Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Not much info out there for solutions for this but here goes:

After changing sprocket sizes (-1F/+1R) the gear indicator is not working (produces a dashed line) and I'm getting a check engine light. Code is "25" which is gear indicator circuit 馃う...it's obviously related to the sprocket change.

Is there a fix for this?
Healtech says theirs
speedohealer won't resolve this and a tuner I've used says he doesn't know of a resolution via programming.

It's a new bike. That CEL bothers me and it sucks not having a gear indicator. Bike appears to perform normal otherwise. Guess this is just a nuisance light? Is it ok to ride in this condition?

2021 Ninja 650 ABS

Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
I'd check if the cables coming from the gear indicator got pinched or unplugged during front sprocket change, rather easy to do that. Other than that the only thing I can think of is ECU is massively confused about speed and rpm not lining up, but -1F +1R shouldn't result in a massive speed differential, at least the ECU should be able to handle it. So again, probably some damage or connection issue from sprocket change.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cable is fine. Nothing came unplugged. No damages. Bike is brand new.

No one else has experienced this? I've read in other forums this was an issue with the newer model ecu.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tremonte seems to think:

If the gear indication sensor and wheel speed sensor detect more than a ~7% difference from stock settings, it thinks something is wrong and blanks the display with the FI light. The only way to correct it is with an ECU recalibration or be creative and build a voltage divider circuit.

Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
Tremonte seems to think:

If the gear indication sensor and wheel speed sensor detect more than a ~7% difference from stock settings, it thinks something is wrong and blanks the display with the FI light. The only way to correct it is with an ECU recalibration or be creative and build a voltage divider circuit.
Probably the case, it's odd because your gearing change shouldn't cause that much of a change in the speed reading. Probably worth recalibrating anyway, Kawi dealers should be able to do it and I doubt they'd charge more than 30 bucks.

Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
Is there such a thing as an ecu recalibration? No dealer I know of does this.
Well it's not the ECU, but more specifically the values in it's systems, I'm not sure about the newer Ninja 650s but a lot of bikes have adaptations, where the bike is taught where things are and how they are, a good example is the O2 sensor, it's continually adjusting fuelling but eventually it'll learn enough to have a solid baseline. if you suddenly move to drastically different conditions, it'll struggle initially and it'll take time for it to adjust. The gear position sensor is usually not dependent on the speed of the vehicle so as I said I find it weird that it's doing this, but usually it works by converting the rotation of the shift drum to a linear voltage, and each gear is assigned a voltage value +- tolerance. Sometimes due to changes in the drums resting position or the gear position sensor's readings the bike can't tell what gear it is, say 60掳 is 2nd gear and that translates to 2V and 120掳 is 3rd gear and that's 3V and the position sensor is reading 2.5V when you're in 2nd gear, it wont know what to do with that. To check if this is the case I'd recommend popping the bike up on a stand, turn on ignition, and with your hand slowly start pushing the gear lever, going through the gears, see if a number pops up. If this is the case it's a simple matter of the dealer resetting the voltage values and doing a short calibration. As I said I'm not sure how much of this is the case with the Ninja 650, the older models were extremely simple and had no electronics whatsoever. The newer models may do.

Registered
You can short circuit the clutch switch and then you will never get another CEL. The downside is that you lose the clutch safety switch. This is a common trick for the latest N400 and N650 when changing sprockets. I use it on my own 2017 N650 with +1/-4 sprockets. The gear indicator will randomly come back after some miles or number of restarts. I am fairly certain this is actually an ecu/firmware bug. It only starts complaining on a random gear change, and as far as I know, it can actually affect stock sprockets but much more rare.

Registered
Thank you for taking the time to share the information you have found. I have a 2020 Ninja 650 that is having this issue and the dealer has been clueless about what to do. I appreciate your knowledge!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can confirm that this trick works. Don't listen to the idiot who tells you it's the gear indicator switch. And dealers know very little about the products they sell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts