Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same sort of problem I just did...

The other night I was out for a ride, I grabbed my usual gear - cell phone, hat, house keys, and wallet. Nothing out of the ordinary...

I made a stop downtown at the local pub, to visit some friends, and after I opened the hatch, that's when I noticed something missing. My house keys were strangely absent. Everything else was there though.

I must have had the dumbest look on my face, but after thinking about it for a while, I figured that because the bike is setup so stiff, the keys (two on a ring...) were jostled about and made their way out of the tray, and down the side of the tail - to, who knows where!?! I retraced my steps for a while on the streets hoping to catch a shiny glint at the side of the road under a street lamp, but to no avail.

My house keys are gone. I felt like such a knob. I haven't lost my keys since the 5th grade!

Anybody else have the same incident?

[V]

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
lol, i heard of guys losing cell phones while doing wheelies...i haven't lost anything yet.
did you put your keys under the pass. seat?

·
Registered
934 Posts
HA-HA :D

Sorry Buddy, I think that's the reason I carry my cell, wallet, and assorted keys on me... After hearing the disc lock bouncing around in the "trunk" there's no way I'd be putting anything of any value in there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i lost my cell in my tail froma wheelie, it busted open and the face plate battery keypad everything went and nestled into the tailk, had to take the tail apart to get it. never found my sim card tho...[xx(]

·
Registered
422 Posts
I HAVE ONE OF THOSE BAGS THAT A BOTTLE OF CROWN ROYAL COMES IN. I PUT EVERYTHING IN THERE THEN TIE THE STRINGS..THEN ATTACH THE LOOP OF THE KNOT TO THE RUBBER THINGY THAT HOLDS THE TOOL POUCH IN. IT CAN BE A TAD TIME CONSUMING IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY...BUT I'D RATHER TAKE MY TIME THEN LOSE MY PHONE KEYS AND SUCH.

HAVEN'T BEEN PULLED OVER YET SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE COPS WILL THINK WHEN THEY SEE THIS AS I GET MY INSURANCE AND REGISTRATION ;)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hah I have a similar story.

I drove to the supermarket on my bike, and after pickin up some stuff I went to put the key in the ignition. It hit the edge (I wasn't looking) and fell into the fairing somewhere. I jiggled the bike and reached around in there but couldn't find it. Now I'm stranded in the lot trying to jiggle this locked bike because I have no other way to get home. After about 10 or 20 minutes I was able to locate the key and use a stick to wedge it out from the cables. [:eek:)]

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider
Hah I have a similar story.

I drove to the supermarket on my bike, and after pickin up some stuff I went to put the key in the ignition. It hit the edge (I wasn't looking) and fell into the fairing somewhere. I jiggled the bike and reached around in there but couldn't find it. Now I'm stranded in the lot trying to jiggle this locked bike because I have no other way to get home. After about 10 or 20 minutes I was able to locate the key and use a stick to wedge it out from the cables. [:eek:)]
I'll bet you got some pretty strange looks.:D lol

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I lost my disc lock and my $100 headset I use at work after Mike636 and I installed an undertail on my bike.
Apparently we did not bolt it down tight enough, one side came out and dumped it all out.

Now nothing heavy rests on the tail, the new disclock goes in its pouch which is secured to the subframe.

·
Registered
650 Posts
when I first got my bike, I had placed my big wad of keys (luckily the VW key is massive), I also had my lipgloss(gotta have that, hehe) and 2 $20 bills (loosely)under the seat for a ride to a bike night....well...my keys were still there when I got there...but like you guys have said, it gets lost in the fairing, doesn't actually fall out, so luckily I got it all back (I only cared about the lipgloss!):D! So now I wrap all the stuff in a small hand towel and it all stays in the little tray!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I left the key in my disc lock and it must have vibrated out. Then when I open the trunk, I saw it gleaming at me through the little rectangle opening where the tool bag strap latches on. There is plenty of space down in there for stuff to get caught on/in. Take the back apart and see if you can find them. Let us know.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
don't take keys. just leave the door open;) I have 3 dogs[:0] there my keys[xx(]

·
Registered
558 Posts
i dont put anything in that little tray. the only thing i lost in that litle tray was an air pressure gauge i lost it a while ago and just found it recently cos i took my tail fairing out now it goes in my tool kit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I put my id in my jacket along with my garage door opener and cell phone. I dont take any other keys besides the bike key. As long as I remember to zip the jacket I am in good shape.

-Squidly

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, for a minute, I thought I was going to be the only boob on here who had that problem...

Now, before I head out, I just check to make sure that everything is secure. I'm not too worried about the bigger stuff, but the little things can go missing, so I put them in a zip-lock bag... at least that's weather proof!

[:I]

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I've never lost anything out of the tail, but one time I was getting to go out for an all day ride with some buddies, and thought I'd stop by the post office and mail some bills out. Since I had about seven envelopes, I figured I could stick them in my back pocket, and they would stay long enough to get to the P.O. which was about a mile down the road.

After the bike warmed up, I hopped on, and noticed that I needed gas. I go to the gas station, fill up, leave, and totally forgot about stopping at the P.O.! It wasn't until I got on the highway, and tucked under the windscreen that all my bills go flying out of my backpocket and into traffic[:0]

I went back and searched for them, but only found a few. Talk about a suck ass morning. The phone company didn't believe my story, and charged me late fees! Bastards.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had the same xact thing happen to me.

i put my keys in the tail and left the house got to work. (i work at a bank and have like 4 important keys) i was shit, but luckly they dangled and got stuck where i can barely see them. I was in a panic for about 15 minutes cause i had all the keys to open the banks doors up.

never again, now i just have a ankle sock that i put all my small shit in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.