Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having a heap of trouble! I took my bike into a Kawasaki dealership (that I don't normally deal with) to have a Factory Authorized Repair for the valve gasket completed on my 2007 Ninja ZX6R. At the same time since they had the bike pulled apart it was an opportune time to have them adjust the valves.

So....I dropped my bike off in perfect working condition. The valve adjustment and gasket replacement took 2.5 hours longer than they said it would. I got my bike back and the horn wasn't hooked up, the tank wasn't mounted correctly (wobbling side to side), and the oil pressure light came on halfway home.

Dealership was closed so I called them in the morning. They picked up the bike, had it for another whole day.

1)They acknowledged they messed up not re-connecting the horn.
2)They tried to say the tank wobbling might not have been their fault but they mounted it back properly (it never moved before I brought the bike to them and I had a pre-buy inspection done at another dealership with no issues on the bike)
3)Said they didn't know why the oil pressure light was coming on but that it hadn't come on for them and they're hoping it resolved itself (gotta call bs on this since I had turned my bike off at least three times and it came on every time after being started and running for about 2 minutes....no way it didn't come on for them at the shop)

I rode my bike today and oil pressure light came on again after about 100kms. Almost same time oil pressure light was on, I heard clunking from the left side of my engine. Pulled over right away and shut off the bike. Started it up again and oil pressure light was off for a few seconds but quickly came back on and clunking sound with any revving. No clunking sound at idle.

Called them to have bike picked up and returned to shop so they can figure out what they did and fix it. Kicker is they're trying to shirk responsibility for the clunking and the oil pressure issue.

Seems like they are trying to cover their asses by grasping at straws and claiming this is all a coincidence. As far as I can see, I brought my bike into them in perfect working condition for a factory authorized replacement of the valve gasket (which they had claimed the work for and already been paid by Kawasaki Canada last year, even though they never did the work...that's why I had to take it there) and preventative maintenance having the valves adjusted.

I get my bike back and the tech has forgotten to hook up my horn, incorrectly mounted my tank back on my bike and the oil pressure light is coming on when it never did before they touched my bike. and now loud clunking coming from my engine

I realize this is difficult to diagnose on a forum but just want to get some ideas of what MIGHT affect oil pressure as a result of incorrect valve adjustments or sloppy work while doing valves?

I have the feeling they will try to tell me anything possible to try and get out of covering the cost of repairing my bike after they messed up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Wow, that sucks! Valve adjustment requires removing the cams if I'm not mistaken, which can affect timing if they don't put them back exactly the same on the cam chain. I think that could cause the noise you are hearing. Or they left something loose in there, or any number of other things. I would use the fact that you had it pre-inspected to your advantage here. Get the factory involved as well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is gonna sound dumb and obvious but is there enough oil in the bike? If it was low wouldn't that set off the light?

Sounds like there is some more devious going on tho like the previous poster said. If the timing is off you would get a knocking noise so the cam idea makes sense.

I looked at the service manual for the valve adjustment and from that and what I have read from other people it is pretty involved.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Your motor is fucked. If you see a low pressure light come on on ANY vehicle you shut the thing off immediately and coast to a stop. NEVER let a motor run without oil pressure.

You need a new motor now, and I highly doubt the dealership is gonna pay for it. Expensive lesson to learn. No oil pressure = no lubrication = metal touches metal = your clunking engine. I guarantee you have at least one chewed up bearing. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your motor is fucked. If you see a low pressure light come on on ANY vehicle you shut the thing off immediately and coast to a stop. NEVER let a motor run without oil pressure.

You need a new motor now, and I highly doubt the dealership is gonna pay for it. Expensive lesson to learn. No oil pressure = no lubrication = metal touches metal = your clunking engine. I guarantee you have at least one chewed up bearing. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
LarryJ, I think you misunderstood. I didn't ride the bike when the oil pressure light came on. As soon as I saw the oil pressure light come on I did pull over ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is gonna sound dumb and obvious but is there enough oil in the bike? If it was low wouldn't that set off the light?

Sounds like there is some more devious going on tho like the previous poster said. If the timing is off you would get a knocking noise so the cam idea makes sense.

I looked at the service manual for the valve adjustment and from that and what I have read from other people it is pretty involved.

Not dumb at all, but yes there was enough oil in the bike. That was the first thing I checked when I pulled over. It's almost like the oil pressure light would come on when the temp of my bike went over about 105 degrees. If they put the wrong type of oil in my bike could that cause the oil pressure sensor to come on if it thinned out too much due to heat and friction???

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just had mine done too 07zx6r.. they replaced mine and the cct... the fact is the valve cover gasket does not fix the bike 100 percent if u make the dealer look and show u the print out from kawi it tells them to replace the O RING POSITION SENSOR too other wise u may still have a leak in a week or two

·
Registered
448 Posts
I looked through the service manual again. The previous poster was correct that the camshaft needs to come out if they need to adjust the valves. The valve lifters and tensioner also come out.

Did they just check the clearance or actually adjust the valves clearance?

Sounds like there's a number of places where something could go wrong if they need to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is from another forum posting about oil pressure light coming on...what I'm wondering is if any of these issues could be caused from when the dealership did the valve adjustment:

Oil Pressure Warning Light Goes On:

Engine oil pump damaged
Engine oil screen clogged
Engine oil filter clogged
Engine oil level too low
Engine oil viscosity too low
(oil pressure light did seem to come on only when bike temp was higher)
Camshaft bearing worn
Crankshaft bearing worn
Oil pressure switch damaged
(not sure if this is anywhere near where they would be doing the valve adjustment)
Wiring faulty (they didn't reconnect my horn so wondering what other wiring they may have had to disconnect to do the valve adjustment...perhaps they didn't reconnect something else as well?)
Relief valve stuck open

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked through the service manual again. The previous poster was correct that the camshaft needs to come out if they need to adjust the valves. The valve lifters and tensioner also come out.

Did they just check the clearance or actually adjust the valves clearance?

Sounds like there's a number of places where something could go wrong if they need to adjust the valves.

They replaced shims so I assume that means they actually adjusted the clearance instead of just checking the clearance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Correct. The shims are how they adjusted the valves. I really don't know what to say. There's a lot of things that could be causing the problem and there ia definately the potential for engine damage. You may want to get in contact with kawi and I'm assuming your bike is with the dealer at thw moment.

·
Registered
351 Posts
hi, you're saying they had the cams out to reset the valve clearances right? and now when the engine gets hot the oil light comes on and you get a knocking noise? id say its all going on in the head, have you had the valve cover back off to see if the cam caps are torqued down? id start up there but from what you're saying about the garage it sounds like you'll be needing another motor. and id be ringing kawasaki and informing them of what you've just been through with 1 of their authorized dealers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the final outcome of what was a month long nightmare!

My usual dealership informed me that the Kawi dealership who blew up my bike had contacted them about the service history of my bike. My dealership advised them that I had brought my bike in for a pre-buy inspection which supported my bike was in mint condition. They also informed me that the service manager from the other dealership divulged the damage to my bike and was inquiring as to any possibilities that could offer them deniability!
Basically he was grasping at straws to find any reason to deny responsibility and pass the repair cost along to me.

Thanks to my guys at my usual service centre for backing me up! They advised the dealership of how meticulous I keep my bike and validated the pre-buy inspection and condition of my bike prior to bringing it to the other Kawi dealer for the valve adjustment and gasket.

Bottom Line: In all likeliness, since the tech was clearly rushed that day, (forgot to reconnect my horn, incorrectly mounted my gas tank, forgot to reconnect my fan and left my bike a dirty mess) he forgot to set the cam chain adjuster back in it's correct position. This resulted in the cam chain grinding against the plastic guide. The bits of worn plastic clogged my oil intake which resulted in not enough lubrication and caused a connecting rod to blow.

Total cost of damage to my engine was over $3,000!!!

Although the dealership wouldn't admit to any wrong doing on their part, they did eventually agree to cover the full cost of repairs.

My biggest frustration is not that they blew up my engine, but rather the insulting way the service manager handled the whole situation. He insulted my intelligence by inferring that I believed the horn not being reconnected and the gas tank not being mounted properly were affecting the oil pressure!!! UGH! :2up:

Surprised he didn't try to tell me I need to rotate my tires :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good to hear that your dealer backed you up and that the bike is getting fixed. I have a good dealer near me that I have brought two bikes too. Moral of the story...find a good dealer and stay with them. You shouldn't have had theae problema but they happen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts