Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***for a 2005 zx6r - other years may be different***

Lost my only key recently and went through a painful process of research, calling dealers and not knowing what to do. Well I have the solution! To have a key cut for your bike you need the key code and a blank key. The key code IS on the seat lock....it starts with Z5 and then three other digits (example key code - Z5657) Once you get this code you can buy a few blank keys from the dealer and take the key code and keys to a locksmith shop and have them cut. Make sure to bring your registration and ID to show the locksmith! It is very easy to get the rear seat off the bike without your key...all you need is minimal tools! PM me if you want instructions! Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I've been thinking about getting an additional copy made. I have no idea what happened to the spare key the original owner gave to me with the bike.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Piqued my interest so I tore into the tail end of the bike. Mine starts G5***. Good find, I didn't have an original key with my bike and the spares that I have aren't cut properly and don't allow the key to turn the ignition to the parking light setting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't stress how important it is to find your key code if you don't already know it. Don't wait til you really need it, it should be one of the first things you record from the dealer. When I had a 250, I had to cut off the helmet lock to get to my key code. At least you just have to remove the seat for the 6r

·
Registered
192 Posts
lets just hope no one shady reads this post and starts stealing 636's!!!!!!!!:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would take a lot of work....they would need to get your lock off to find your key code, then find a way to get a key cut without registration and even if they had that they wouldn't have ID to match the registration. I guess it could be done but 4 guys picking your bike up and throwing it in the back of a truck seems quite a bit more probable. I wouldn't let it worry you.

·
Powerhungry
37,951 Posts
another thing to try is...spray some lube or graphite into ur igntion cylinder. and take a new blank and turn it back and forth.. to mark the key. then just get a good 3 sided file and start filing. i dont think itd take as long as removing the seat either

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.