Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a local dealer and am considering the 250 as my first bike. I will use it on the interstate, and country back roads. Some of the guys at work are discouraging me saying I will be blown all over by larger trucks, that it will be under powered, I'll hate it etc. They're also saying it winds out at 70, but the Kawasaki website is saying 110 MPH. I need some advice of pros/cons from some of you current owners. I'm not looking for speed, just a first bike to learn on so I can purchase the KTM 690 SMR later on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine tops out slightly over 100 mph (indicated). I cruise busy SoCal freeways at like 80 indicated without any problems. I wouldnt worry about what the guys at your work are saying. Do they ride one?

·
Registered
44 Posts
if you need to go over 100 on a bike your an idiot. ninja will hit 100mph if not more. i seriously can't remember the last time i went over 80 in my car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
They probably just ride bigger bikes and assume that anything smaller is pointless. Buy your 250R, get good at riding it, then take them to the twisties and poach on them in the turns (or pass them?)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I work at a local dealer and am considering the 250 as my first bike. I will use it on the interstate, and country back roads. Some of the guys at work are discouraging me saying I will be blown all over by larger trucks, that it will be under powered, I'll hate it etc. They're also saying it winds out at 70, but the Kawasaki website is saying 110 MPH. I need some advice of pros/cons from some of you current owners. I'm not looking for speed, just a first bike to learn on so I can purchase the KTM 690 SMR later on.
what are they suggesting you get instead?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what are they suggesting you get instead?
A 600. But if I go that route, I want a KTM 690 SMR or Duke, and I can't yet afford that. I forgot to also mention that for 6 months, this will be my ONLY transportation in Mississippi. So I'm a bit skittish in my purchase. I want to be confident on the interstate when trying to pass autos, 18 wheelers etc. Not looking to show out, just some fun transportation to hone my skills on. I may jet it and put a pipe a little later.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
A 600. But if I go that route, I want a KTM 690 SMR or Duke, and I can't yet afford that. I forgot to also mention that for 6 months, this will be my ONLY transportation in Mississippi. So I'm a bit skittish in my purchase. I want to be confident on the interstate when trying to pass autos, 18 wheelers etc. Not looking to show out, just some fun transportation to hone my skills on. I may jet it and put a pipe a little later.
well then, buy what you know is right for you as you're the one that's going to be riding it. as far as the 250r's capabilities, it is more capable than you at this point and will serve you well till you are ready to move up.

if you are only going to keep it for 6 months, why not buy a used, pre 08 bike and save money so you can save up for the bigger bike later?

·
Registered
113 Posts
if you are only going to keep it for 6 months, why not buy a used, pre 08 bike and save money so you can save up for the bigger bike later?
I didn't read his comment to mean that he is only keeping the bike for 6 months. I read it to mean that the bike is his only means of transportation for at least 6 months, so he want to be comfortable with it.
Depends on your weight the 250's top speed is closer to 100 mph than 70. It's kindda scary that your coworkers at the bike shop doesn't even know the capability of the bikes that they are selling... :( Anyway, the 250 is a very capable bike but there are of course better bikes out there if you are mainly doing highway speeds. I would stay away from 600 Super Sports as a first bike however, take a look at the Ninja 650R instead. The 650R might have more displacement than the 600cc's but it's a twin and makes ~65 hp vs 90-100 hp 600cc bikes. It's a very beginner friendly bike and it's heavier than the 250 so it will be more stable at highway speed. You can also find used 2006 650R's for about the same amount of money as you will pay for a new 2009 250R.
I actually thought long and hard between the 650 and the 250 but in the end the 250 fits my needs better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I intend to keep the bike for quite awhile. How do you guy's transport clothing etc.? I'm looking at a new Tourmaster suit for the winter, a heated vest etc. It gets pretty cold down here, I just wanna stay warm and dry. How bad is it riding in the rain, not a severe down pour, but a steady rain?

And I agree on the other salesmen. I question a lot of their knowledge. I was trying to p/u a used 08' in Kawi Green w/ 3500 miles for $2600 but a customer already had a deposit. That would have been a deal.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Yes I intend to keep the bike for quite awhile. How do you guy's transport clothing etc.? I'm looking at a new Tourmaster suit for the winter, a heated vest etc. It gets pretty cold down here, I just wanna stay warm and dry. How bad is it riding in the rain, not a severe down pour, but a steady rain?

And I agree on the other salesmen. I question a lot of their knowledge. I was trying to p/u a used 08' in Kawi Green w/ 3500 miles for $2600 but a customer already had a deposit. That would have been a deal.
Yeah I point this out when dealers pull that bullshit.

"Ok, so I'd better get a 600. What makes it handle so much better on the freeway?"

Weight = (almost the same)
Wheel size = (the same)
Aerodynamics = (the same)
Power = (the 600's have an advantage, but they START pulling at 70 mph. So cruising at 70 is rather tricky as it's very easy to go MUCH faster) :D

Plus for reliability? The 250's are really reliable and if you re-sprocket them they make for great commuters. (That and the cost being 1/3 that of most 600 cc bikes and fuel economy being nearly double??)

As for climate, where do you live? (kkim's bound to chime in any minute to tell you to update your info bar to include that) ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts