Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first, the bike is an '04 ZX6RR. I am looking for some advice on an issue that occurred after the lock nut was not tightened down all the way after adjusting my Black path manual CCT. I detailed out everything below, trying to outline every possible piece of evidence in order to get the best advice. Thank you for the help.

So, I went to a friend's shop to have him help tighten the manual CCT because there some chain slap/ticking while idling. I got it to where there was no whining and no more to very little chain slap. On my approximately three mile ride home, I noticed that the chain slapping noise had went back to the same amount as it was before I tightened the CCT. I got a couple blocks away from my home and the chain slapping noise had grown a lot and I knew that if I did not try to shut it off or coast it home I would possibly jump timing, bend a valve, etc. So, at this point, I pulled in the clutch and the bike died. Of course, I got it home and saw the CCT bolt had backed out. So, the first thing I needed to do was get the bike into neutral. The bike fought me, but it finally went into neutral. Then, I tightened the bolt back down and tried start it, hoping that I did not jump timing. I did this and very quickly tried to crank it over with the starter, and it did turn over. So, I tidied everything up and went to start it. Then, it would not crank and would make a clicking noise by the fuse box. So, I came here and gathered a bunch of info regarding the starter solenoid and regulator and how to test them. I did this and they both checked out well. The last thing was the battery. I did a voltage test and it would hold around 12.8 volts and then drop to 7ish when trying to crank the motor, which I know is not right. Since none of these things worked, I knew that I should probably check the timing to avoid further damage. Before I took the cams and CCT out, I tried to crank it by hand and found my issue as to why the volts dropped significantly and possibly my issue that needs to be fixed overall. The motor would turn freely from about 1/4 TDC until right before 2/3 TDC. At this point, it locked up (hence why I think the bike cranked for a split second and then did not crank when I returned after tidying everything up). When it got close to 2/3 TDC, I heard a noise that sounded like two pieces of metal hitting each other. So, I knew that I better pull the cams and make sure the timing is correct and not smashing a piston into a valve. I did this and had the cam cap bolted down and the CCT installed. Here we go again... I tried to crank the motor by hand and it was fine from 1/4 TDC and stopped right before 2/3 TDC. However, I knew it was in timing this time. Another thing to is that I could crank the motor freely with the cams out. Now, I ask all of you that have read this far, what could the issue be? The bottom end seems fine as it cranks freely without the cams in, but I cannot think of why it wouldn't crank past 2/3 TDC with the cams in, if it is in timing.

P.S. I know this is a long post, thank you for reading this far. If I was unclear in anything please ask for clarification.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts