Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2015 ninja 650 last week. It only came with 1 key and I was meaning to get a copy made, but... Anyways I lost the only key I had. Theres a small chance i could find it because I'm in the middle of moving. But here's my dilemma so far, I've looked at the part numbers and from I can see, the ninja 650 and the ZX-6R share the same part. Here's the parts diagram for the Ninja 650.

And here's the diagram for the ZX-6R

I'm curious if you guys could help me identify exactly what all parts I would need to get all the locks replaced (Ignition, gas tank, and rear seat) .
And I also found this set on ebay for 70$ (theres cheaper as well)

This set is for the ZX-6R and thinking that it should fit since some of the part numbers are the same. Couldnt find the full lock kit for the 650.

Another issue I'm gonna have is getting the gas cap off without the key. Any suggestions for me or input. I was thinking about trying the local procaliber or dealership to see if they can cut me a copy with the vin# but I've read that they dont offer that anymore. I'll give that a try tomorrow. But I'd like to replace the locks because some of em can be a lil sticky. So if any of you guys have had any experience with the Ignition or tumblers, give me some Insight please. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pretty sure the cap comes off without having to open the tank but not 100% sure
Generally If the parts match in number then they should fit.
the main issue may be wiring and fit of the ignition. But again, if it’s the same part number ....it should slot straight in

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  • I think I got it figured out. None of the dealerships record the information for the key code in there files. So they cant give me shit lol. But I think I just need to get some blank keys. Take the Ignition out and use the key code that's imprinted on there at a locksmith to have them cut the teeth down to the proper size referenced from the key code. Supposedly there are cheat codes on the gas tank and rear seat lock. But from what I've heard the gas tank needs a key to come out and I am most likely to damage the bike if I just go to the ignition. In order to get to the Ignition, I need to take the triple clamp off (at least loosen I think.) Then I possibly might need to drill the security (break away) bolts out of the ignition to get access to that key code. If anybody has done this before or has experienced please let me know. I'm hoping this route Works instead of having to go through buying a whole new lock set. Or paying the 175$ to take the bike down to the locksmith and have them mold a key from the ignition.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I’ve done a front end swap on mine and so I can check and see where the number is and whether it needs drilling out.
if you do need to drill then the easiest way i found was to take off the triple and flip it upside down. Clamp it on to one leg of the bike while you drill. This way it’ll stay steady You can trace the wiring back and unplug it to put it in a vice but the plug is a bit buried in the bike.
I used a fine pilot drill first and then went bigger and bigger until the head of the screw cam off. The bolts are 6mm and sharp drills made short work of them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts