Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on riding my bike from home(LA) to school (Logan, UT) since I'll be here untill fall or so and there is no way I'm gonna miss this summer. So, assuming I can ride for about 140 miles on a full tank, I'd be making about 6 or 7 gas stops. Now I'm a bit worried if there are gas stations that often (every 140 miles). I drove my car back and forth couple of times and at some parts I dont remember seeing a gas station for hours. I was wondering if there is a website that would tell me the gas stations along the way? (Yahoo and mapquest only give you the gas stations for a certain area and its a bit tedious to do for a 790 mile trip) [xx(] Any input greatly apriciated:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are going to be riding on the interstate, you should get more than 140 miles a tank. Probably could strech it to 170-180.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Originally posted by johnny
If you are going to be riding on the interstate, you should get more than 140 miles a tank. Probably could strech it to 170-180.
This may depend on just how fast down the interstate your going. ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not to hijack, but this website is pretty cool as it shows the cheapest gas given your zip code.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=47374&src=QL

I use Microsoft Streets & Trips and it shows gas stations, restaurants, etc. You can even enter your expected mileage and it will figure stops for you.

I would agree with the rest and you should get well over 140 miles to a tank cruising.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Your low fuel light shouldn't even come on until you hit about 140-150 riding on the highway.
Unless you're riding in 3rd gear the whole time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i've driven to colorado a couple of times. usually there is a warning sign, "next gas xxx miles" so you have a heads up. but to be safe I would fill up if i was around 1/4 tank no matter what.

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
aRE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO BE STRETCHING YOUR TANK OUT ON LONG RIDES? (damn the caps)

Every time I do long rides I stop at 100 miles to gas up and stretch just because my body can't take 150+ without stopping.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm with the above... I do 100 mile strethes and then hunt for a station to stop, smoke, stretch, and refill.
But have a safe trip man! It should be enjoyable!

·
Registered
601 Posts
i have ridden to ceader city utah 3 or 4 times to see freinds and never ran out of gas. don't realy know after that but you can make it in utah no prob.

ps. when ya going i might be taking a trip out in acouple weeks?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thnx for thet input guys real help. Unfortunatly I cracked my oilcase (tightened the screw too tight when changing oil) so I proly won't be riding for a bit. Anyone know how much to replace that? (its sunday so i cant call the dealer)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by johnny
True that shit man, when I went from Long Island to Laconia I thought I was seeing things when I compared the trip meter to what the fuel guage was indicating. If you cruise in 6th gear on the interstates you will be surprised at the mileage you will get.

I have wondered about this myself as far as going on cross country trips out in some of the more rural areas and worrying about gas. I would definitely stop to top off at every gas station I saw and or the closest one to about 100 miles... I wouldn't pass many of them.

My 9r had 108 miles on it when I had to hit reserve, I was amazed it didn't get me further. It did include a lot of cold starts and warming up while I was getting my gear on and all, but I hope to do a lot better than that as I do more and more riding.

I'm sure there is a website somewhere that will give you all the information you are looking for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.