Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have been reading alot of this forum lately, but not posting, until now that I have a problem. :D
I have not rode in about 9 yrs, but I got a bug up my ass and decided to buy a 2000 ZX6R. I have had it for a week, with no problems. I changed the oil (Rotella T Syn) and I am getting ready to bring it in for a full service minus the oil change.
Today I was riding on the highway and it started to lose power, when I pulled over it died. I started it right up again, and it rode for a while long and did the same thing, I tried starting it again it cranked fine but would not start, I gave it a full choke after sitting for a while (80F temp here so it was not cold)and it started up for about a mile. So after pushing it about 10 miles I reached a Auto store and had the battery recharged because I cranked it too many times (it died the day I got it because of the alarm on it, so I am told). After I had the battery recharged it ran great again, no sputtering and it did not die. I smelled gas a lot around it, but I am pretty sure I did not flood it, when I park it for the night I leave the peacock at the on postion, which I won't do anymore.
My question is: can this be a symphtom of a weak battery, it cranked for a couple times with no problems, and once it was running does the battery have enough of an effect to kill power? My first thought was that the fuel system has a problem.
Thanks for reading this far

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You pushed your bike for 10 miles!?

It may not be the battery, but you can test it with a voltmeter. After charging it to a 12.6+ V terminal voltage, wait 30 minutes, and then remeasure the terminal voltage.

• If the terminal voltage is 12.6 V or higher, the battery is good.
  • If it is between 12.0 and 12.6 V, the charge is insufficient. Recharge the battery.
  • If it is 12.0 V or lower, the battery is unserviceable. Replace the battery.

If the battery is good, you can get the most out of it by using a battery tender.

Also, you can safely leave the fuel tap in the on position.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
While it does seem electrical due to the battery charge working, it also sounds a lot like a fuel problem.
I had a very similar experience this spring, turned out to be water in my tank, but it could also be dirt/bad gas.

I'd suggest taking off the tank, drainining it totally, and also drain the carbs while the tank is off.
Right below the airbox you'll see the 4 carbs. On each one, there is a little collar (like the type you make a dog wear when it get stitches so it wont bite them) and inside the collar is a small screw. Loosen that a bit, and fuel will start dripping out the nipple right beside it. Have something below to catch it.

Do this on all 4 carbs.
Preferably, you should replace the fuel filter as well while your at it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice, I will do a full maintance. I will change out the fuel filter, spark plugs, and I bought a new battery already ($68.00 at discount autoparts) I should have done a full tune up when I first got it, but it was too hard not to ride it. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
exact same situation as christo. i bought a 2000 zx6r last saturday, drove it all day yesterday on side streets but as soon as i got on the highway it lost power and died. finally got it started again only to have it die 3 more times on the way home. i could go about a mile and it would loose power and die. got within half a mile of my place and just pushed it back.

i talked to a friend who has car experience and he suggested using carb cleaner in the gas tank, changing the spark plugs, or changing the fuel filter. any advice? i wanted to check on with people who have specific knowledge about bikes before i tried anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your battery, I have had no problems since I replaced mine. I decided that I would change out spark plugs and air filter just in case, so I changed the spark plugs last night and the fuel filter looks clean, but my air filter was dirty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tested my battery, its fine. changed spark plugs even though the current ones werent that bad. it starts now, but only with full choke. idles at ~1200 rpms and if i give it throttle or turn off choke at all it dies. there is also a strong gas smell when its started that lingers for a while after i turn it off or it dies.

my air filter was pretty clean, and my carbs looked brand new from the top. next thing i was going to try is draining the carbs and tank. the fuel filter looked clean, but i was thinking to replace it anyway.

any advice?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hate to ask, but how many miles had you put on that tank of gas, and did you switch to reserve?
Have you since filled the tank up with gas and has the problem gone away?

Also, is the bike starting and running fine now, or are you still having problems?
If its running perfect again, I'd ride it until the tank gets low on fuel, and see if it happens again.
Might be water/bad gas in the bottom portion of the tank.

BC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
only put 80 miles on it and the tank was full. switched to reserve as well.
i just got done draining the tank and carbs (got a little less than 2 gallons out of the tank). put about the same amount back in, jumped it and started it up after some coughing. left it running for ~20 mins then took it out. seems to be ok for now, but i'm going to take drive around the loop a few times this evening after i get finished up at work.

thanks for all the help so far. i'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
might need you carbs syncronized

·
Registered
166 Posts
i was thinking a fuel problem until you said it ran fine after the battery was charged back up. Maybe your generator isn't charging your battery so the bike is running the battery down to the point the bike won't run.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like syncronizing carbs is pretty easy if you have the tools. I will have to search for a good carb tuner.
I also put some stp fuel cleaner in the tank and it seems to run better now. Looks like its time to get the valves cleaned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.