Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls... I'm new to the site, and fairly new to the world of motorcycles. I've been seriously considering purchasing a Ninja 250 but am still not positive I want to go through with it. I took the MSF course and got my endorsement, so I'm all set to ride, I just don't know if I should spend a lot of money on a bike. I absolutely love being a passenger, and I know I'd love having my own, but I'm not sure if I will ride it enough to make it worth the purchase. So here come the questions: [:I]

How often do you ride? Do you think you ride enough to actually save money on gas (given the amount you paid for the bike). How do you combat things like having a dresscode (eg., business atire) at work, but wanting to be able to ride your bike there? Do you ride as much as you thought you would? I guess my main questions is, is it worth it?! I know I'd love it, but I'd hate to spend the money and not get enough use out of it. (Also given my location... MI doesn't have that many riding-friendly months.)

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated! :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome KO! The price you pay for your 250 or whatever you decide to get will be well worth the price in enjoyment, regardless of how often you ride it to work. The weather is so unpredictable that I don't ride mine to work often, but most often in the evenings with the hubby and other local riders. Also, you'd be surprised at the support you get from fellow male riders. As for gas mileage, I get anywhere between 60-90 mpg on my 250. Dress code, I work at a honda dealership and wear uniforms so it's no big deal for me really. But if your code requires you to wear a dress/skirt just roll one up and put it in your back pack with your heels and change when you get to work. Invest in a riding jacket too. Sorry for rambling on, but to answer your question ... well worth the investment! I don't plan to ever get rid of mine being my first bike and all (sentimental that way) so $3000 over a period of several years of personal enjoyment seems well worth it to me!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by xoKOxo
I took the MSF course and got my endorsement, so I'm all set to ride.

How often do you ride?
Do you think you ride enough to actually save money on gas (given the amount you paid for the bike).
How do you combat things like having a dresscode (eg., business atire) at work, but wanting to be able to ride your bike there?
Do you ride as much as you thought you would?
I guess my main questions is, is it worth it?!
Hi xoKOxo- Let's break your questions down...First off, congrats on taking the initial step of doing the course, more often then not people put the cart before the horse so-to-speak and get a bike first then... So good job!

I think you have a valid point regarding weather concerns and that's something you have to take into consideration. However, I ride almost every weekend and sometimes during the week (just depends what is going on). But I live in Calif. so our prime riding time is much longer then yours (it sounds like).

It being worth it has to be something that comes from within you (your desire). Anyone individual on this or any other site can justify the cost compared to the experience, but you may need to sit with that. In my opinion (IMO) it is DEFINITELY worth it even if I only rode twice a month, but I LOVE to ride so again its a personal decision.

The work thing is something I can't really comment on. I work in a very casual atmosphere so dresscode is not an issue for me. But I would think perhaps taking a backpack with nicer clothes (unless you have to dress in a suit) might be appropriate. Make sure you take hair products with you (on a day you drive not ride) and store them at your desk for quick touch-ups to avoid the HELMET HAIR look all day!

I ride as much if not more then I thought I would upon initial purchase.

Worth it? Again, personal decision based on your committment level. IMO - HELL YES! I can't imagine my life without a bike and plan to keep it that way! :D

Good Luck to you and I hope to hear (someday) your running on two wheels with the rest of us!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi congrats i am a new rider for a month (500 miles) too. i bought a 250 and i am starting to get used to it/am falling in love with it.
it is a 2nd vehicle/ toy so it doesnt save me money. it costs $ (but it's cheap FUN 300/yr insurance msf discount, plus 2.06 today anyhow for 55 city miles per gallon plus service/maintenences) but i have commuted a few times to work and will do even more. i ride for fun every good weather day mid mornings usually so far. the times i commuted i too put a backpack w/ work clothes / shoes and left a little early to change.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
welcome to both our new ladies!

xoKOxo- congrats on taking the class! it's invaluable! since i live so close to you, i may have some answers to your questions...

i ride almost every day it's not raining or below 40. i have cold weather gear that i wear over my busniess clothes and getting to ride to and from work makes my day!!! if you want to see how that works, you can check out joerocket.com and look for "ballistic gear". it's warm, water proof and will fit over your business casuals. i have an icon backpack that's made for laptops and i just commute away!

i do save money on gas- my "car" is a subaru outback and it only gets about 27 mpg. 55 is a LOT better than that in stop and go & i get closer to 70 when i ride hard.

mileage in the northern midwest... the first year i had my 250, i put 10,000 miles on between the months of april and november. how many months you can get in before the salt comes really depends on what kind of gear you have to stay warm. my mother rides in the dead of winter sometimes- she has a heated set of gloves and a vest that plug in to her battery. mmmmm- toasty. it's called "widder".

you can get a 6 month insurance policy and cancel it for the winter months. i don't bother because occasionally we get that 70 degree day in february (you know what i'm talkin about!) and i just couldn't deal with not being legal given an opportunity like that!

depending on wether you buy new or used you're looking at putting out somewhere between $1000 and $3500. if you are worried about monthly expense but can't buy outright, you can try to get financed through kawasaki. they finance through household bank and you can get a fixed rate somewhere around 6%, last time i checked. i bought a $4,000 dirtbike through kawi and my payment is $40 a month. of course, i pay more because i'd like to actually own it sometime before i'm 50, but when there's a tight month (like in january when the gas bill is a million dollars) i just make the minimum.

good luck with your decision. look me up if you're ever in ohio!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.