. I definitly plan on taking the MSF course which I believe is required to get your license in TX (not 100% sure unless someone can chime in on this). All and all from what I can tell I can easily find a ZX6R from 6-8K on Craigslist/local dealer compared to a Ninja 250R from 3.5-4.5 which are really rare at the dealer and somewhat pricey on Craigslist(compared to the zx6r for the amount of bike..) which is making me lean more toward the ZX6R.

After reading some of the above comments with more detail I truly appreciate the feed back, I love the look of the 250R compared to the 650R which has made me debate between the zx6r vs the 250. I know deep down inside the 250R would be ideal for the price point as well as the knowledge to learn to ride, but I can't help to think that I can pick it up fairly well and wishing I would of gotten the sportier/nicer/quicker bike for my main transportation.

Sigh, decisions decisions.
If you feel this way then get the 650 , always go with what your hearth desires , however be warned that learning to ride on a heavier/faster bike is a inherently harder and more dangerous than a 250r , that you are bound to drop your bike in the first month of driving it or so , and it is easier to drop the first than the second , most likely when you are going really slow or when you need to put your feet down , on some oil , wet pavement , gravel etc...

250R are hot items and highly looked after , you can ride it for 6 months to a year and trade it for almost as much as you paid for .

But I know myself , so if you are like me just get the 650r and get it over with .

I probably could had started on a 650r but I didn't feel ready for , now 2 months later I probably am ready for a 650 but I enjoy my 250 very much still and I love riding it every chance I get .

Your call !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you feel this way then get the 650 , always go with what your hearth desires , however be warned that learning to ride on a heavier/faster bike is a inherently harder and more dangerous than a 250r , that you are bound to drop your bike in the first month of driving it or so , and it is easier to drop the first than the second , most likely when you are going really slow or when you need to put your feet down , on some oil , wet pavement , gravel etc...

250R are hot items and highly looked after , you can ride it for 6 months to a year and trade it for almost as much as you paid for .

But I know myself , so if you are like me just get the 650r and get it over with .

I probably could had started on a 650r but I didn't feel ready for , now 2 months later I probably am ready for a 650 but I enjoy my 250 very much still and I love riding it every chance I get .

Your call !
Thanks for the 2cents, as I'm almost positive i'll drop the bike atleast once during my career as a motocyclist :p . Of course I'm more or less looking for used as of right now cause I wont feel as bad if i dropped that, and on top of all the fees of a new bike i'd feel more comfortable knowing that I didn't drop my 9K bike. Saftey is one of the main things I'm going with on my journey as a motocyclist so of course I'm going to gear out every single time. Problem I see now is, saftey in the eyes of a slower machine will keep me safer... but also will have to turn around and sell her later down the road to upgrade vs getting bigger and faster/heavier bike, and learn on that.

My mind is telling me to be smart and start on 250R just incase this isn't for me, but another part of me is saying, get the ZX6R and be happy with it cause thats all you'll ever need for years and years...

I guess if I find the right price on either or at the right time Ill go with that, but honestly I have no experience as a rider and I think I'll have a lot more room for error on the 250. I've heard that no matter how much throttle you give it and if u accidentally dump the clutch you most likely will not flip the bike... On a ZX6R I'm sure this is the opposite.. I'm just curious how sensitive the gas is on the ZX6R cause If its reasonably hard to do this then Im set on the ZX6, blah! I've done tons of research on the 250 but i think I'll need to browse the ZX forums to see the major specs between the 05-06 vs the 07-08 to get a better idea on what Im getting into.

Any other opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Thanks for the 2cents, as I'm almost positive i'll drop the bike atleast once during my career as a motocyclist :p . Of course I'm more or less looking for used as of right now cause I wont feel as bad if i dropped that, and on top of all the fees of a new bike i'd feel more comfortable knowing that I didn't drop my 9K bike. Saftey is one of the main things I'm going with on my journey as a motocyclist so of course I'm going to gear out every single time. Problem I see now is, saftey in the eyes of a slower machine will keep me safer... but also will have to turn around and sell her later down the road to upgrade vs getting bigger and faster/heavier bike, and learn on that.

My mind is telling me to be smart and start on 250R just incase this isn't for me, but another part of me is saying, get the ZX6R and be happy with it cause thats all you'll ever need for years and years...

I guess if I find the right price on either or at the right time Ill go with that, but honestly I have no experience as a rider and I think I'll have a lot more room for error on the 250. I've heard that no matter how much throttle you give it and if u accidentally dump the clutch you most likely will not flip the bike... On a ZX6R I'm sure this is the opposite.. I'm just curious how sensitive the gas is on the ZX6R cause If its reasonably hard to do this then Im set on the ZX6, blah! I've done tons of research on the 250 but i think I'll need to browse the ZX forums to see the major specs between the 05-06 vs the 07-08 to get a better idea on what Im getting into.

Any other opinions?
I can tell you one of my worse errors when I started riding was dumping the clutch too fast due to bad riding posture (getting trown back into the saddle as the bike started moving forward) and I can tell you that in a 250r it will always stall ,I mean if you really try and have the throttle wide open yeah you may flip it it may take off on you but I can assure you that the consequences will be a lot less than a 650 lol.

If safety is your concern then the 250r is a good start , and force yourself to ride it for 6 months even if you want to move forward , every week I ride I learn at least two or 3 different new things .

Will you get tired of the 250 ? well yes most likely because it sounds to me like you already want something bigger before you even start , and because you are going to get tired of people looking down on you because of they think that if you can do 160 mph on the freeway then you are a sissy , but those guys end up in a box or badly hurt most of the time anyways.

But insurance is cheaper , gas is cheaper , you get the looks from the honeys , and the bike itself is cheaper .

Maybe you wanted an opinion from someone else but here are my 4 cents now (2+2) hah

Edit:most of the real bikers (IE:not squids) are going to respect you for being a rider and are probably going to give you props for starting on something small as they have probably seen way to many new riders get killed or badly hurt for riding out of their skill range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah! Very well said Venom400!!! I think you've convince me, 250R is my bike in the near future, Now I've had my eyes set on the red 250R like yours for some time... Or maybe the Kawi Green, but I've noticed in SOME pictures the green looks really faded and others it looks SUPER lime green, are you aware of this color fadding out after some time? Or should I assume crappy cameras? Heres an example of what im talking about;
VS

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Ah! Very well said Venom400!!! I think you've convince me, 250R is my bike in the near future, Now I've had my eyes set on the red 250R like yours for some time... Or maybe the Kawi Green, but I've noticed in SOME pictures the green looks really faded and others it looks SUPER lime green, are you aware of this color fadding out after some time? Or should I assume crappy cameras? Heres an example of what im talking about;
VS
HAHA well I am flattered that my advice swayed your decision but do what you think is right , the dealer and all of your motorcycle bodies will tell you to go bigger , but they won't be paying your hospital bills or your scratched motorcycle .

Here is an example of what happens when you listen to Squid friends :

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Oh i forgot , well the red one is discontinued they have blue black and green i think

And when you get your bike keep it as stock as you can so it holds it re-sale value better and you can use the money towards the trade in

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
And looking at the pictures the first one is a earpy model08 lime green , the second is a late model SE lime green maybe that is why they look different

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2009 SE used a couple of months ago. The green is Kawasaki green just like the 2008 model. The differences in the photos are just due to light and contrast in the photo. Even on a cloudy hazy day, it's hard to miss Kawasaki green--unless you're driving in a car, I totally didn't see you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought a 2009 SE used a couple of months ago. The green is Kawasaki green just like the 2008 model. The differences in the photos are just due to light and contrast in the photo. Even on a cloudy hazy day, it's hard to miss Kawasaki green--unless you're driving in a car, I totally didn't see you!
I figured they must be the same, I thought maybe since some bikes sit out without bike covers, that perhaps the green faded out after some time. I suppose this isn't the case and most people with bikes need better cameras lol.

Honestly wish I could find a red 250R cause they look the best!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Red is the best !!! I looked around and found a new red one out the door for 3900.00
Yeah if I had it my way, It'd be Red > Green > Black > Blue

If i found a good deal on a blue 250R i'd definitly buy some white fairings for it.

Question, do you need to paint the gas tank the color of the fairings when you purchase custome fairings or does that part come with fairings usually?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts