Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 zx6r is doing something weird.
When I downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear it goes into neutral. It's as if it's skipping second gear. My oil in the bike is still fresh and was changed a thousand miles ago. Does this mean I need a new clutch or is it a different issue????

P.S I'm brand new here but not new to motorcycles but I can really use some assistance and/or maybe someone experienced the same issue I'm having

·
Registered
78 Posts
My first thought is a bent selector, But that said it's an odd fault.
Did you have any previous false Neutrals between any gears or grinding when you missed a down shift ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, none at all. I can't find anyone with this issue. I think it could be just a petty issue but it's killing me not knowing what it is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 2007 Ninja 650R. I would downshift from 4th to 3rd, but it would not stay in 3rd and kept popping back out to 4th. The cause was the shift drum and worn shift forks. I have heard Kawi's tend to have this issue with the transmissions, so it may be your problem as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you ever get it fixed? If so, What did you do exactly? I find that odd because your issue sounds like a clutch slipping, my friend had an issue like that and he replaced the clutch and the bike was back to normal (it was a 2016 zx6r) I'm thinking I may need a new clutch and I'll be fine but it's still weird to me since it only happens on downshifts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I do ride pretty hard and aggressive and race the bike. It is a 2009 so the clutch is 11 years old. Not saying it's the clutch for sure but one guy with a zx10r said the same thing happened to him and he replaced the clutch and it was fine after.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is also a street bike that I have converted to track and raced for over 6 years now. So definitely not babied either, haha.

I had mine fixed at a local race shop. Replaced the shift drum and the shift forks. The owner of the shop also raced the 650R for a few years so was well familiar with them and their issues.

I initially thought it might have been the clutch, but it was consistently only the fourth to third downshift so I knew it had to be something else.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh, I also did have a period when I kept getting false neutrals in certain areas on the track. However, that ended up being my shift pedal not being at the proper height position for me to fully engage the gear. Once I lowered the pedal height and more fully engaged the shift, I have not had any issues since.

Just a thought to make sure you are fully engaging the gear shift.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the cost is about the same between the two. A bit easier doing the clutch.

Luckily the 650R has a cassette type transmission and is easily accessed without splitting the engine case which keeps the cost of transmission issues down. You basically just pull the transmission out of the side of the engine and have access to it. No need to remove the engine from the frame and open it up.

Adjusting the gear selection pedal is a matter of minutes with a 10mm wrench.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the cost is about the same between the two. A bit easier doing the clutch.

Luckily the 650R has a cassette type transmission and is easily accessed without splitting the engine case which keeps the cost of transmission issues down. You basically just pull the transmission out of the side of the engine and have access to it. No need to remove the engine from the frame and open it up.

Adjusting the gear selection pedal is a matter of minutes with a 10mm wrench.
Yea my clutch footrest is tight and I never mess around or adjust it. I'm low key hoping it's my clutch cause it would be easier and cheaper to do. Plus I'd have a brand new clutch. I think I'll just replace the clutch and hope for the best. I appreciate your responses bro, stay safe 🙏💪🙌

1 - 11 of 11 Posts