Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help! Just bought a 2007 zx6r I'm a Honda man but wanted to try something new! Bought it on a rainy night didn't get a good test ride in and when I finally got to drive it for the first time all gears are there definitely has power but starting in first and gassing it.. it seems to lag around 10 to 11 on the rpms almost as if it's cutting in and out all gears are there but it won't go over 103 mph

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 07 ZX6R just had similar problems(last 2 weeks) but my bike was lagging/bogging out around 6-8000 rpm especially when I tried to dump into the gas. This was happening in every gear. Once I hit between 6 and 8000 rpms it felt like I had a limiter on the motor. Needless to say... I went through a lot just to find out it was a simple fix...over looked.

Things changed/checked that didn't resolve the issue:
Changed spark plugs(needed)
Checked Coils(good)
Emptied tank and refilled with fresh gas
Checked/cleaned fuel pump/filter(dirty but working)
....still bogging....
Changed fuel pump(what the hell...might as well)
Did the Jumper mod
Checked/cleaned chain and sprockets
Cleaned air filter
Emptied tank AGAIN...cleaned inside..refilled with FRESHER gas and added Lucas
....still bogging out 6-8000 rpm...
..........What just WORKED...????
I ordered a new fuel pump filter....the one I got with the cheap fuel pump I ordered didnt fit properly so I was still using my old fuel filter...the old one wasn't in the best condition...changed the fuel filter...fired her up and she pulls past 8000 rpm with no hesitation....ikr....SIMPLE FIX....sometimes we look past the obvious....

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
37 Posts
I am wondering if this is maybe my problem..
Changed the tank /fuel pump and filter..
Bogging down like crazy around 6to8k rpms...
Tried putting original pump back.. but the replacement filter is one of those paper filters. The original one I've cleaned so I might give it a try and see

Thanks bro

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am wondering if this is maybe my problem..
Changed the tank /fuel pump and filter..
Bogging down like crazy around 6to8k rpms...
Tried putting original pump back.. but the replacement filter is one of those paper filters. The original one I've cleaned so I might give it a try and see

Thanks bro
Could be. I rode my bike all day yesterday and I had no problems... may ride today and see if I'm still in good condition. Hopefully everything works fine as well.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
37 Posts
Thanks mate.. already swapped out the fuel filter. Gonna have a rest ride when I can get out with the quarantine going on. Damn frustrating ?

Thanks for the advice man ..will keep you posted

?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks mate.. already swapped out the fuel filter. Gonna have a rest ride when I can get out with the quarantine going on. Damn frustrating ?

?

?
Ok..jumped on my bike this morning... started off good. Passing 8k...seemed sluggish at 10k+...lightly...that's just test running it up the block...kinda cold so I went a threw a coat on...went back out and bogging at the usual 6k-8k...??...
Decided to do more research on the tank venting scenario...
So I found this hole when you open the gas cap up inside the well...assuming this is the overfill/vent hole....didn't know where the hole was before...or where the tank vented from...hopefully this is it...but I stuck some wire through it as far as how much wire I had...wire was white came back dirty.... jumped on the bike....vroom well passed 8k and 10k... rode up and down the block gassing it....6 or 7 runs...boom boggy again around 6k-8k.. so I thought if that's the problem let me pull to the side...cut the bike off...open the tank..let it vent and give it a go again.... to test my theory...so I do... start up and hit it down the road...vroom well pass 8k no bogging... I'm going to see if I can unclog this vent all the way through because now I believe I see the issue...i'll update in a few

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
37 Posts
Yeah that's what it was the 1st time I tried to get my bike sorted.
Took it for a service.. set me back about $900 (give or take the exchange rate)
Got the bike back with broken fairing panels and a scratched tank.
Bogging worse than it ever had...
Vacume hoses weren't connected to the airbox.. and I stripped down the gas cap to remove the grime.
Bike immediately started pulling MUCH stronger..
Took a while to eliminate the problem(s)
Bypassed the kickstand switch
Cleaned the spark plugs (brand new)
Cleaned the chain and sprocket
Set the chain slack
Found a lose bolt in the centre of the airbox
Did a LOT of things.. ran a lot of fuel injector through the system

When I started running the tank a bit lower on gas it began steadily pulling better and better..

I thought it might be rust in the tank which is why I swapped it out..

But it all "reset" to utter crap the moment I put the green tank on...

I'm a bit confused as its supposed to be from an 07 zx6r.. but it doesn't fit 100%;
I can't see if its maybe squashing the fuel line ..

Gas Cap is something I am going strip down again..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vacume hoses weren't connected to the airbox.. and I stripped down the gas cap to remove the grime.
Set the chain slack

When I started running the tank a bit lower on gas it began steadily pulling better and better..

I'm a bit confused as its supposed to be from an 07 zx6r.. but it doesn't fit 100%;

Working on bike now. Went to autozone got something long and flimsy enough to travel the tank but still strong enough to push the muck out. And boy it was clogged... hit the highway...bike pushed like a champ...until around 11.5k... wont pass it...so I got it pass 8k..was able to hit 110mph...still not where I want it...so I'm going to pop my tank off...put my old fuel pump back on cause maybe this cheap pump I bought wont push it and I figure my fuel pump was never the problem so I'm doing all of this now...

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
37 Posts
Come to think of it I haven't checked the overflow on this tank..
Glad to hear you are getting closer..
Question; the two bolts on your gas cap..the "dummy" ones that don't really do anything..do those seal properly? I added two nuts to the ones on my gas cap.
But then again I think my seals/gasket on my cap are a bit short..

Think I'm going to strip the gas cap..
Clean the overflow with a piece of wire ..think I have something that should work

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
37 Posts
Its actually worse than it was before..
I need to find the voltages for the fuel pump and test everything again..
A few other things I've seen on guys trying to figure this drama out..
*Fuel pump assembly- fuel pipe bent (placing tank on ground when full of gas.. pipe bends under the weight)
*Fuel Hose kinked - sometimes not visible inside the plastic braided lines
*Kick Stand switch - mines bypassed
*TPS sensor damages or out of voltage range
*Fuel Tank Venting '- either by the overflow pipe or not venting through the gas cap
*Fuel strainer/ t Bag filter
*Fuel Flow Regulator (no idea how to test this or what its "supposed to" look like when fitted correctly
*Fuel Pump assembly- Ground wire broken underneath the black plastic seal under the pump (I think I must check this again)
*2nd Dary Secrondary Throttle Actuator (no idea what this is)
*Vacume Leaks (checked everything I can find)
*Battery - reading correctly but on it's way out or intermittent
*ECU - bad or faulty
*Fuel Pump Relay (can't find it)

That's just off the top of my head and everything I can think of for the moment..

out how to do a pressure test

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its actually worse than it was before..
I need to find the voltages for the fuel pump and test everything again..
A few other things I've seen on guys trying to figure this drama out..
*Fuel pump assembly- fuel pipe bent (placing tank on ground when full of gas.. pipe bends under the weight)
*Fuel Hose kinked - sometimes not visible inside the plastic braided lines
*Kick Stand switch - mines bypassed
*TPS sensor damages or out of voltage range
*Fuel Tank Venting '- either by the overflow pipe or not venting through the gas cap
*Fuel strainer/ t Bag filter
*Fuel Flow Regulator (no idea how to test this or what its "supposed to" look like when fitted correctly
*Fuel Pump assembly- Ground wire broken underneath the black plastic seal under the pump (I think I must check this again)
*2nd Dary Secrondary Throttle Actuator (no idea what this is)
*Vacume Leaks (checked everything I can find)
*Battery - reading correctly but on it's way out or intermittent
*ECU - bad or faulty
*Fuel Pump Relay (can't find it)

That's just off the top of my head and everything I can think of for the moment..

out how to do a pressure test
Sorry been cramming into my bike...so I went ahead and rode my bike to my brothers shop where I can take it apart and leave it apart with no worries. Yesterday I took off my throttle body and cleaned my fuel injectors out with a contraption I put together. In going back now to put it back together. I checked the resistance on the injectors and the primary injectors are right on spec...I think it's 11.5-12.3.... the injectors all read 12.3...the secondary injectors where a bit high... I think standard is 10.5...3 read 10.7 and 1 read 10.9....(those are the ones that sit on top)..when I read the manual, secondary injectors only come on around 8000rpm...(right around our boggy issue)...ima try a run with them cleaned and if it persists I'm going to replace the secondary injectors..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok just put everything back together...took it around a few corners and OH BOYYY....the power difference is very noticeable...no bogging...no lagging. I have to adjust my idle down a tad bit but my oh my....my baby is back....I'll post another update after I idle it down and ride her tough...so far so good though.

INJECTORS....CLEAN INJECTORS....atleast do the secondary if you cant get to the primary cause those are the ones that kick on at 8000rpm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Set the chain slack

Make sure you got all your washers. I lost one of mines in the shop somewhere and now my tank doesn't fit 100% snug....gotta find it or replace it

·
Registered
9 Posts
So the issue was clogged vent lines and the secondary injectors needing to be cleaned?
Problem persisted after the clogged vent lines.... but needed to be unclogged nonetheless.
I'm leaning towards clogged injectors...
I cleaned all 8(primary and secondary) but the manual stated the secondary injectors kick in when the rpm reaches 8000rpm...my issue was around the 6k-8k band....so I'm thinking maybe just the secondary was the issue....but I did do both sets so just say CLOGGED INJECTORS

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
37 Posts
I took the spark plugs out and when I tried to get the spark plug out at the number 1 coil pack it snapped off like a dry twig.
Got to get someone out here who can extract the thread out of my engine casing.

I've never seen any spark plug break that easily..there was a lot of solid looking oil build up inside the socket when I checked it. .

Won't know if that was for sure the issue until I can change all my plugs..

My vent line on my new tank was also very backed up...solid white powdery goop in it.. got that all out.

I'm doubtful if its the tank not fitting correctly..I really can't see anything odd about the hose routing when lowering the tank?

VERY GLAD to hear your bike is running sweet again mate !!! Nice to have your bike back..

I'm a bit limited in how to clean injectors with what I have available at home at least...

Any tips?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took the spark plugs out and when I tried to get the spark plug out at the number 1 coil pack it snapped off like a dry twig.
Got to get someone out here who can extract the thread out of my engine casing.

I've never seen any spark plug break that easily..there was a lot of solid looking oil build up inside the socket when I checked it. .

Won't know if that was for sure the issue until I can change all my plugs..

My vent line on my new tank was also very backed up...solid white powdery goop in it.. got that all out.

I'm doubtful if its the tank not fitting correctly..I really can't see anything odd about the hose routing when lowering the tank?

VERY GLAD to hear your bike is running sweet again mate !!! Nice to have your bike back..

I'm a bit limited in how to clean injectors with what I have available at home at least...

Any tips?
All you need is a 9v battery, some loose wiring and something that can apply pressure to shoot cleaner through the injector. I used this transfer pump from Advance auto I got for $8...the hose fits right over the injector when you take the o ring off..and you apply pressure when you pump it(be careful cause the injector will fly off if too much pressure is applied) I had the nozzle running into a bottle of paint thinner...which works wonders in cleaning injectors...

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
37 Posts
All you need is a 9v battery, some loose wiring and something that can apply pressure to shoot cleaner through the injector. I used this transfer pump from Advance auto I got for $8...the hose fits right over the injector when you take the o ring off..and you apply pressure when you pump it(be careful cause the injector will fly off if too much pressure is applied) I had the nozzle running into a bottle of paint thinner...which works wonders in cleaning injectors...
Lol.. I've been a bit offline..probably because I've been sitting under a running shower to hide the fact that I'm crying around wife .. swapped the plugs. Ran great for about a mile or two. Took her out the next day for essentials.. and bogging down again.

Did a complete job of re-seating the airbox (rubber gasket was dead) cleaned the air filter.
When I opened up the airbox one of the stacks was somehow twisted to the side ..
No clue how that happened..
The Alan bolt clamps that hold the airbox in place were a bit out of shape. Rounded and I battled to get them off. Dremmeled a slit into each side so I could fasten them with a flat screw driver..
Problem solved.. airbox sorted.
Spark Plug/coil pack #1 wasn't 100% in place either.. think I was a bit paranoid about over tightening it after the snapped plug. Which was a big challenge to get taken out during lockdown..

Last thing I found was a bunch of junk in the fuel assembly nozzle itself.. used a cable like the one you used to clean your overflow..
Bunch of white cruddy stuff came out...
After a lot of hesitation almost expecting more of the same .. I was super excited to be rocketing up the rev range like the bike rolled off the factory floor..
What a relief to finally have my bike back (y)

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
37 Posts
Just to recap for anyone else who is going through this troubleshooting process...

I figured something else out after the problem started yet again..

Cleaning or replacing the t-bag filter is one part of the mystery.
The other built in filter is not serviceable.. but that doesn't mean you can't clean it.

I submerged the entire top part of the fuel pump assembly/plastic housing in some hot water and detergent.. and then petrol.

Both times it brought out a lot of crap I couldn't see ...

Cleaning or replacing the fuel pressure regulator and seating those rubber O-rings properly makes a good deal of difference as well.

I had no clue how quiet the fuel pump could actually run ..

But ALWAYS start this process with looking at WHAT WAS CHANGED last.

For me; this started with a new tank.. which some dodgy SOB sold me as "pristine"

It wasn't pristine.. not at all. The problem behind this nightmare was a split in the metal seems which isn't easily visible from the hole for the fuel pump assembly...

Long story short.. it was treated with something that was leaking crap into my fuel pump and strainer and everything else connected...

Sure I'll have to get my injectors cleaned out now... but the bike is running very well now.

But I shouldn't have been avoiding the obvious fact that it started after I put the tank on...

Two months later.. expensive lesson learned

1 - 20 of 20 Posts