Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a first bike to buy. Do you guys recommend used ninja 650 or should I go for ninja 400? Anyone selling theirs in Southern California

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
65 Posts
This is a bike that can carry you from 1st bike to long term keeper. Here is a few things to keep in mind:
Money:
If you are stuck for money, a good condition used 650 will serve you better and is a better value
If money is not an issue then:
Do you trust yourself to be responsible?
If no, go with the Ninja 400, the 650 can be intimidating if you're not prepared and will hurt you if you don't respect it.
Otherwise consider how long you wanna keep either.
Honestly if you only keep it for a little bit, buy a near new 400 and sell it after a couple months if you got used to it. If you're keeping it for long term the 650 is a better choice, however keep in mind maintenance costs are higher and depending on what condition you're buying the bike you might need to drop money into it at which point a newish 400 would be a much cheaper endeavour hoping it doesn't need any maintenance for however long you keep it. Trust me on this one, I bought a 2011 ER6 with 25k miles for 2500 bucks and trust me when i say i dumped the same money into it already (although it's proper sharp now) Just keep it in mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight! I know if 400 isn't responsive I'll be looking for more power. Hopefully I'll find a nice super sport or sport 600. I expect to do a lot of work in the bike if it has 25k on it. While doing my research 25k on a bike is like 100,000 on a car, so It's expected to do a lot of work. I won't be buying sport or super sport with that mileage because those motorcycles most of time high revid. If you been riding for long time or used to ride sport, what's your recommendation Kawasaki, honda, yamaha to buy used?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
65 Posts
Thanks for the insight! I know if 400 isn't responsive I'll be looking for more power. Hopefully I'll find a nice super sport or sport 600. I expect to do a lot of work in the bike if it has 25k on it. While doing my research 25k on a bike is like 100,000 on a car, so It's expected to do a lot of work. I won't be buying sport or super sport with that mileage because those motorcycles most of time high revid. If you been riding for long time or used to ride sport, what's your recommendation Kawasaki, honda, yamaha to buy used?
Yeah as AusEr6guy said, try to sneak a bunch of test rides in at dealerships, decent ones will let you try a variety of bikes if you just tell them you got a few bikes in mind and want to feel what's right for you (that said please don't ask to test ride a H2) I would stick to big 4 japs aswell for used bike market. Honestly 25k is not a lot on these bikes, my ER6 at 40k miles needed no throttle body or valve adjustments and was perfect compression despite the outside of the bike being a bit rugged. The engine is solid, the rest is easy to maintain. My main problem was a rusted on exhaust and broken stud that cost me like 400 bucks in labour + 400 for the new exhaust. That said I would look for bikes just above 12k miles. Usually they are in pretty good shape and if they had a responsible owner the basic maintenance would be done. 12k is where most jap bikes have their intermediate service and people tend to stop keeping up with service records after that (or at least that's been my experience). That said, you'll only find seriously good deals on bikes with higher miles. A well maintained bike with 25k miles will outlive a bike with 10k miles if that bike has never seen the inside of a mechanic's shop. They are pretty solid anyway, mine has been through a little tumble and is still solid mechanically. That said good starter bikes are usually also used as workhorses. People who buy sport bikes and fun bikes usually tend to take care of them and use them lightly, bikes like the ER6 platform,Suzuki's SV650 platform, Yamaha's FZ6 platform and Honda's CBR500 platform usually are bought by people who need a reliable commuter, and that's what they do with them, use them day after day, in rain, and their only concern is to just keep the bike running for as cheap as possible. Keep an eye out for bikes like this as they may look good from far but close up you'll start to see chinese brake discs and pads, temporary fixes, shoddy repairs and lack of deeper maintenance.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm looking for a first bike to buy. Do you guys recommend used ninja 650 or should I go for ninja 400? Anyone selling theirs in Southern California
Those should both be reasonable choices. I'd point out that the 250 and 300cc bikes are also worth a look. They're more than powerful enough for anything that you're likely to do as a beginner and they tend to be common enough that they'll hold their value pretty well. I personally paid $2100 for a an '09 250 a few years ago and when I've gone online I see them still going for about the same price. Granted, I got a great deal, but even if I'd have paid sometime more representative, I'd still have maintained most of the value.

If your plan is to sell it and move up to a super sport, you'll definitely be better off getting something that's a 250 or 300 due to the way that they've held their value as there are a ton of them around and they tend to be bought with the intention of selling them to move up to something bigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice 👌 thank you all and hopefully soon will post back to talk about what I purchased.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A word of advice on helmets you get what you pay for. I personally won't wear tupperware (thermo plastic) helmets as I have seen the crash results. I have been using Shark for the last 10 years . But also have used Arai and Shoei. Upper range models from Bell, HJC and Scorpion and AGV are also worth a look. Certain brands may fit your head better than others. Most people tend to buy a helmet 1 size bigger than they should as it feels more comfortable on the shop but will become too loose as it starts to mould to your head. A parting thought, if you have a 10 dollar head wear a 10 dollar helmet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts