Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange issue... Wondering if you guys can help.

The other day I could move my tank like like 2 inches each way. Busted out the allen keys to tighten up the two bolts in front of the tank and they are as tight as they will go. The rear bolt /axle is also super tight.

For some reason I can't get the tank back to stock specs in terms of limited movement. Anyone else have any ideas? Had to double up the front washers so I could ride... Strange issue.

My 07 Ninja is awesome, love it!!! When going fast I squeeze the tank but not hard enough to cause my loose tank problem.

Any help would be great....

Arioch

·
Registered
28 Posts
thats a common issue that most bikes have. somewhere under the tank there are rubber cube shaped whashers that hold the tank from play. it is SUPER easy to lose your washers! they just fall down in most of the cases espesially when you open the tank for changing the air filter or something else...but most of the time they just fall down just like that. i had this problem with all my previous bikes suzuki and honda.

the solution is very very simple,you have to go buy some washers from your nearest dealer and put them back in place.the only problem is i dont know where is that place...its writen in the service manual but i dont have one

so anyone who has the service manual or knows where the washers go please inform us.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Funny I was about to post the same question. Mine came out of the shop and I thought it was loose too. Any pics of the rubber mounts under the tank would be great. As I dont have the manual yet.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Here is a couple of pics I snapped of the rubber "grommet" in question. There is one on either side near the front of the tank. It sits between the frame and tank and isn't secured very well (just a dab of glue really). As you can see, its nothing special, and you could use any type of foam rubber material to do the trick.

This is a pic with the tank secured, so you get an idea of what the rubber piece is doing:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm... Going to check if I'm missing the rubber gromets/spacers/pads/padding/what ever you call it....

Haven't changed the air filter yet. (10,000kms)

Can they fall out from normal riding?

That's great info... THX (going to check my bike!)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the same issue. You can't use any type of foam, you need some hard/dense foam or rubber to stop the movement. If you're going to put something soft in there it is still going to move.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I had the same issue. You can't use any type of foam, you need some hard/dense foam or rubber to stop the movement. If you're going to put something soft in there it is still going to move.

Well, I don't mean literally "anything", you need a hard, denser type plastic/rubber/closed cell type stuff. The softer it is, the more you need, but you don't want something too heavy (like a hockey puck), or it will fall off too easy. A little "common dog" goes a long way, lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm... Going to check if I'm missing the rubber gromets/spacers/pads/padding/what ever you call it....

Haven't changed the air filter yet. (10,000kms)

Can they fall out from normal riding?

That's great info... THX (going to check my bike!)
they usually start to loose their grip from normal riding and vibrations,i once caught them when they where balancing on the frame after a ride.

the glue that holds them is very poor.

just buy some other ones from your dealer and tape them with extra strong 3M double sided tape.even if you total the bike some day the gas tank will be in place:rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
when you get some new ones (if they are missing) just super glue the bastards down. I did it and they havent moved once since then.

·
Registered
975 Posts
They all do it... You can fix this by putting some rubber peices under the gas tank on each side so it touches the frame..

·
Registered
249 Posts
yeah mine has the same problem i took some inch thick rubber cut it into 1x1in sleeves then taped it up to the bottom of the tank. works like a champ lasts forever

1 - 20 of 22 Posts